[Resurrected] DCE is the worst halfback in the NRL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
I sense that NDF is not the type of individual that would take a pay cut for the benefit of the team. Just ask Anthony Watmough.

I’m sure the club understands that and are planning accordingly. I think too that Hasler is on the right path in wanting to become the coaching director (or whatever moniker they give him).

He understands that the organisation is still on shaky ground, thanks to both external and internal distractions, and needs off-field continuity for several years to come.

After all, based on the last 15 years, who knows how long Stephen Humphreys might last?

Last edited:
IF we are going to make the finals our team realistically has to have Turbo, DCE, Foran, Jake, Walker and Suli in the starting lineup. If we are going to push any of the teams in the finals we probably need the above to be in good form AND for Paseka, GoJetski or Gauc to emerge as consistently top players in their position.

We have a lot of talent elsewhere in the squad but it lacks experience and in many cases the physical development that age brings.

Jeeze you guys turn on our players quickly.

2 Rounds, against the two top teams with 5+ players out and a horrible injury toll, with our best player out, and now we have 'the worst half in the comp'

Grow up and back the team.

Yeah he was average but he tried his heart out and we know how quality he can be. Once the team gets used to playing with each other again and the quick pace of the game we'll be gelling and get a couple wins back, with Tommy coming in around round 6 or 7 probably.

You've lost the plot if you really think he was the reason for our loss and expected a win against what is probably one of the only teams to challenge Melbourne/Roosters for the title this year.

Des clearly has some good strategy in place, not rushing tommy back and giving schuster a gernsey. He mentioned olaka'atu so was clearly on the radar and was upset by cust out. He'll pick the right team soon with players coming back and we'll get a few wins together.

Such doomsdayers on here. Grow up and back our captain & halfback, boy he's better than a lot of other halves in the comp. God forbid if we signed someone like Corey norman he'd probabyl be in a mental joint with all the hate our fan base gives to under performing players

IF we are going to make the finals our team realistically has to have Turbo, DCE, Foran, Jake, Walker and Suli in the starting lineup. If we are going to push any of the teams in the finals we probably need the above to be in good form AND for Paseka, GoJetski or Gauc to emerge as consistently top players in their position.

We have a lot of talent elsewhere in the squad but it lacks experience and in many cases the physical development that age brings.
We'll be lucky to move off from where we are at the moment! Big names not performing and so many players out of position due to injuries and stupid decisions from senior management. I hope we can turn things around but its going to be a hard slog. Yesterday's effort was better than first week but still we don't look capable of beating many teams at the moment. Let's stick together feathered friends and keep supporting our team but I fear this is going to be a tough season.

I dont think there's any question over DCE's work ethic or integrity, in fact I think the problem is he puts too much pressure on himself & tries to do everything every time he has the ball.

Someone mentioned in the game day thread that he could do with some mental help - I agree!

I think he needs a rest for a couple of weeks & some sessions with a sports psychologist to work out what's going on & to address whatever it is that's causing the obvious stress/panic/anxiety clouding his mind onfield.

Yes, I know expectations of a professional sportsman as highly paid as he is are that he should have that side of things under control, but at this point there's no point bemoaning the fact he's on such a high salary & instead look to doing whatever it takes to rectify his issues.

Jeeze you guys turn on our players quickly.

2 Rounds, against the two top teams with 5+ players out and a horrible injury toll, with our best player out, and now we have 'the worst half in the comp'

Grow up and back the team.

Yeah he was average but he tried his heart out and we know how quality he can be. Once the team gets used to playing with each other again and the quick pace of the game we'll be gelling and get a couple wins back, with Tommy coming in around round 6 or 7 probably.

You've lost the plot if you really think he was the reason for our loss and expected a win against what is probably one of the only teams to challenge Melbourne/Roosters for the title this year.

Des clearly has some good strategy in place, not rushing tommy back and giving schuster a gernsey. He mentioned olaka'atu so was clearly on the radar and was upset by cust out. He'll pick the right team soon with players coming back and we'll get a few wins together.

Such doomsdayers on here. Grow up and back our captain & halfback, boy he's better than a lot of other halves in the comp. God forbid if we signed someone like Corey norman he'd probabyl be in a mental joint with all the hate our fan base gives to under performing players
As I said before this thread was started 3 years ago and it's not as if I going on 2 games, this has been happening for years. You'd think by this time he'd be a great halfback, yet have a look at his first half a dozen touches yesterday, he was running around like a chook with it's head cut off. He should be a calming influence on the team, but as captain he looked panicked and the team looked disjointed and clueless with no game plan.

As I said before this thread was started 3 years ago and it's not as if I going on 2 games, this has been happening for years. You'd think by this time he'd be a great halfback, yet have a look at his first half a dozen touches yesterday, he was running around like a chook with it's head cut off. He should be a calming influence on the team, but as captain he looked panicked and the team looked disjointed and clueless with no game plan.
worst halfback in the nrl is massive

theres some garbage out there. Hunt, Brooks etc....

Played some seriously good matches last year despite our losses I think a lot of people forget

I sense that NDF is not the type of individual that would take a pay cut for the benefit of the team. Just ask Anthony Watmough.

I’m sure the club understands that and are planning accordingly. I think too that Hasler is on the right path in wanting to become the coaching director (or whatever moniker they give him).

He understands that the organisation is still on shaky ground, thanks to both external and international distractions, and needs off-field continuity for several years to come.

After all, based on the last 15 years, who knows how long Stephen Humphreys might last?
My issue is that DCE is 32 now, and will be 34 when his current $1.3 Mn per annum contract finishes. That's at least $900K over three years that is not well spent. We're the Sea Eagles, but with our own salary cap Albatross.

I'm not saying DCE is not a very good player, but he's not worth $1.3 Mn pa in the current climate - no-one is. Having $1.3 Mn wrapped up in one player is a liability, not an asset. We have to expect injuries with everyone these days; if your $1.3 Mn player goes down, you're probably stuffed.

Our lack of balance in our salary cap costs us across the park. We will continue to see it till we get it right. If Humphreys and co can't convince DCE to take sub 1 million in 2022 and 2023, we won't be contending for top 4 IMHO. And if we're not top 4 contenders, we're frankly 'not Manly'. Artho must shake his head every day.

worst halfback in the nrl is massive

theres some garbage out there. Hunt, Brooks etc....

Played some seriously good matches last year despite our losses I think a lot of people forget
DCE is being paid over a 1mil a season and value for money he is the worst half in the NRL. Usually plays well around origin time then kills it as the QLD half.

As @Ryan mentioned in another thread, shop him to the Broncos and pay some of the freight. Pay 200k of his salary.

Leaves us with 1.1mil to go shopping with. I’d throw 700k to 800k at Reynolds from Souths - 2 yr deal with a option of another year in favour of the club. He’s looking for a longer deal, and he destroyed us yesterday.

Leaves a spare 200 to 300k to put towards strengthening another position.
With Foran, Siro, walker, Parker, Croker ect all off contract we’d have a nice little war chest to go on a raid with..

I dont think there's any question over DCE's work ethic or integrity, in fact I think the problem is he puts too much pressure on himself & tries to do everything every time he has the ball.
Up till very recently I thought the same, that he tries to hard, didn't have the quality around him but I am starting to think it isn't that he tries too hard, but that he is trying to do everything because of selfishness and ego.
He is nowhere near the worst half, but he is nowhere near where he should be.

Up till very recently I thought the same, that he tries to hard, didn't have the quality around him but I am starting to think it isn't that he tries too hard, but that he is trying to do everything because of selfishness and ego.
He is nowhere near the worst half, but he is nowhere near where he should be.
He is definitely not an egomaniac. If you knew him, he is a really decent person and cares a great deal about the result each week. The polished nice guy that gets interviewed is exactly what he is like off the field...no acting.

He is definitely not an egomaniac. If you knew him, he is a really decent person and cares a great deal about the result each week. The polished nice guy that gets interviewed is exactly what he is like off the field...no acting.
I have no doubt he is a nice guy and articulate, I am not bagging the guy at all, but atm his play on field looks selfish and individualistic, whether that is born from no confidence in his team mates and feeling he has to do so on his own or otherwise, it is just the way it looks.
We need him to find some composure and form sooner than later.

As @Ryan mentioned in another thread, shop him to the Broncos and pay some of the freight. Pay 200k of his salary.

Leaves us with 1.1mil to go shopping with. I’d throw 700k to 800k at Reynolds from Souths - 2 yr deal with a option of another year in favour of the club. He’s looking for a longer deal, and he destroyed us yesterday.

Leaves a spare 200 to 300k to put towards strengthening another position.
With Foran, Siro, walker, Parker, Croker ect all off contract we’d have a nice little war chest to go on a raid with..
benji was better than reynolds
My issue is that DCE is 32 now, and will be 34 when his current $1.3 Mn per annum contract finishes. That's at least $900K over three years that is not well spent. We're the Sea Eagles, but with our own salary cap Albatross.

I'm not saying DCE is not a very good player, but he's not worth $1.3 Mn pa in the current climate - no-one is. Having $1.3 Mn wrapped up in one player is a liability, not an asset. We have to expect injuries with everyone these days; if your $1.3 Mn player goes down, you're probably stuffed.

Our lack of balance in our salary cap costs us across the park. We will continue to see it till we get it right. If Humphreys and co can't convince DCE to take sub 1 million in 2022 and 2023, we won't be contending for top 4 IMHO. And if we're not top 4 contenders, we're frankly 'not Manly'. Artho must shake his head every day.
i agree he's overpaid but i'd still put him in the 900k bracket. maybe 1mn. Minimum 800k.

i think everyone forgets the fat wages across the park...
Suli is on 550K - Joke
Taupau is reportedly on 750k - again joke
Jake - 950k... yes for the t brothers but his brother tom is still on a fat 1.1mn wage... probably his value assuming he plays a FULL SEASON

Isn't siro on 450k or something?
Josh Aloiai, although I like him, has rumoured to be on 600k - obscene money for a prop who isn't at the top of the list across the comp

Yes DCE is overpaid... 1.25mn.. agree... but so are many other eagles.

DCE is being paid over a 1mil a season and value for money he is the worst half in the NRL. Usually plays well around origin time then kills it as the QLD half.
mate ben hunt is on 1.2mn

what are you smoking - you seriously think DCE is worse than hunt? basically the same wage..

I probably should have reinforced that I don’t think he will be re-signed, because I doubt he will take a pay cut.
What I have read about his original 'life' contract, and it may not be correct, was that it was for 6 years with an option to extend 'in his favour'.

That sounds ominously like 1) any extension is unlikely to have a pay cut involved..... and 2) the extension is therefore almost a given.

before you heap on hunt, you should watch yesterday’s game, he out played our half, no comparison, be an interesting match up next week, we will see who is better value for money real soon.

I'm as harsh on DCE as anybody and it's not that I don't think he's trying. I'm sure he's trying as hard as ever. It's just that he's allowed the flaws in his game to fester over many years and it's now reached critical mass.

He needs to take the tackle himself when the play breaks down not sell the dump to the nearest teammate. His play wreaks of desperation and of gambling it all on big plays more than building any sort of pressure. Yesterday was crying out for him to kick to the corners, lead the chase and make it a physical contest. Souths seemed to turn up with a terrible attitude that said " we just have to turn up against these blokes " and they were right.

DCE's the most frustrating halfback cause he can do stuff most other half backs can't so we can all see the brilliance from time to time..... but his game management and feel for the game and his will to just compete on every play is nowhere near the mark for a top halfback.

His confidence is shot and I'm sure he'll bounce back and have the odd brilliant game at some point this season and but we really need the basics from him first.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12