Cody Walker has refused to sing the Australian anthem

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Best rendition I ever heard of the anthem was my kids primary school many many years ago. They had a background tape of a didgeridoo and the whole thing was sung up tempo with solo sections of the didgi, kookaburras singing .

It was spine tingling stuff, if that is not inclusiveness I don't now what is, indigenous instruments with white wording in harmony together...

Personally, as a major sporting event, our Anthem should be played before the game, whether he chooses to sing it or not is his choice, but none of this kneeling cr@p during it.

Personally I could care less if a player doesn't sing the national anthem. Why? Because its not compulsory to do so. The players are there to play football, not audition for The Voice. So long as they line up like everyone else and don't make a spectacle of things, who gives a toss if they do or don't sing?

The media as usual making a mountain out of a molehill.

No outrage from Cody. He simply stated that he didn't want to sing the anthem when asked.
Given that no one is required to sing the anthem I find it hard see why anyone is outraged.
Ironic that those who continue to bring up political correctness and the culture of outrage are the ones who are the first to be offended and outraged when someone does something differently to what would.
I think the real issue here is the media producing obvious click-bait and then fueling this so called outrage when it really shouldn't matter.
Haha... hardly outraged, I am just of the opinion that ya mate cody is a rebel without a cause...

The irony is that the words “for we are young and free” are the words some indigenous folks take umbrage at.

I’m with you, I don’t have a problem with cody’s position. He actually wants something that unites, not divides, and I think that is a good motivation.

I also don’t personally have a problem with the national anthem (other than the fact I don’t find it particularly inspiring) and don’t quite understand the brouhaha around it. But then again, I am not indigenous so I can only listen to their perspective and take that on board.
If we changed the words to -
'Australians all let us rejoice
for ko-alas in gum trees!'
Maybe everyone could be happy.
Who doesn't love a koala?
Peace out all you loveable Silvertails.:D

I have a massive issue with the National anthem. I have been diligently searching for Girt-By-Sea for some time now, to make it MY home. It sounds lovely, but can I find it on a map ?!?!

Who cares, what a media beat up/OFF
I COULD CARE LESS IF HE DOES OR DOESN'T SING IT
I just saw on St that he had allegedly had DV issues in 2014, just play football tosser and win, no one cares if u have a consciencous objection, this is rugby league, it's not the 5th amendment and you are not on the stand
Go Manly

There is a fair difference between Falou and this - apart from some moral outrage I am not sure who Walker is impacting with his view

I wonder if the same could be said about Falou and young gay people

Pretty long bow IMO

Walker is simply not singing, a quiet respectful protest.

Folau is openly attacking members of the community (for the second occasion after being warned)...........a more apt comparison would be Khawaja refusing to wear alcohol advertising due to his beliefs.

For Folau and Walker to compare...........you could have Folau opting to respectfully opt not to dance in mardi gras or not to enter pubs..........or on the flipside Walker to actively sing a indigenous song during the anthem thus disrupting it etc.

Haha, clear as mud. Or maybe it has just been a loooong day?!

The saying don’t judge a man until you walk in his shoes is a valid point but is this the same Cody walker who was stood down for domestic violence against a woman in late 2014 ?
I wonder if he protests against that

These types of people are revered in the NRL!!

These types of people are revered in the NRL!!

Does he join in to glory glory to south Sydney song in the sheds

The fathers of our Rabbitohs laid down our history.
Their fight, their skill, their courage led to make them legendary.

We faced our greatest enemies and brought them to their knee.
Glory glory to south Sydney

Respectfully disagree.

The main point I was raising is the double standards of the media and the sporting bodies in relation to these two examples especially as the NRL has
said Izzy and his divisiveness is not welcome but another player can make a divisive comment but nothing to see here.

Some might not see either as divisive comments either but some have been brought up that they are.

As far as I know Folau's posts on social media are quoting the Bible and he's spreading the word in his opinion - the fact that he has hundreds of thousands followers on insta and twitter is more an indictment on society rather than him - most of us would never have seen, known or cared if it wasn't brought to our attention by the media.
He's been excluded and condemned but that's the way he was brought up and they are his beliefs.

Obviously someone has interviewed Walker and raised the issue with him again.
If he doesn't want to sing our National Anthem that is his decision but a "quiet respectful protest" should be just that.
Once he raised the issue publicly ( ie in an interview in the build up to SOO1 ) it ceased being a quiet protest, it became a very public protest whether he likes it or not.
But that's okay because it's the way he was brought up and they are his beliefs.

Don't sing it, that's fine, I don't sing hymns on the rare occasion I step foot in a church ( funerals etc ) either but I don't walk in and say I'm not singing hymns today because
I don't believe in God and it's the way I was brought up.
I know I'll piss people off and upset them, so why do that?
I think I get your point but I didn’t read it all. There are always double standards and unfortunately we have to constantly placate the PC brigade and the silent majority are always going to have an issue when decisions are made. If the silent majority choose to remain silent, then their voice won’t be heard.
I respect Cody’s decision to not sing the anthem that he believes does not represent his culture, but I question if any benefit will come from it. Does that mean that if Latrell, Josh and the other indigenous players in either side do sing the anthem, they are being disrespectful to their culture?

Last edited:
Respectfully disagree.

The main point I was raising is the double standards of the media and the sporting bodies in relation to these two examples especially as the NRL has
said Izzy and his divisiveness is not welcome but another player can make a divisive comment but nothing to see here.

Some might not see either as divisive comments either but some have been brought up that they are.

As far as I know Folau's posts on social media are quoting the Bible and he's spreading the word in his opinion - the fact that he has hundreds of thousands followers on insta and twitter is more an indictment on society rather than him - most of us would never have seen, known or cared if it wasn't brought to our attention by the media.
He's been excluded and condemned but that's the way he was brought up and they are his beliefs.

Obviously someone has interviewed Walker and raised the issue with him again.
If he doesn't want to sing our National Anthem that is his decision but a "quiet respectful protest" should be just that.
Once he raised the issue publicly ( ie in an interview in the build up to SOO1 ) it ceased being a quiet protest, it became a very public protest whether he likes it or not.
But that's okay because it's the way he was brought up and they are his beliefs.

Don't sing it, that's fine, I don't sing hymns on the rare occasion I step foot in a church ( funerals etc ) either but I don't walk in and say I'm not singing hymns today because
I don't believe in God and it's the way I was brought up.
I know I'll piss people off and upset them, so why do that?

The issue as I see it is not if he sings or not but that he has made it an issue. His business if he doesn't want to sing it. But I assume he is making a statement, otherwise he would tell the reporters its none of their business what he chooses. I also have personal issues as you have Stuboot about a lot of things, but its my business not the world's. Having a point of view is everyone's right. Promoting it is proselyting just like Tom Cruise pushing his Scientology views. It borders on 'I know better than you'.

That's why the words ^young and free' have been picked out and deliberately taken out of context... because there is nothing else in the song to take umbrage at...

Change Australia day date because it's associated with invasion - sure, go for it...

Take Union Jack off flag due to association with Britain - ho hum

Not sing anthem because it doesn't represent everyone - gimme a break...

I got news for you, the word 'girt' doesn't represent ANYONE (except maybe a couple of academics somewhere'....

Outrage for the sake of outrage... welcome to Australia in 2019...
With you all the way Frank.

I think it is tome to change the anthem.

Lots of it grate on quite a few Australians.

Especially “young and free”, which was aspirational propaganda at the time it was written.

This is an ancient culture, and many indigenous people don’t feel free.

And many white ancestors came here in chains.

• Clever
Reactions: R3

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8