Brad Parker is a ginja-ninja machine!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
True. Started as a halfback and was a 1963 Kangaroo in that position.

When Bozo joined in 1966, I believe Stanton was still playing half with Fulton as 5/8. With the arrival of Dennis Ward from Canterbury in 1968 (who left that club because he was stuck in the reserves behind Ross Kite), Stanton moved out to the centres.

. A bit like Chris Close in his prime. Good defender and a good foil for centre partner Frank Stanton,
I saw Tennant play during all his career at Manly. He was stockily built, maybe 5'11 & 15 stone (exact stats can probably be found somewhere). He was a hard straight runner and difficult to tackle. The most notable feature of his game was his front on crash tackling. His pace was sufficient - maybe similar to Shaun Timmins. He regularly broke the line.

It was a different game in that era catering for a wider variety of body shapes & sizes. With inside & outside centre, sometimes smaller players were inside centres. Frank Stanton transitioned very successfully from half to centre after Manly imported Denis Ward from Canterbury. Also, Australian halfback Billy Smith played a lot at centre for St George.

Some good news for Manly fans in the wake of last Saturday night's costly loss to the Storm.

Much-improved centre Brad Parker is set to reject offers from at least four rival clubs to sign a new deal at Lottoland.

Parker has been one of the rising stars of Des Hasler's second coming at Manly and his form has attracted plenty of interest in recent weeks.

Look for him to sign an upgraded deal in coming days.
This exact scenario was predicted by none other than the @The better Robbo at the beginning of the season... well done mate.

Alec Tennant

Here is photo of a 1968 team. Tennant is back row, far left. I remember all the players except back row, second from right. Does anyone know his name? Likely a forward (Graeme Knox?)

Sea Eagles_1968_1.jpg

Alec "the pig" Tennant was a blockbusting centre .... a competent and useful firstgrader ... but not skillful or fast enough to be considered rep level .... known for his tackling style ... a habit of runnung full pace into ball carriers without deviation or consideration of technique ... more in tune with a collision or car wreck than tackle ... a good bloke and Manly man ..

Pretty sure I never saw Tennant play but when I was a kid I clearly recall Frank Hyde saying that he and Stanton made an excellent centre pairing, because of their different styles.

Come to think of it, a lot of my early memories of players and games are actually just scenes that Frank’s awesome commentary inspired in my imagination, rather than from anything I actually saw!

No Alec Tennant, 'Pogo' Morgan, Ken Day, Mick Veivers and where was that clever little winger that only lasted a season in Mick Bryant

No Alec Tennant, 'Pogo' Morgan, Ken Day, Mick Veivers and where was that clever little winger that only lasted a season in Mick Bryant
Not sure if you are referring to any games in particular. Tennant & Morgan played in the '68 & '70 GFs, but the other three didn't. Day was injured before the '68 GF. I think Mick Bryant was an exciting player, but maybe a bit error prone.

1968 team https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/.../south-sydney-vs-manly-warringah/summary.html

1970 team
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/.../south-sydney-vs-manly-warringah/summary.html

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8