BJ Lawrence future

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
And Roosters aren't infallible with their recruitment and retention. They had Shillington for a few years then let him go, and he went on after that to win selection for Queensland and Australia for several years.

OK Ralphie. I get your point. Perhaps I am over stretching my competence a mite.

But surely you can see that letting go some of our best young talent for short term success , if that is what they are doing, is unlikely to benefit the club in the long run. Would Arthurson, even in his big buy up of talent risk losing what he's already got and which at least in the short term will cost less, and in the long term develop a stable core of players like we had in the noughties. Would it have been wise to let go Menzies for a much older high profile player when he was coming through. Would they have swapped Branson for Fulton when Branson seemed the player of the future.

All I am trying to say is that holding onto your young talent, and we have such a limited supply, is surely in the long term a better proposition. Sydney City have it right. They pinched Warea-Hargraves from us and look at the outcome. Am I being so illogical?,
Mate, I agree with you 100%, the one that really pissed me off was JWH who should never have been allowed to go. The facts are that Gutho wanted to leave to try and land a permanent 1st grade fullback gig that he would not have been able to do at Manly. Demetriou was released for discipline reasons so it just isn't as cut & dried as everyone thinks.

JWH got offered a better deal and, at the time, a better Cha Ce at first grade.

How did we let him go? We could not compete with the offer

Exactly correct, I live in Bondi and often see JWH around, he's actually a pretty laid back bloke. I've spoken to him a few times and "rib" him about going back to the eagles.. Bit of a running joke as the first time we spoke I asked him why he left, why didn't he stay.
He basically told me he wants to stay and was all set to do so, but the roosters came in with a massively overs offer, he spoke to manly but it was over double their offer, at the time manly also had a few players coming of contact, like stewart, Choc, King, Ballin and the club couldn't match it.. He reluctantly left, told me he loved it at manly but now he's a rooster and wouldn't leave them.
You can't keep everyone s""t happens and that's the game e are in now

I understand we chose not to match what the Chooks offered and that's what may well happen again with Knight.

Ahhhh the good old days, when we had 2 current test players (including the Australian Captain) playing reserve grade, because you had to play Reggies to sit on the bench for 1st grade. It brings back fond memories!

We should be able to match the Chooks with their 3rd party deals but it maybe that unlike the Chooks, we are privately owned and as such any profit goes to the owners rather than back to the Club, so that may put off some potential 3rd party deals that the Chooks enjoy.

Im pretty confident that Cordners offer from manly has put a crap load of pressure on the roosters. Cordner is talked about as their future captain and him leaving to come to Manly would be a massive issue for the roosters.. I think they are going to target Liam big time now, with the same thinking of what they did and got in JWH.
I guess from the roosters point of view we either pull out of the Cordner deal to keep Liam or we risk losing him. So the roosters are just limiting their loss.
Indeed if the roosters loose Cordner they have the money to splash around and offering a kid the same sort of money as a seasoned first grade prop without really being tried and tested is a huge influence on the kid. Hopefully Manly get Cordner and tie up Knight.. But if we are being serious, Knight would be on around $100..(tops) that's only taking into account his potential with us, as many are on less. So if the roosters offer $200/$250 we could loose him.. If they do a JWH and put over $250k on the table he's gone, and I wouldn't blame him. Key here is we need to up our offer slightly to Knight and get a 2 year extention in place before pursuing Cordner any harder.
I think the goal from Bozo has always been to get Cordner and Klemmer or Tamou and let go of, Buhrer, Starling , Lawrence and Mateo. I'm happy with that if we get both Cordner and Klemmer/Tamou to join the likes of Kapow, Knight, Jake and co. Bozo has always had a hard head nut and a worker in his pack and Cordner and Klemmer fit the bill, really would like to keep Buhrer but the salary cap sucks and will kill that thought.

Ahhhh the good old days, when we had 2 current test players (including the Australian Captain) playing reserve grade, because you had to play Reggies to sit on the bench for 1st grade. It brings back fond memories!

We should be able to match the Chooks with their 3rd party deals but it maybe that unlike the Chooks, we are privately owned and as such any profit goes to the owners rather than back to the Club, so that may put off some potential 3rd party deals that the Chooks enjoy.
The chooks just found an extra 700k. Bye bye Pearce

The club has not made a profit under the Penns and probably never will, Brisbane and Souths are the only clubs that turn over a profit, so it's not a case of any profit going into the owners coffers.
Owning a rugby league team is like owning a Sydney to Hobart yacht, they both burn money for very little monetary gain.

The club has not made a profit under the Penns and probably never will, Brisbane and Souths are the only clubs that turn over a profit, so it's not a case of any profit going into the owners coffers.
Owning a rugby league team is like owning a Sydney to Hobart yacht, they both burn money for very little monetary gain.

True but the new tv deal will Change the landscape again (from memory the grants are increasing a fair bit )

What's the point in the teams making money anyway?what can they do with it?

Well it looks like BJs good form once he left the Titans to his back injury actually meant jack shiit to Cartwright. As you know BJ was told not to pack his bags for the training camp. On further talks with the coach he was told he would play reserve grade, and his style of play was too robotic, and not lateral enough, plus some other minor issues. Then it all clicked. The exact same things Cartwright had told him before he gave him the flick from the Titans. Apparently Buhrer is in exactly the same basket....not to play first grade.
I hope BJ stays. Not to prove Cartwright wrong, I already know he's wrong. I still think we're light on in the forwards, and at some stage of the season he will be a godsend.

Well it looks like BJs good form once he left the Titans to his back injury actually meant jack shiit to Cartwright. As you know BJ was told not to pack his bags for the training camp. On further talks with the coach he was told he would play reserve grade, and his style of play was too robotic, and not lateral enough, plus some other minor issues. Then it all clicked. The exact same things Cartwright had told him before he gave him the flick from the Titans. Apparently Buhrer is in exactly the same basket....not to play first grade.
I hope BJ stays. Not to prove Cartwright wrong, I already know he's wrong. I still think we're light on in the forwards, and at some stage of the season he will be a godsend.
Source?

Well if he's talking about BJ's inability to pass or look sideways while running then yeah, he's right...

Well if he's talking about BJ's inability to pass or look sideways while running then yeah, he's right...
Yet that got him into the emerging QLD Origin side, the prime minister's 13 against PNG. And was close to selection in the 2013 World Cup side.
What I'm saying is he hasn't changed his style since he was punted by Cartwright. In his first year with us, he was a revelation. Sure his opponents (technical support staff) have cut his time down, but what irks him is Cartwright conveniently forgets its that style of play that got him those representative honours, and until the back injury, some good to solid club form.Also the fact that Tooves was a great motivator and fan of his style. ( Bingo! I think I just worked out the real reason for his demise!)

His pace for a front rower was his strength-I think injuries and a new era at Manly see him as surplus....and unfortunately for BJ, that's about right.

If he is fully fit & wanting to prove a point ,there is no reason why he can't be our best forward this year.
Lussick & Myles are both coming off fairly average seasons last year.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
9 6 3 57 14
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10