ASADA Going Shark Fishing

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Dan79 said:
You know there is no truth to it. The best in the business,filth rothfield has been silent on the rumours.

He's silent on it because he's an avid shark supporter.

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
From what Paul Kent said in the radio this afternoon, the problem is with Peptides which were once legal for NRL players to take but have sine been added to the banned substances lists. Manly were the first club ASADA visited so I'm hoping that if our players took them, that it was before they were banned and that's why we haven't had the same dramas the sharks are having after their visit.

Supernintendo Chalmers said:
6 month bans...
basically saying we think your suss, might have something on you via phone tap, but have no hard proof / positive tests.
if you had solid proof, the bans would be much more than 6 months.

i love how fast this spreads on twitter, public chinese whispers. no one involved has made any statements, yet everyone with a twitter account knows someone who knows something 'but can't tell'.
When this first broke a few weeks back there was talk of a reduced 6 month ban for players who 'co-operate', in other words give information about others. That was the whole point of inviting the guilty to come forward under their own steam, the prospect of a reduced penalty.

Message from the Sharks:

Sharks fans and all rugby league supporters can be assured the club has been very proactive in fully cooperating with ASADA and taking other measures that prioritise the integrity of our club and the welfare of our playing group.

While there are strict boundaries around what we can say while the ASADA investigation is ongoing, fans should be assured that as soon as there is an opportunity to provide further information we will do so.

bones said:
From what Paul Kent said in the radio this afternoon, the problem is with Peptides which were once legal for NRL players to take but have sine been added to the banned substances lists. Manly were the first club ASADA visited so I'm hoping that if our players took them, that it was before they were banned and that's why we haven't had the same dramas the sharks are having after their visit.
Makes sense Bones. Also, am I correct in that Danks didn't work for us in 2011? I'm pretty sure peptides were put on the banned substance list in 2011.
Hope none of our boys are involved and I got to say this situation must suck for the Sharkies fans.
As for standing players down from a club point of view, any club's, I'd want to be presented with hard evidence without any shadow of a doubt before standing players down.
If undoubtably guilty then they do the time.

niccipops said:
bones said:
Makes sense Bones. Also, am I correct in that Danks didn't work for us in 2011? I'm pretty sure peptides were put on the banned substance list in 2011.
Hope none of our boys are involved and I got to say this situation must suck for the Sharkies fans.
As for standing players down from a club point of view, any club's, I'd want to be presented with hard evidence without any shadow of a doubt before standing players down.
If undoubtably guilty then they do the time.

Dank was at the sharks in 2011.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Supernintendo Chalmers said:
6 month bans...
basically saying we think your suss, might have something on you via phone tap, but have no hard proof / positive tests.
if you had solid proof, the bans would be much more than 6 months.

i love how fast this spreads on twitter, public chinese whispers. no one involved has made any statements, yet everyone with a twitter account knows someone who knows something 'but can't tell'.
When this first broke a few weeks back there was talk of a reduced 6 month ban for players who 'co-operate', in other words give information about others. That was the whole point of inviting the guilty to come forward under their own steam, the prospect of a reduced penalty.

fair enough, i was thinking that would be more for those who come forward rather than be chased down. I'd be guessing if the numbers are what they say they are, there wasnt that many people a few days out from season start suddenly coming forward. Makes their initial "call us, before we call you" stance look pretty weak if they are now visiting their targets and offering deals... of course these people may have been assisting them for a while we don't and probably won't know.

just reads a bit.. we threw out a threat... nobody bit, maybe we try plan b now...

for something of such supposed importance they seem to be going about it in a way too public manner, cant stop the slime journos staking clubs out etc but they all know as soon as a whiff gets out, speculation runs wild and its not exactly doing anyone any favours to have so much speculation in the air. seems all very amateur hour from my viewpoint!

swoop said:
Dan79 said:
You know there is no truth to it. The best in the business,filth rothfield has been silent on the rumours.

He's silent on it because he's an avid shark supporter.
He is silent because he misses all the big headlines and writes all the crap. He has no credibility. I would not print the **** he comes up with on toilet paper

If we used peptides when they were legal and other teams used them once they were banned and get suspensions we will still be made out to be the bad guys but how funny would that be.

SeaEagleRock8 said:

This is exactly the scenario now being alleged on Fox. A doping expert told 14 Sharks they should consider putting their hands up and copping 6 months. Otherwise risk a 2 year ban.

Pretty big news really.

Guess more info will come out tomorrow, but the way I understand it right now (and I could be very wrong), the allegation is that there was 'systematic doping' at the Sharks in 2011 - 14 players still on their books, six who have moved on. Also, whatever peptides they were taking were not banned by the NRL or ASADA at the time they took them (even in 2011) but are banned now. So I'm struggling a little to see exactly what they did that broke the rules (as they were at the time).
Seems kind of surreal that a whole team would be taking stuff - injecting it, no less. Unless of course they all thought it was legal.

Sharks must be cursed, this was going to be their best chance in years.
I think peptides were ruled out during 2011.

Back the Sharkies. I think whatever these government idiots have is very technical and not in any significant way "drug cheating".

It's going to get bigger than what it is, and it may include Manly, but at the end of the day these self important quasi enforcement government public servants are not going to provide evidence of much more than spurious crap which an embattled, failed miserable government has jumped on to divert media attention from their own desperate plight.

If you were in charge at Cronulla you'd be staring these morons down and saying "bring it on".

Some big names apparently, so the expert journos reckon on Twitter. If there is 14 that's virtually the entire squad, they will be flat out running a team out, might be better to forfeit the entire year??

As much as i hate the Sharks and hope they NEVER win a premiership.... i hope that none of their players cop a suspension over this. It seems ridiculous to suspend players in such a huge way, over something that was legal twelve months earlier, especially if they were not aware of the change.

Suspensions loom for host of Cronulla stars hit by scandal
Date March 7, 2013
Michael Carayannis, Brad Walter

Several Cronulla players and their agents left a meeting at Sharkies Leagues Club on Tuesday night with their careers in tatters after being told that they faced the high possibility of an immediate six-month suspension.

Fairfax Media was told that the meeting was the sixth attended by the Sharks players since the dramatic media conference in Canberra a month earlier to announce the findings of an Australian Crime Commission report into doping and match fixing.

However, it was the first at which player agents had also been invited to and rumours quickly began swirling on Wednesday morning of a story that would knock Ben Barba and Sonny Bill Williams off the front and back pages of newspapers.

It is believed the players have been offered six-month bans rather than the two-year suspensions that normally apply to athletes proven to be drug cheats if they confess to taking performance-enhancing substances. No player is thought to have failed a drugs test. It's understood that if players do admit to taking a banned substance they would claim that they did so unknowingly.

Advertisement Fairfax Media has been told that Sharks players were given beta thymosin and CJC 1295 during the 2011 season. It has been suggested that the substances were not on the World Anti-Doping Agency banned list at the time.

Sharks coach Shane Flanagan and football manager Darren Mooney did not return calls. A club spokesman denied reports that the players had been interviewed by the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority on Wednesday.

Instead the players trained as normal to prepare for Sunday night's match against Gold Coast, but their futures are uncertain amid speculation that either ASADA or the club will stand them down on Friday.

A shopping centre appearance by players on Thursday night was scrapped and an announcement of a new sleeve sponsor has been delayed. The Sharks say they have already lost a deal of up to $2 million for the naming rights of their stadium after they were one of six NRL clubs named in the ACC report.

All six clubs - Cronulla, Penrith, Manly, Canberra, Newcastle and North Queensland - have links with sports scientist Stephen Dank, who is at the centre of an investigation into an AFL club, Essendon.

Dank was sacked by Essendon at the end of last season and more than 20 of the club's players have been interviewed by ASADA.

The Sharks issued a statement on Wednesday night, announcing they were working with ASADA.

''Sharks fans and all rugby league supporters can be assured the club has been very proactive in fully co-operating with ASADA and taking other measures that prioritise the integrity of our club and the welfare of our playing group,'' it said. ''While there are strict boundaries around what we can say while the ASADA investigation is ongoing, fans should be assured that as soon as there is an opportunity to provide further information we will do so.''

NRL officials said they had not been contacted by the Sharks or ASADA over the fate of any Cronulla players. There were high hopes Cronulla would break their long-running premiership drought in 2013 but the latest developments have put an unwanted pall over the club.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/suspensions-loom-for-host-of-cronulla-stars-hit-by-scandal-20130306-2flrf.html#ixzz2Ml4NoJyK

Really? I have a bit of a soft spot for the Sharks except when we play them.
I feel sorry for them as they have a trophy cabinet that is empty.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6