Cody Walker has refused to sing the Australian anthem

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Adam Hills did a rendition to Barnsey's Working Class Man, same words as the anthem but way better. The boys would sing then.
Google it

It’s reverse racism
@joeboy get stuffed. (There’s something to rate ironstine you racist)

So the likes of Anthony Mundane and this poor man’s cliff Lyons Cody Walker say the anthem
Doesn’t represent them. Let’s look at anthem.

Australians all let us rejoice
For we are young and free
We've golden soil and wealth for toil
Our home is girt by sea
Our land abounds in nature's gifts
Of beauty rich and rare
In history's page, let every stage
Advance Australia Fair
In joyful strains then let us sing
Advance Australia Fair

I’m just wondering where I missed the memo that the line Australians All doesn’t mean Australians excluding the indigenous.

These divisive acts **** me to tears. We are one country and even though I’m an Australian of European background I’m ****en proud of some the things our indigenous brothers and sisters have achieved just as I am of Australians of
Chinese and Vietnamese backgrounds to name a couple of us. Off the top of my head when I think of the likes
Cathy freeman
Arthur beatson
Lionel rose
Neville Bonner
Warren Mundine
Cliffy
Mal Meninga
I’m incredibly proud that they are all indigenous Australians who have achieved amazing things in the sporting and political world.

We are a country of such diverse back grounds
The words Australians all let us rejoice to me
Makes that song inclusive.

I think it is tome to change the anthem.

Lots of it grate on quite a few Australians.

Especially “young and free”, which was aspirational propaganda at the time it was written.

This is an ancient culture, and many indigenous people don’t feel free.

And many white ancestors came here in chains.
Why aren't they free? How dont they feel free? Your post is bizarre to say the least. White ancestors that came in chains.... hmmm... i wonder what Australia would be like if they didn't.. probably be like papa new guinea.

Why aren't they free? How dont they feel free? Your post is bizarre to say the least. White ancestors that came in chains.... hmmm... i wonder what Australia would be like if they didn't.. probably be like papa new guinea.
Our country is relatively young and free.

It’s not like we live in an communist country or under sharia law.

We live in a great free country

Adam Hills did a rendition to Barnsey's Working Class Man, same words as the anthem but way better. The boys would sing then.
Google it

You can sing it to the tune of Gilligan’s Island too.
Try it, it’ll be stuck in your head all day!

I don’t buy a ticket to watch footballers sing. Time spent on songs, welcome to country, smoking ceremonies or other flummery is time wasted.

I do wonder how a lot of Africans feel about claims that Australian Aborigines are the oldest human anything. Maybe the Africans are too busy getting on with life to care.

Actually, I do kind of like the welcome to country bit.

Probably because of my sense of humour .... or just the fact I like **** stirring ..... Before I die I would love to see the first player to refuse to stand for the traditional owners welcome ceremony ......

I wonder what sort of response he would get ......

National Anthem = political nonesense.Conform or be cast out. Look at me sing, i’m A good boy aren’t I. If they sang eagle rock then I would happily air drum to the last lyric.

I wish we had God Save the Queen as an anthem.
... but not the one about crushing rebellious Scots (@Woodsie)

Old Lizzie out lived those rebellious twats ....... if you really want to see sedition and rebellion .. scenes of Princes Anne singing Flower of Scotland at Murrayfield in 1990 are classic ... mum would have sent a please explain ...

My favourite redition is young Amy Macdonald .... even the ball boys and girls sing along ... what an amazing experience to be part of ...

Old Lizzie out lived those rebellious twats ....... if you really want to see sedition and rebellion .. scenes of Princes Anne singing Flower of Scotland at Murrayfield in 1990 are classic ... mum would have sent a please explain ...

My favourite redition is young Amy Macdonald .... even the ball boys and girls sing along ... what an amazing experience to be part of ...

Went to see a certain Scottish band on the weekend - along with several thousand Scots. After announcing Theresa May's resignation they went on to sing Cap in Hand.
It's an amazing feeling to be in truly united crowed singing passionately about something.
I doubt anyone is singing like that for Advance Australia Fair though. In many ways it is a shame that the only thing that truly unites people seems to be a common enemy.

@joeboy get stuffed. (There’s something to rate ironstine you racist)

So the likes of Anthony Mundane and this poor man’s cliff Lyons Cody Walker say the anthem
Doesn’t represent them. Let’s look at anthem.

Australians all let us rejoice
For we are young and free
We've golden soil and wealth for toil
Our home is girt by sea
Our land abounds in nature's gifts
Of beauty rich and rare
In history's page, let every stage
Advance Australia Fair
In joyful strains then let us sing
Advance Australia Fair

I’m just wondering where I missed the memo that the line Australians All doesn’t mean Australians excluding the indigenous.

These divisive acts **** me to tears. We are one country and even though I’m an Australian of European background I’m ****en proud of some the things our indigenous brothers and sisters have achieved just as I am of Australians of
Chinese and Vietnamese backgrounds to name a couple of us. Off the top of my head when I think of the likes
Cathy freeman
Arthur beatson
Lionel rose
Neville Bonner
Warren Mundine
Cliffy
Mal Meninga
I’m incredibly proud that they are all indigenous Australians who have achieved amazing things in the sporting and political world.

We are a country of such diverse back grounds
The words Australians all let us rejoice to me
Makes that song inclusive.

I don’t have a problem with this post particularly, as it is at least reasoned unlike your “wanker” and “reverse racism” posts.

Just because the anthem may feel patriotic to you doesn’t mean those words evoke the same sentiment in others. Australia means many different things to many people in many different ways and I don’t find Cody to be a wanker for saying it doesn’t speak to his experience.

Anyways I’m not going to argue with someone who is demonstrably lacking in the art

• 👍
Reactions: lsz
Don't agree with it personally, but also respect people having their own way and not being sheep.
Obviously to him it's a big deal, so wearing his heart on his sleeve and has made the mistake of going public with his virtues, which opens debate both ways.
More interested in enjoying the game and the Manly players doing well and coming away injury free.

Just to reiterate, as I think a few have missed or are imagining the reason this argument has come back into the spotlight.
Cody didn't make this public to push an agenda he was asked the question in a standard pre origin press conference. To which he responded:
"I'm not pushing my views on anyone, it's just how me and my family have grown up and how I feel. I've already voiced my opinion, and I want to reiterate it's just my opinion.''
Now, did the press ask this question of everyone or did they simply ask the question to an indigenous player with the knowledge that it would spark controversy (and create click bait)?

I think it is tome to change the anthem.

Lots of it grate on quite a few Australians.

Especially “young and free”, which was aspirational propaganda at the time it was written.

This is an ancient culture, and many indigenous people don’t feel free.

And many white ancestors came here in chains.

Shoe1 I understand your problems with the anthem. I'm not all that enamoured by it myself. But lets get it in context. Though an original version was written way back in 1878, it was the amended version that was used in the inauguration of Australia as a nation state January 1 1901. Therefore the words are meant to relate to Australia as a nation state from 1901, which it wasn't before that either for Europeans or Indigenous Australians. Before 1901 the Australian continent was initially a large collection of Indigenous societies linked only by trade and passing on of information and then when Europeans arrived it was a number of separate colonies under British authority.

Therefore discussing our convict past in relation to the Independent state of Australia is like calling the separate states on the Italian peninsula, Italy before 1861, or calling the Germanic states, Germany before 1871. Sure our heritage relates to pre 1901, but Australia as a nation did now exist before 1901 and the words relate to that nation that was formed at that time. This is why I think our national day should be January 1, relating to Federation, not the arrival of a ragtag bunch of ships carrying convicts. Convict transportation ended in 1868 and most were free by the 1870s. The last transported convict died in 1938, a free man

So land that is 'young and free' relates to post 1901, not 1788. Mind you with the White Australia Policy immediately being instituted some were freer than others and as you well know the Indigenous population were not recognised until 1967 (a quite shameful situation but consistent with the attitudes of the time)

Probably because of my sense of humour .... or just the fact I like **** stirring ..... Before I die I would love to see the first player to refuse to stand for the traditional owners welcome ceremony ......

I wonder what sort of response he would get ......

It would at least get that professional hypocrite and outrage merchant Peter FitzSimons write a bone headed column on how offended he is. While praising Cody Walker.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8