Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Cust vs Croker at 9

Simmo66

Reserve Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Comp 2021
Reaction score
I don’t mind Croker starting if he only plays 20 mins and then Cust plays the rest... then Cust and Lawton can share minutes when he’s fit
I actually see Lawton as our starting nine (when fit), and Cust coming on the bench to provide impact for 30-40 minutes, every game. I see no reason for Croker to play anything more then a backup role for injuries to Lawton/Cust after Lawton gets a start with us.

eagleron

Bencher
Reaction score
I don’t mind Croker starting if he only plays 20 mins and then Cust plays the rest... then Cust and Lawton can share minutes when he’s fit
Sorry but if Lawton becomes available he has to be number one nine, Croker is sh1t, Cust should be 14 once Lawton is available and Croker relevated to 2nds, the bloke is rubbish

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Comp 2021
Reaction score
It occurs to me Cust might be considered superior to Croker simply because he's had less time on the field in which to demonstrate his shortcomings!
Let's face it, as players each may have some redeeming quality or bit of potential or something, but as NRL dummy halves they are both rank novices and trying to learn on the job. They both have a fair way to go but Manly has no more time to spare!

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
Reaction score
No way Croker should be hooker. Very obvious the service is too predictable and inconsistent. Cust has some attacking flair, but I would have Foran sharing with Cust at hooker. Both clever players, who know how to give good service and opens the door for Schuster at 5/8. That combination looks to me far more stable and increases the attacking options.

jbb/james

Bencher
Reaction score
Croker has his limitations . I am being kind but i think des picks him due to defence. We concede 80 points a game. We havnt won since brandavino was sold by the case and as far as i see croker and jake pretty much do all the middle tackling. Its the biggest loss out of the api to the riff moment

We have a few lazy mothers and croker does stick his head in places others dont.

Not much of a dummy half though

Just as jakes game has suffered from being first receiver for another shirker, the frog is paying some price, not all , for some other shirkers

eagle66

Bencher
Reaction score
Croker has his limitations . I am being kind but i think des picks him due to defence. We concede 80 points a game. We havnt won since brandavino was sold by the case and as far as i see croker and jake pretty much do all the middle tackling. Its the biggest loss out of the api to the riff moment

We have a few lazy mothers and croker does stick his head in places others dont.

Just as jakes game has suffered from being first receiver for another shirker, the frog is paying some price, not all , for some other shirkers

Brandivino, right up there with Corio whiskey

eagle66

Bencher
Reaction score
The best I remember are the Old blokes drinking port wine & brandy. Fixed everything from a crook gut, gout and hangovers. For colds and flu, OP rum and milk.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think Cust is clearly a better footballer in general.
But EVERY key aspect of dummy half, is also better imo.....though I feel Croker was regarded at the club as a better defender, which gave him the nod.
As for distribution, running game and support play, Cust wins hands down....and in the modern game in which we are struggling for points, this seems pretty clearly important.

Ron E. Gibbs

Bencher
Reaction score
It occurs to me Cust might be considered superior to Croker simply because he's had less time on the field in which to demonstrate his shortcomings!
Let's face it, as players each may have some redeeming quality or bit of potential or something, but as NRL dummy halves they are both rank novices and trying to learn on the job. They both have a fair way to go but Manly has no more time to spare!
Yes, neither is an experienced hooker, but Cust at least has shown an ability to make an impact on a game. He's a footy player, with a real instinct for a try, and the confidence to back his ability. I'm not actually sure what Croker is, but at the moment he's a guy who shuffles in and out of dummy half, shovels ineffective passes to the forwards and playmakers and takes up a spot in the middle of the field in defence. He has "fill in" written all over him, but somehow Des sees him as an NRL-quality starting hooker.

Last edited:

Mark from Brisbane

“ Triggered Boomer”
Premium Member
Tipping Comp 2021
Reaction score
I actually see Lawton as our starting nine (when fit), and Cust coming on the bench to provide impact for 30-40 minutes, every game. I see no reason for Croker to play anything more then a backup role for injuries to Lawton/Cust after Lawton gets a start with us.
Agree BUT this is Des Hasler you are talking about !!!

Uk eagle

Reserve Grader
Reaction score
Just seen about the swap deal between the panthers and dragons and it got me thinking....are we still short of garden chairs? Maybe we could swap Croker for a dozen but I'm not sure where we would get any interest from

Shane4500

Reserve Grader
Reaction score
My side

1. Harper / Turbo
2. Saab
3. Suli
4. Walker
5. Funa
6. Schuster
7. DCE
8. Taupau
9. Cust / Rotation with Foran (14)
10. Aloaia
11. Jake
12. Davey
13. Saddler

14. Foran
15. Paseka
16. Haumole
17. Sipley (deserves it after Sunday)

Understand Dessie's faith but enough is enough. This team has go forward, better speed. Hopefully more heart. Saddler needs an opportunity, Jake needs to play a different role, everyone's got his number now.

I'd rather loose by 20 with this team than what we currently have.
Agreed but I read that Saddler wont be available until June because he is a Development player? Not sure about the truth on this. Davey is out till next year

Supreme Leader

Bencher
Reaction score
Agreed but I read that Saddler wont be available until June because he is a Development player? Not sure about the truth on this. Davey is out till next year
Saddler was named in 21 this week, we must have been given an exemption

The Manly Tragic

Tragic
Tipping Comp 2021
Reaction score
The crazy thing is that neither Cust or Croker are hookers they are halves. Let’s make up for poor recruitment with picking players out of position. The outcome is identified clearly by our standing on the table and winning one game from 14.

Latest posts

2021 Ladder

Team P W D L PD Pts
1 Panthers 6 6 0 0 122 12
2 Rabbitohs 6 5 0 1 87 10
3 Eels 6 5 0 1 61 10
4 Storm 6 4 0 2 86 8
5 Roosters 6 4 0 2 78 8
6 Dragons 6 4 0 2 36 8
7 Titans 6 3 0 3 9 6
8 Warriors 6 3 0 3 -3 6
9 Raiders 6 3 0 3 -12 6