Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Cust vs Croker at 9

Reaction score
What happens when Lawton is fit? Obviously he will have a few games at Blacktown but if he impresses, what does Des do? Start Lawton and keep Cust on bench or is Cust the unlucky one? Des seems keen on Croker starting so maybe Lawton and Cust to fight out bench spot. Croker is definitely improving but he still lacks the zip that we would benefit from massively. I must admit he is awesome in defence!

Waz13

Bencher
Reaction score
What happens when Lawton is fit? Obviously he will have a few games at Blacktown but if he impresses, what does Des do? Start Lawton and keep Cust on bench or is Cust the unlucky one? Des seems keen on Croker starting so maybe Lawton and Cust to fight out bench spot. Croker is definitely improving but he still lacks the zip that we would benefit from massively. I must admit he is awesome in defence!
The way it’s looking Cust might be the one to go I reckon. Croker is Des favourite. Didn’t start well but gee he does a lot in defence. Can’t fault him there.

Fibro Eagle

Bencher
Tipping Comp 2021
Reaction score
Cust is signed for a couple of years , So is Lawton , Croker unsigned for next year , Croker most likely not get renewed but will get the spot in the squad this year , interesting scenario would think the players signed would be in front of Croker , It might all depend on Fainu outcome I’d imagine

manlyfan76

Touch football but with more injuries
Premium Member
Reaction score
While croaker has played better recently I'm not writing Cust off yet. He has been good in his very limited time this year and his defence has been top shelf HE HAS ONLY MISSED ONE TACKLE

Last edited:

Rafferty

Reserve Grader
Reaction score
I don’t want to bag Croker, I’ve said it before he tries his best, but we need more from our dummy half than just good defence, I wouldn’t say anyone is more important than our 1 but the current day 9 is massive, we need our game to go forward and unfortunately I can’t see Croker giving us the ability to achieve that, if he is likely to not to be resigned next year, then surely it doesn’t seem right to build our game with him as our primary 9, if Des thinks he should start due to the defensive difference then so be it, but surely cust brings more value to our attack, our go forward, his service with the ball and his instinctive natural play. Why isn’t Des giving cust bigger minutes especially during the last 2 weeks when we were dominating the game and were not defensively under much pressure, nothing gained by not giving cust extra minutes, game time and experience that could be vital later in the year, I would like to see Cust get more game time so we can get a better idea of who can do a better job, if cust was playing the minutes Croker has how much would his game and in turn our game improve? we must be looking for every inch of improvement we can and 9 is an area of our game that can and must improve, i can‘t see any upside in Croker‘s game but believe there’s quite a bit in cust’s.

rmd

Reserve Grader
Premium Member
Reaction score
Croker’s defence has been excellent the last three weeks and he really tightens up the middle and has made some desperate saves which have stopped opposition tries.

I’m not convinced about his service however, he has been sneaking more metres out of dummy half. Cust is far more dangerous out of dummy half however his defence is not at Croker’s standard. It’s not bad but just not as strong.

manlyfan76

Touch football but with more injuries
Premium Member
Reaction score
Croker’s defence has been excellent the last three weeks and he really tightens up the middle and has made some desperate saves which have stopped opposition tries.

I’m not convinced about his service however, he has been sneaking more metres out of dummy half. Cust is far more dangerous out of dummy half however his defence is not at Croker’s standard. It’s not bad but just not as strong.
Cust has missed one tackle all year. Saved a try on Sunday too.

CRPSI eagle

Reaction score
All we can hope for is GOD to make one more change to the side and have Cust starting.
This would give us so much more in attack.
Not wishing anyone any miss fortune.

Pete W

Reaction score
Cust is signed for a couple of years , So is Lawton , Croker unsigned for next year , Croker most likely not get renewed but will get the spot in the squad this year , interesting scenario would think the players signed would be in front of Croker , It might all depend on Fainu outcome I’d imagine
Lawton and Cust are obviously part of Des' plans moving forward. 2021 is Croker's chance to prove his worth. Obviously Des is giving him every opportunity, and I guess a contract at the end of the year will depend on continual improvement at 9. Having said that, if Fainu is cleared, then most likely he will not be re-signed

Mataiforerver

Bencher
Reaction score
des is still being an idiot giving croker 65 mins

i can understand leaving out cust for the starting half of each half. but at least give cust minutes 20-40 and 60-80 to carve up some tired defence

just hoping this is one of those 'weird des plans' (the ones that make you believe he is on the spectrum) where he isn't giving cust too much game time when it won't matter (i.e. 40 points behind or ahead as this year has seen) so that opposition can't study the tape, and then unleashes him in tighter games.

pjayz

H2O Technician
Premium Member
Tipping Comp 2021
Reaction score
I think he will wait until either injury strikes or losses come. He doesn't seem that loyal to Cust, so if losses come, he will more than likely drop out.

Sheikheagle

Bencher
Reaction score
des is still being an idiot giving croker 65 mins

i can understand leaving out cust for the starting half of each half. but at least give cust minutes 20-40 and 60-80 to carve up some tired defence

just hoping this is one of those 'weird des plans' (the ones that make you believe he is on the spectrum) where he isn't giving cust too much game time when it won't matter (i.e. 40 points behind or ahead as this year has seen) so that opposition can't study the tape, and then unleashes him in tighter games.

Don’t forget we have been using an interchange with Tom which could be the reason Des is holding Cust back longer than normal. He also rested Jake last week.

Mataiforerver

Bencher
Reaction score
Don’t forget we have been using an interchange with Tom which could be the reason Des is holding Cust back longer than normal. He also rested Jake last week.
good point

still, i'd have cust start over croker... but at least have cust for the back 30 of the game if only 1 interchange

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Reaction score
Our Power go forward has helped Croker immensely....
His passing game is still mediocre at best, but pleased on the back of big runs has had a few scampers and not lost the ball.
Hid defence has been fairly solid for the most and I have no doubt this is why Des has him as first option atm....especially now there is more strike with Tom back and attack is firing, I feel Cust after 25-30 mins each half would add strike and in a tight game, Des may well pull the trigger....I hope.

Staff online

Latest posts

2021 Ladder

Team P W D L PD Pts
1 Panthers 9 9 0 0 200 18
2 Eels 9 8 0 1 136 16
3 Storm 9 7 0 2 184 14
4 Rabbitohs 9 7 0 2 61 14
5 Roosters 9 6 0 3 123 12
6 Dragons 9 5 0 4 24 10
7 Titans 9 4 0 5 -1 8
8 Warriors 9 4 0 5 -27 8