DCE .. The answer is nigh.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Unfortunately, we need a bit more than that. I'm not as hard on him with his defence as some (other than the running out of the line sometimes) coz I see him do a lot of important tackles and on the big fellas as well. I do think he's still very committed to the team and that he'd dearly love to win another Premiership before he retires. It will be interesting to see if fresh coaching eyes can have an impact on his game or if it will be a case of teaching old sea eagles new tricks.
It will be interesting to see what effect Siebold will have on DCE's game in 23, with a new coach DCEs game could be reinvented and rejigged somewhat.

Serious question , I wonder if Seibold / Flannagan would make a tough decision and play DCE at 9 , elevating either Humphreys / John’s ( assuming he’s signed ) into the 7 role??

Really , and depending on if the youngsters are up for it , it isn’t a bad idea.

You’d get a crisp passing 9, you’d get a 9 who could “ dart through a hole “ , you’d have an additional kicker , not sure if he’s up for the number of tackles but if it’s golden point you’ve got the best in the business.

Could maybe work.

Geez have you ever seen Johns play? He makes Jacob Arthur look like Horrie Hastings.

The only way he ever plays first grade is if half the club gets struck down with flu (covid) and the other half boycott because they dont like the clour of the jerseys. Couldnt happen in a million years.

Agree. DCE is the director and not the problem. The forwards and hooker are.

I just don't agree with anything you post. Complete nonsense. You love to blame DCE for every loss. Its laughable.

You don't even give him credit for when he wins a man of match, you still have a go at his performance. Thats why when you post comments i know you just enjoy having a dig at him on every occasion.

At least Im balanced. I will post when he has had a poor game or agree with others when he didn't take the right options. Im annoyed as any other supporter when this happens. But will praise him when he does a good job where you simply cannot bring yourself to do this. You just seem to blame every poor performance solely on him. Its ridiculous.

I know he is the captain but its a team sport and we have not been playing like a team of late, and this is because of a whole host of issues including injuries, off field drama, under strength roster, poor attitude or discipline etc

Cleary is good but would not do any better playing for Manly IMO

I don't think DCE is perfect, i support him yes, Im a Manly supporter. I still get annoyed with parts of his game and frustrated but feel we have a lot of things to improve to compete for top 4.
Did that feel good, getting that out, making it personal.

Good for you

Rep game form means dot if a player can not transfer any good level there and on a regular basis to his N R L side and especially being the again highest paid player in the League . Even more then guys like Munster , Teddy , Turbo at his best and naturally others. who are regular proven game breakers . Don "t think that anyone is not acknowledging that D C E is a good footy player and capable [ or occasionally ] of doing some special things on the footy field at club level . But again just so many very ordinary games in the mix over time as well . Again over time just can "t keep attributing the same excuses , like below average pack and so on , a good part of his salary is predicated on sound game management , Again just does not happen on many occasions when it really can count . Then as time moves on , that additional 300 k or so [ no issue being a mil dollar player [ only just ] could again have definitely helped Manly "s prospects by being diverted to or helping to acquire at least another top line player in a crucial position .

Rep game form means dot if a player can not transfer any good level there and on a regular basis to his N R L side and especially being the again highest paid player in the League . Even more then guys like Munster , Teddy , Turbo at his best and naturally others. who are regular proven game breakers . Don "t think that anyone is not acknowledging that D C E is a good footy player and capable [ or occasionally ] of doing some special things on the footy field at club level . But again just so many very ordinary games in the mix over time as well . Again over time just can "t keep attributing the same excuses , like below average pack and so on , a good part of his salary is predicated on sound game management , Again just does not happen on many occasions when it really can count . Then as time moves on , that additional 300 k or so [ no issue being a mil dollar player [ only just ] could again have definitely helped Manly "s prospects by being diverted to or helping to acquire at least another top line player in a crucial position .
As usual right on the money Al, summed up the DCE dilemma really well, we can only hope with a change of coach comes a change in game attitude.

As usual right on the money Al, summed up the DCE dilemma really well, we can only hope with a change of coach comes a change in game attitude.
Big hope but still a hope so that at least is something . Just a Numnut observer in essence but appreciate the encouragement , just seen plenty of high profile Manly players come and go and tend to get a reasonable take on what players have and can offer and value for money .

It will be interesting to see what effect Siebold will have on DCE's game in 23, with a new coach DCEs game could be reinvented and rejigged somewhat.
I reckon dce will be more confused than normal under Seibold but there’s also a possibility dce’s role is changed/simplified if those with influence want it to. I just can’t see dce playing a different game and if rumours of seibold being an ambitious structured attacking coach is true I just envision dce trying too hard and overthinking things more than he does

Note: i am hardwired to be cynical of anything seibold/manly 2023 so take my pessimism with a grain of salt. But I do think it is an interesting discussion whether dce suits more structure or less structure. Seibold was here a few years ago, but probably did a lot of defence during the barrett years rather than attack so hard to tell.

I reckon dce will be more confused than normal under Seibold but there’s also a possibility dce’s role is changed/simplified if those with influence want it to. I just can’t see dce playing a different game and if rumours of seibold being an ambitious structured attacking coach is true I just envision dce trying too hard and overthinking things more than he does

Note: i am hardwired to be cynical of anything seibold/manly 2023 so take my pessimism with a grain of salt. But I do think it is an interesting discussion whether dce suits more structure or less structure. Seibold was here a few years ago, but probably did a lot of defence during the barrett years rather than attack so hard to tell.
You would have to think things will change, no Foran, so now it'll be a DCE Schuster combo. I know they will play one side each in attack on most occasions. And their will be a lot of set plays that demand that they work together well to set up attacking plays.

Big hope but still a hope so that at least is something . Just a Numnut observer in essence but appreciate the encouragement , just seen plenty of high profile Manly players come and go and tend to get a reasonable take on what players have and can offer and value for money .
The good old "value for money" dilemma.
It's always tossed up that DCE is the games highest paid player, but is he really when we see some of supposed contract dollars of other players?

And really, value for money is hard to gauge, how many budget grade halfbacks are out there?
He doesn't get suspended or injured and is a cleanskin off the field too.

If we didn't offer him the money he is on, there would be plenty of other clubs that would, it doesn't necessarily make it right, but that's the reality.
Who could we get for, say $6-700 k to tap DCE on the shoulder?
And who would get for the additional $4-500 k?

DCE is, officially, no longer in the top 17 of Australian players. We've realised this for a long time and now the rest of the RL community has finally caught up. It is galling that our recruitment team offered him a further two year contract when it would have been perfect timing for him to finish his distinguished Manly career in 2023.
Time catches up with everyone. It's a pity the Aussie cricket selectors didn't realise this when they kept picking such an old team in the World Cup, and it backfired.
Manly must give a young halfback some NRL experience in 2023, whoever they regard with the potential to hold down the spot in the coming years.

The good old "value for money" dilemma.
It's always tossed up that DCE is the games highest paid player, but is he really when we see some of supposed contract dollars of other players?

And really, value for money is hard to gauge, how many budget grade halfbacks are out there?
He doesn't get suspended or injured and is a cleanskin off the field too.

If we didn't offer him the money he is on, there would be plenty of other clubs that would, it doesn't necessarily make it right, but that's the reality.
Who could we get for, say $6-700 k to tap DCE on the shoulder?
And who would get for the additional $4-500 k?
would have been interesting if the contract upgrade was for 4 years instead of 8 .[ which it probably should have been ] in D C E : s case and then if Manly would have been or other clubs still prepared to offer 1 , 3 mil ongoing . Certainly hope that Manly have not for his 2 year extension Plenty of clubs have got or did have 2 or 3 very well paid higher profile players , guess that it would be an open question whether the majority give or gave genuine value for money . Know it a bit of a nebulous or open question with general value for money considerations and again in D C E "s case maybe not such an issue for 4 years or so initially but for 8 and maybe ongoing , 1.,3 mil has seemed overs on a lot of other criteria points

DCE is, officially, no longer in the top 17 of Australian players... time catches up with everyone
I don't think DCE's form is slipping, it's more that Cleary has proved his case over the last couple of years and merits the spot.
And yes some of DCE's physical abilities will inevitably diminish as he ages, but his smarts may actually improve. You can't buy experience and he has that in spades in a vital position.

I don't think DCE's form is slipping, it's more that Cleary has proved his case over the last couple of years and merits the spot.
And yes some of DCE's physical abilities will inevitably diminish as he ages, but his smarts may actually improve. You can't buy experience and he has that in spades in a vital position.
I wish I could agree with you, but DCE's "experience" was sadly lacking in a number of matches in 2022. I think you may be one of the few who still regard DCE as good as he was. He's been a champion player, and arguably the most resilient in our history, but I just can't fathom the sense in extending his tenue to 2024 and 2025.

DCE is, officially, no longer in the top 17 of Australian players. We've realised this for a long time and now the rest of the RL community has finally caught up.

That's a rather vacuous statement in my opinion
By that reasoning Brett Stewart was an average fullback because he only played 1 game for the Kangaroos.
If Turbo is fit, does he usurp Tedesco at fullback ? No he'd play centre just as Mitchell is.

Regardless of personal opinion's DCE has come through at the same time as Thurston and Cronk, now Cleary.
Just like Ballin did with Cam Smith.

It's a long bow to say he's not in the top 17 of Australian players to discredit his playing ability or value.
Conversely we could say he's in the top 22 which even if we say half of the NRL aren't eligible to play for Australia still puts him in the top 10% of players that are.

Munster or Cleary get injured / suspended, guess who starts?

but I just can't fathom the sense in extending his tenue to 2024 and 2025.
Yep I'm sure they could have gone either way, but I can see the reasoning behind it. At least he doesn't have any existing injuries so if he does get hurt he can be medically retired without too much fuss. He did say at the time that he would keep playing only while he could contribute, if his form falls away or he loses motivation he can do a Josh Jackson.

With all due respect (cue: disrespectful comment…) you have been smoking DCE’s cigar on here forever. You have been comparatively quiet this past season (not surprised given DCE had a stinker). The guy is good, and occasionally has a blinder. Plenty of stinkers to go along as well. Can’t organise on a consistent basis to save his invested millions. Your argument boils down to DCE needing a star-studded line-up to look decent. That ain’t gone win anythin* at club level. Even in a Roosters sombrero bent cap he is not going to shine consistently. If he could play in rep teams perpetually he’d look amazing and worth his dollars.
Spot on champ

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8