Cody Walker has refused to sing the Australian anthem

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Narrabeen Laker

Reserve Grader
Blues rookie Cody Walker says he will not sing the national anthem before the State of Origin opener next Wednesday,

This should be interesting

I think the fallout from the Indigenous game blew over fairly quickly. I will brace myself to hear another week (maybe 3) of storm in a teacup outrage.
I remember the days when players didn't sing the anthem because they couldn't understand and remember most of it - or because that not what (men and) footy players are there for. Cody has a pretty valid reason not to sing it and it's not like he is asking anyone else to join him.
Personally I don't sing the anthem because it sounds like a cat stuck in a vacuum cleaner, but maybe that's my terrible singing voice.

I'll bet you anything that if he was ever selected to play for Australia he would grab it with both hands, anthem or not, however if he was a man of his convictions he should reject playing for Australia if ever the opportunity arose, lest he be labelled a hypocrite.

They discussed this briefly on the BSB (2KY) this morning.

As he is quoted
"I'm not pushing my views on anyone, it's just how me and my family have grown up and how I feel,"
"I've already voiced my opinion, and I want to reiterate it's just my opinion."

I think it was Jimmy Smith that said "well if that's the way he has been brought up and that's how he feels then fair enough"

I challenged him with an SMS suggesting the media's double standards in light of Israel Folau voicing his opinion as he was brought up thinking like he does - no response, not that i expected one.

I'm in no way defending Izzy here but both Rugby codes bang on about "inclusivity for all" yet condemn one man for his beliefs and accept another's controversial beliefs that flies in the face of a vast
majority of Australians..

No wonder this country battles to be truly united.

I'll bet you anything that if he was ever selected to play for Australia he would grab it with both hands, anthem or not, however if he was a man of his convictions he should reject playing for Australia if ever the opportunity arose, lest he be labelled a hypocrite.

BREAKING NEWS!

ScoMo to hold immediate discussions in parliament to change anthem due to walkers actions! All in favor say i all opposed..... me (simpsons joke)

Totally disagree, Cody is one of the original Australians :wait:

Media are just trolling sportmen with these polarizing questions. :swear:

Last edited:
Credit to him for making his stance known. It is symbolic.
Yes footy is great, it's an honour represent your state (and country) but why should he stand for that song?

The fact is, we are not all young and free. Indigenous Australians are the oldest civilisation in the world
https://www.history.com/news/dna-study-finds-aboriginal-australians-worlds-oldest-civilization

And the most imprisoned
http://theconversation.com/factchec...s-the-most-incarcerated-people-on-earth-78528

So if thinking about that makes you feel uncomfortable on Origin night (Cambo!!) just have another beer or two and I'm sure you'll soon forget all about it.

Free country, I've no problem with it
The irony is that the words “for we are young and free” are the words some indigenous folks take umbrage at.

I’m with you, I don’t have a problem with cody’s position. He actually wants something that unites, not divides, and I think that is a good motivation.

I also don’t personally have a problem with the national anthem (other than the fact I don’t find it particularly inspiring) and don’t quite understand the brouhaha around it. But then again, I am not indigenous so I can only listen to their perspective and take that on board.

As he is quoted
"I'm not pushing my views on anyone, it's just how me and my family have grown up and how I feel,"

I think it was Jimmy Smith that said "well if that's the way he has been brought up and that's how he feels then fair enough"

I challenged him with an SMS suggesting the media's double standards in light of Israel Folau voicing his opinion as he was brought up thinking like he does - no response, not that i expected one.

I'm in no way defending Izzy here but both Rugby codes bang on about "inclusivity for all" yet condemn one man for his beliefs and accept another's controversial beliefs that flies in the face of a vast

Pretty long bow IMO

Walker is simply not singing, a quiet respectful protest.

Folau is openly attacking members of the community (for the second occasion after being warned)...........a more apt comparison would be Khawaja refusing to wear alcohol advertising due to his beliefs.

For Folau and Walker to compare...........you could have Folau opting to respectfully opt not to dance in mardi gras or not to enter pubs..........or on the flipside Walker to actively sing a indigenous song during the anthem thus disrupting it etc.

That is actually an interesting point. Sort of that ‘biting the hand that feeds you’ question...

But still, I’m on the ‘meh - doesn’t bother me’ side of things.

As he is quoted

No place for logic in this debate.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4