Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Cust vs Croker at 9

Batty

Bencher
Reaction score
Schuster is heavily in our plans for 2021, zero doubt about that. However I still think it's more likely he'll be eased in via some cameo's from the bench. He may not even be in our 17 for round 1, but I'm sure if fit he'll be there for the back end of the season.
As for not being up to the defensive workload - he will be very similar in age to Cam Murray and Victor Radley when they first established themselves in NRL. They weren't found wanting, nor will Josh.
I wouldn’t compare a playmaker with the skills of Cliffy Lyons to the workhorse backrow types of Cam Murray and/or VR.

Very different players.

From what I’ve seen Schu he is a dynamic ball player with vision to cause dangerous attacking raids down each side of the field. I haven’t heard anything about him being an endurance type defensive workhorse.

Anyway, great problems to have - fitting in all the skills

manlyfan76

Touch football but with more injuries
Premium Member
Reaction score
Look the way we get injuries in our backline whomever is in the backline will get plenty of Gametime.
Unfortunately we don't have a player who plays back five AND hooker or backrow and hooker, we only have halves to play hooker so bench versatility suffers.

Simmo66

Reserve Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Comp 2021
Reaction score
Look the way we get injuries in our backline whomever is in the backline will get plenty of Gametime.
Unfortunately we don't have a player who plays back five AND hooker or backrow and hooker, we only have halves to play hooker so bench versatility suffers.
1. Tom Trbojevic

2. Jason Saab

3. Dylan Walker/Brad Parker

4. Moses Suli

5. Reuben Garrick

6. Kieran Foran

7. Daly Cherry-Evans

8. Marty Taupau

9. Jake Trbojevic

10. Josh Aloiai

11. Curtis Sironen

12. Haumole Olakau’atu/Andrew Davey

13. Josh Schuster

14. Cade Cust

15. Taniela Paseka

16. Jack Gosiewski

17. Sean Keppie

This team CLEARLY wont happen but it would very interesting to see if alternating dummy half across numbers 6,7,9 & 14, within the framework of the new rule changes, could result in both stiffening up the middle AND promoting more open play, on both sides of the field....

Highflier

Bencher
Reaction score
1. Tom Trbojevic

2. Jason Saab

3. Dylan Walker/Brad Parker

4. Moses Suli

5. Reuben Garrick

6. Kieran Foran

7. Daly Cherry-Evans

8. Marty Taupau

9. Jake Trbojevic

10. Josh Aloiai

11. Curtis Sironen

12. Haumole Olakau’atu/Andrew Davey

13. Josh Schuster

14. Cade Cust

15. Taniela Paseka

16. Jack Gosiewski

17. Sean Keppie

This team CLEARLY wont happen but it would very interesting to see if alternating dummy half across numbers 6,7,9 & 14, within the framework of the new rule changes, could result in both stiffening up the middle AND promoting more open play, on both sides of the field....
S66 you are probably correct it wont happen .
But I like it in that you have all our best players on the park at the same time ,and the bench looks good as well .Maybe Davey for Jack G ?
Interesting having Jake at 9 ( i know its been discussed before) middle defence would be 100% but what about his passing from the ruck and speed off the mark ? ,anyway with Foran , Schuster and DCE around that ruck maybe his speed of the mark wouldnt be an issue as you would think that lot would be able to pick apart an opposition defense ,with Cust to come on in the last 20 or so to attack tiring defences .

XV-1

Bencher
Reaction score
I almost feel sorry for Croker as I am sure Des told him to provide quick service out of dummy half.

I don't believe Des told him to have ZERO runs for ZERO metres. No wonder the men outside Croker were getting smashed left, right and centre. No one dummy half run all day. No kicks from dummy half .

A complete waste of a player playing #9.

Cust must come in for round 2.

Rafferty

Reserve Grader
Reaction score
It’s a no brainer, cust has to be given a go and why not move DCE into hooker for a game or 2 and play cust as our half, after all he is a half, and our half seems off his game, maybe it could prove positive in more than one way, maybe rejuvenate his enthusiasm, couldn’t hurt to try. DCE might think otherwise and what change getting Des onboard? Yep I know bugger all. I’m cringing at the thought of this weekend and South’s will be salivating.

Rocky

Reaction score
Ive been a Croker apologist for the last 2 years. Why? Well against Canberra in the early rounds of 2019 I thought he won us the game after DCE got injured and taken off. Does anyone remember his performance and that game?

And In my view there wasn't much between Froggy and Cust last year..i'm sure others on here disagree but that was how i saw it.

However Ive seen enough now and after watching Cust's aggression and passion yesterday at Blacktown I'm 100% behind Cust to be our 9 immediately.

jbb/james

Bencher
Reaction score
Just watching the end of the blacktown game . Cust went really well and offers a lot. Just a goer

Seems to have a better pass from hooker than croker for sure

Cioran

Bencher
Reaction score
It’s a no brainer, cust has to be given a go and why not move DCE into hooker for a game or 2 and play cust as our half, after all he is a half, and our half seems off his game, maybe it could prove positive in more than one way, maybe rejuvenate his enthusiasm, couldn’t hurt to try. DCE might think otherwise and what change getting Des onboard? Yep I know bugger all. I’m cringing at the thought of this weekend and South’s will be salivating.
If there IS ill feeling in the team about DCE being paid a cart load of cash and contributing s**t all than it might help team morale to see him tacking his ass of in the middle of the field. It might even help DCE's game putting him under more pressure. He may not f**k up as often if he has less time to worry. He's an instinct player rather than a thinker and plotter. Cust at half has to be an improvement on what we've seen from Cherry over the past couple of years.

The Who

First Grader
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ive been a Croker apologist for the last 2 years. Why? Well against Canberra in the early rounds of 2019 I thought he won us the game after DCE got injured and taken off. Does anyone remember his performance and that game?

And In my view there wasn't much between Froggy and Cust last year..i'm sure others on here disagree but that was how i saw it.

However Ive seen enough now and after watching Cust's aggression and passion yesterday at Blacktown I'm 100% behind Cust to be our 9 immediately.
Yep. I remember that game fondly. The Frog was playing 5/8 where he is suited.
It's my understanding that he'd never played hooker before, certainly not for an entire 80 minutes. I'm sure everyone would struggle in an unfamiliar position playing against Easts.
Yep. I also think Con needs to be brought in at hooker, but he too will struggle if he's expected to play the full 80 minutes. The option is to put Frog on the interchange bench, or use Foran or Jake as hooker at times to give Con a break. That could get Confusing (no pun intended) but the dual-hooker option did work for us when The Blade Runner and Api were in the 17.

Waz13

Bencher
Reaction score
Yep. I remember that game fondly. The Frog was playing 5/8 where he is suited.
It's my understanding that he'd never played hooker before, certainly not for an entire 80 minutes. I'm sure everyone would struggle in an unfamiliar position playing against Easts.
Yep. I also think Con needs to be brought in at hooker, but he too will struggle if he's expected to play the full 80 minutes. The option is to put Frog on the interchange bench, or use Foran or Jake as hooker at times to give Con a break. That could get Confusing (no pun intended) but the dual-hooker option did work for us when The Blade Runner and Api were in the 17.
Having both in the 17 means no Schu. Which I think is a very real possibility for this weeks side.

double hoops

First Grader
Tipping Comp 2021
Reaction score
Croker looked the least of our problems. In saying that I did turn the tv off at half time so who knows what I missed.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Triggered Boomer”
Premium Member
Tipping Comp 2021
Reaction score
Neither are real hookers.

Our hooker can’t play and hasn’t played for what will be two years.

And we’ve bought a broken down hooker who can’t play until next year.

Oh , and we had a hooker ( who was **** ) but let him go.

And now we have a half , who should be playing for the Wee Waa Panthers playing hooker and another half , who can’t get a start but we reckon who should be playing hooker !!

Anyone else think this is a **** up of monumental proportions?????

Lyonstomenzies

Bencher
Premium Member
Reaction score
Neither are real hookers.

Our hooker can’t play and hasn’t played for what will be two years.

And we’ve bought a broken down hooker who can’t play until next year.

Oh , and we had a hooker ( who was **** ) but let him go.

And now we have a half , who should be playing for the Wee Waa Panthers playing hooker and another half , who can’t get a start but we reckon who should be playing hooker !!

Anyone else think this is a **** up of monumental proportions?????
Hooker is not as important as you may think @Mark from Brisbane , they rarely have to touch the ball or tackle.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

2021 Ladder

Team P W D L PD Pts
1 Panthers 6 6 0 0 122 12
2 Rabbitohs 6 5 0 1 87 10
3 Eels 6 5 0 1 61 10
4 Storm 6 4 0 2 86 8
5 Roosters 6 4 0 2 78 8
6 Dragons 6 4 0 2 36 8