Anthony Seibold - Manly coach. "Official"

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
I don't know if Seibold is the right fit or not. Time will tell but seriously if we keep on the same path we'll get the same results. Even last year I had no confidence that we could beat any of the other top 4 sides which we couldn't.
Our defensive structure has been brittle for years. Our attack is all off Tom. Until we get a whole team effort in both areas we will never compete at the top.
Spot on. I would just settle for some structure in attack e.g Cowboys, better defensive structure and line speed e.g. Penrith and we will see improvement.

According to the DT Laurie Daley will also be on board. So Des as coach for 2023, Siebold asst coach and Daley coaching director. What could go wrong............

In fact history suggests Des can't really work with anyone.
He's had very long term working relationships with some, such as Crusher and Donnie. He is especially known for his strong relationships with his players.
But no, he doesn't have a good record for getting along with Penn (or some of the old guard Dog brigade for that matter.) Of course, this could be seen as a strength not a negative!

By the way, does anyone know these new terms: 'clipboard coach', 'powerpoint coach'? I've read that Penn likes these.
Are there any NRL coaches that don't use clipboards or analyse the game?
(aside from Tooves of course) :)

I agree 100%... we need to be making decisions focused on winning our next premiership.

So in that sense I can understand the argument for not extending Des.

But, for mostly the same reasons as you highlighted previously, I don't see how the club's choice of replacement coach potentially gets us to a premiership.

Yeah, my comment was more a general attitude thing than a specific suggestion about who should coach .. the variables are so many and constantly changing ...

He did do a stint under Bellamy and he get Coach of the Year. I'm willing to dismiss the Broncos experience because I'm sure there were huge factors against him and people should always be given the chance to learn.
As you indicate, best option in an impossible situation.

I am not a siebold fan .. But if he gets the job I will support him and give him at least a year and a half before either losing it ... or praising him .. the one thing he does have in his favour ... he will be desperate to succeed ..

According to the DT Laurie Daley will also be on board. So Des as coach for 2023, Siebold asst coach and Daley coaching director. What could go wrong............

That article also said he would have NO coaching role .... just a part time job focusing on roster management and pathways ...

FED-UP EAGLES DEMAND HASLER ANSWER

Des Hasler has until the end of the week to decide if he will remain as Sea Eagles coach after the club imposed a deadline on the veteran mentor to accept a raft of changes to his powers.

News Corp understands that Hasler has a matter of days to fall in line or face the prospect of being shown the door.

Frustrated Sea Eagles officials privately concede the situation between club and coach has become toxic, almost to the point of no return.

Hasler’s only hope would be to accept the changes that the club wants to impose on his coaching department and work with the club cohesively on a succession plan for his eventual departure.

There is every chance the parties decide to go their separate ways before the deadline given the divide between coach and head office.

Hasler may come to a conclusion that the writing is on the wall and walk away from the final year of his contract. That would then leave the two parties to negotiate a settlement which could be as high as $1 million.

Hasler spent the weekend mulling the changes the club put to him late last week after a raft of meetings. The changes include stepping away from recruitment decisions and allowing the club to appoint his assistant coaches after News Corp revealed the restrictions placed on Hasler.

One of those assistants will be Anthony Seibold, who the club has anointed as their preferred long-term option to replace Hasler.

Hasler is understood to be considering his legal position as he ponders taking the club to court over the handling of the pride jersey fiasco.

Hasler’s dream scenario is to be granted a 12-month extension and work with Cronulla assistant Josh Hannay for the next two year before Hannay takes control as coach in 2025.

However, senior figures in the club are fast losing patience with their coach given the way the past month has played out, with key figures barely speaking since News Corp revealed the depth of the dramas on Sydney’s northern beaches.

Sea Eagles officials have become frustrated with what they perceive as Hasler’s refusal to cede power and influence at the club. They feel they are being treated with no respect, a feeling that is no doubt reciprocated within the Hasler camp given he is arguably the most successful coach in club history.

The coach has been the most dominant figure at Manly during his two stints in charge, a period when the club has had a revolving door of chief executives.

The only stability has been in the coaching department, although those with long memories haven’t forgotten the way Hasler walked out on the club after the 20011 grand final win to join Canterbury.

He returned when things at the Bulldogs went sour and was given unfettered control at Manly on his return. However, figures within the club have made the decision that Hasler’s power needs to be reined in after the disappointment of 2022 – the club missed the finals, losing a series of games after the Pride jersey fiasco.

That sombre end to the season left Sea Eagles powerbrokers determined to wrest back control from their coach and have more say over the future, including the plans for a successor to Hasler.

Hasler has dug in his heels and that has only strengthened the resolve of Manly officials to take back control of the football club from their coach.

Chief executive Tony Mestrov has been at the centre of talks with Hasler, although chair and owner Scott Penn is back in the country and determined to resolve the issue before he heads back to America,

There is a view at the upper echelons of Manly that Hasler has shown little inclination to change. They also dismiss the notion that they are making life difficult for Hasler as retaliation for his handling of the Pride jersey fiasco, which some have suggested reflected poorly on club hierarchy.

Seibold worked as an assistant coach under Trent barrett at the eagles.

Einstein’s definition of insanity is “doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”

Last edited:
I disagree I read an article saying hasler was aware of pride jersey as Hugh Jackman was wearing it prior to pride round 6 weeks before so maybe Des isn't forthcoming with the truth to deflect it on club hierarchy, instead they known the truth 🤔?more than meets the eye I'd say.

Last time the club took control they appointed Trent Barrett

We all know how that turned out
True, but the results under DESpicable haven't been up to expectations, and the way our 2022 season finished indicates that he no longer commands their respect.
I don't want to have to endure a season that is a continuation of how we concluded 2022. I don't know how much blame should be attributed to DESpicable. I do know that changes need to be made.

The rainbow jersey feels like a real Desflection from the fact that the last two seasons (with and without Tommy) our structures looked sh*t.
Our defence and attack did not look well drilled or well organised and it’s become convenient to focus on the jersey. But when you go back to all the game day threads prior to Rainbow Gate we were calling the team unfit, disorganised and poorly assembled.
The last 2 coaching stints for Des have caused the dogs and sea eagles to go backwards ever since he made the GF with the dogs. It feels like he peaked around a decade ago. His team selections and recruiting were leaving us scratching our heads long before the rainbow appeared

As MFB pointed out, he was always gonna end terms with Manly the way he left us and the dogs before

Unfortunately the Penn is mightier than the sword. Both should go, but a new coach sounds like a more realistic change of which many are needed

It’s looking almost certain Anthony will be the coach next season.
I will reluctantly given him support, I don’t think he is the right fit at Manly and the club could have done better.
If he manages to not get the wooden spoon then the season will be a success.
I don’t expect him to come in and be pushing for the top 8 let alone a premiership next season. There is a lot of repair work required, more of a knock down and rebuild.

The last 2 coaching stints for Des have caused the dogs and sea eagles to go backwards ever since he made the GF with the dogs.
What? Yes that is true, at the Dogs he didn't make the grand final since making the grand final (twice) (with a side that was 10th when he took over.)

Back at Manly he took over a side that finished 15th - 2nd last - and got us to Finals week 2, and last year to a Top 4 finish and the prelim final.

I know where we finished this year but it is simply wrong to say this stint of Des's with Manly has caused us to go backwards.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
11 7 4 59 14
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 -10 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11
10 4 6 15 10