Anthony Seibold - Manly coach. "Official"

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
As an observer, and I know we all see differently and facts are often debatable, I see Des on a familiar and recurring trajectory. Not so much one of results but of emotional status where he begins to behave like a trapped animal.
We are reaching the same denoument as Des at Manly Round One and Des at Canterbury. It is the same with one commonality ... Des Hasler.
It’s rinse & repeat x 3

I still respect Des for what he did up to 2011.

And he’ll go down as being a very important part of our history.

But I think it’s time for a freshen up and some modern thinking.

We may well go backwards a little with another coach ( for a while ), but we won’t go forward with Des only just marking time !!

Last edited:

Johnno74

Reserve Grader
Can you tell me one thing that Des has actually done thats put manly in the media?

Rainbowgate? No
Manase F? No
DW DV charges? No
Tommy corso Hammy? No
AFB release? No
Out of touch owner? No

And I'm sure the list goes on....
I wasn't saying Des I was stating it would be good to see Manly the football club out of the Media for once as lately all we hear is negativity from both Des and the club hierarchy.Its a sad state of affairs and I think a new coach will settle things down players front office ect as Desses job is untenable in my opinion and I believe we need change only my opinion.

mickqld

Sea Eagle forever
Tipping Member
It’s rinse & repeat x 3

I still respect Des for what he did up to 2011.

And he’ll go down as being a very important part of our history.

But I think it’s time for a freshen up and some modern thinking.

We may well go backwards a little with another coach , but we won’t go forward with Des only be marking time !!
You said it. Des is trading on 10 yr old success. Funnily enough so is our over paid halfback. It's time for a change in culture because they are both stale and without fresh ideas.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
You said it. Des is trading on 10 yr old success. Funnily enough so is our over paid halfback. It's time for a change in culture because they are both stale and without fresh ideas.
He was a cheap alternative for Penn following TBaz.

A Manly man , etc etc etc .

But really ( and I did say it at the time ) we should have known it would end up in acrimony.

I’m not at all surprised by what’s happening , and all the leaks to the media , well that’s not hard to see where it’s coming from.

mickqld

Sea Eagle forever
Tipping Member
I don't know if Seibold is the right fit or not. Time will tell but seriously if we keep on the same path we'll get the same results. Even last year I had no confidence that we could beat any of the other top 4 sides which we couldn't.
Our defensive structure has been brittle for years. Our attack is all off Tom. Until we get a whole team effort in both areas we will never compete at the top.

EOL now nesting on the GC

Official NRL commentator of the UK Royal Family
Premium Member
Tipping Member
He’s very good with all that side of things and you can only blame the administration of the organisation for most of those!!

BUT

I give you the acrimonious departure from Manly in 2011 when he completely destroyed any joy we got from winning a GF.

And then I give you the extremely acrimonious departure from the Bulldogs.

And then here we are again with another very difficult departure driving the media into a frenzy.

He’s got history , lots of it.

Oh , but I’m sure you’ll want to blame everybody other than him for each of these !!!
Mate 2011??? I know your were Anti des over my dead body before he came back and that hasn't changed.

We won our last GF under this guy and the team HE built. He only left us because of the board and owners playing stupid games as they are now.

I honestly don't care if he goes or stays my only point is if he does go he has to be replaced with better. Seibold? Flanno the drug cheat? Potter? Etc... none are better options.

Premium Member
Tipping Member
As an observer, and I know we all see differently and facts are often debatable, I see Des on a familiar and recurring trajectory. Not so much one of results but of emotional status where he begins to behave like a trapped animal.
We are reaching the same denoument as Des at Manly Round One and Des at Canterbury. It is the same with one commonality ... Des Hasler.
Or you could say the Trainers with the whips (penn) are all arseholes and eventually it doesn't matter who the Lion is they rise up and leave?

Eagle 1

First Grader
I don't know if Seibold is the right fit or not. Time will tell but seriously if we keep on the same path we'll get the same results. Even last year I had no confidence that we could beat any of the other top 4 sides which we couldn't.
Our defensive structure has been brittle for years. Our attack is all off Tom. Until we get a whole team effort in both areas we will never compete at the top.
You make some good points mqld, but Seibolds not one of them. When he was the Broncs coach we all saw a side of him that was plainly odd, no team talks just passing comments as he slowly walked around the players shed. With most players not responding to him or just looking the other way. Sorry, not the coach I want for us.

Ryan

Journey Man

The frustrating part is, on our day we CAN beat anyone. We played the Cowboys and Storm in back to back weeks, and literally dominated until our arse fell out.

Also, that game in Mudgie against The Raiders. That was a full 80 minute performance.

We just need a culture where a minimum standard is accepted and expected, and anything less than that won't be tolerated. From DCE to Condon, you misfire, there's consequences. That's called accountability.

Jason King told me once at a function, that's why the squad back then was improving. Not only Des held them accountable, but to a player, each did as well.

Ryan

Journey Man
Mate 2011??? I know your were Anti des over my dead body before he came back and that hasn't changed.

We won our last GF under this guy and the team HE built. He only left us because of the board and owners playing stupid games as they are now.

I honestly don't care if he goes or stays my only point is if he does go he has to be replaced with better. Seibold? Flanno the drug cheat? Potter? Etc... none are better options.

Wellll, we don't actually know that mate until they get in and have a go. Then we can fairly judge.

I know it's a ****ty time right now, and the vultures in the media are feeding, but whatever outcome we get, will be positive and refreshing (even IF Des is retained, and he gets two new experienced assistants for example).

A change is as good as a holiday, and we certainly need change - even to reset the culture among the 30 man roster.

Get some BBQ's happening. Card nights. Something.

R3

Bird gang affiliate
Wellll, we don't actually know that mate until they get in and have a go. Then we can fairly judge.

I know it's a ****ty time right now, and the vultures in the media are feeding, but whatever outcome we get, will be positive and refreshing (even IF Des is retained, and he gets two new experienced assistants for example).

A change is as good as a holiday, and we certainly need change - even to reset the culture among the 30 man roster.

I remember when Beaver, Wolfman, Robbo, Josh Perry, Heath Le'strange and the Stewart brothers all gave mentions in different interviews to their regular poker nights/tournaments.
Inhouse, close-knit and low-key bonding without instructions from the club to do so

The last time a Manly coach tried to force camaraderie amongst the playing group, DCE punched Jackson Hastings and T-Ballz perpetuated the player divide publicly

We are a mess and we certainly need change...

Premium Member
Tipping Member

Stop being so positive Ryan.....

Scorpio

Armchair Expert
Our decision making must remain firmly fixed on winning a premiership ... NOT on trying to avoid getting a spoon.

Being the only "old" club never to have gotten a spoon is a good brag ... but it doesn't pay the rent.

If you start making decisions on the basis that fear of failure is greater than your desire for success ..

Then we are truly Fukked ..

I agree 100%... we need to be making decisions focused on winning our next premiership.

So in that sense I can understand the argument for not extending Des.

But, for mostly the same reasons as you highlighted previously, I don't see how the club's choice of replacement coach potentially gets us to a premiership.

alafua siaosi

Reserve Grader
I will give Des 2023 and 2024 the coaching role , as there were a lot of off field s- -t that went on in 2022 .The players also did not help with some of their performances .One thing I want to see next year is when players in the top 30 are not in the 18 for game day ,they should all be playing in the NSW cup with the 5 development players . Cannot wait for Manly to bounce back in 2023 .Let's go Mannnnnnnnly .

Ron E. Gibbs

First Grader
Obviously, whatever hatchet Des and Penn buried for Des to return has been prised lose and both sides are now swinging away merrily. They can't work together. In fact history suggests Des can't really work with anyone. And as much as I and many others would like to see Penn go, it ain't happening, so Des will have to move on. All the leaks and posturing over the last few weeks will only affect the size of his payout.

As Mark has said, it shouldn't surprise anyone that it's ending this way. The Manly/Des reunion after the T-Baz debacle was always a marriage of convenience. No other club would have Des and no other coaching candidate was willing to come to Manly. So we took the easy option and looked backwards instead of forwards, and here we are again.

I get that Seibold comes with a lot of baggage and not a lot of success. He's a big risk. Hannay would also be a risk, if he'd even be willing to leave the Sharks. But we need to take a risk. I mean, what are the options? Just like last time around, quality coaching candidates are not exactly queueing up outside Narrabeen with their resumes. The club is a punchline. We are beggars and we cannot be choosers.

If Ivan Cleary suddenly left Penrith, or Bellamy finally left the Storm, do you think those clubs would be considering Anthony Seibold or Josh Hannay? Of course not. Because (a) they would have a succession plan, and (b) coaches would kill to work in those systems.

Budgie

In for the long haul.
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
If Ivan Cleary suddenly left Penrith, or Bellamy finally left the Storm, do you think those clubs would be considering Anthony Seibold or Josh Hannay? Of course not. Because (a) they would have a succession plan, and (b) coaches would kill to work in those systems.
He did do a stint under Bellamy and he get Coach of the Year. I'm willing to dismiss the Broncos experience because I'm sure there were huge factors against him and people should always be given the chance to learn.
As you indicate, best option in an impossible situation.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
14 11 3 103 26
14 10 4 118 24
14 10 4 78 24
15 9 6 161 20
14 8 6 60 20
14 7 7 63 18
14 7 7 37 18
15 8 7 -8 18
14 7 7 -50 18