Andrew Davey

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Someone will probably take this the wrong way; I apologize up front if you do.

I was thinking about how Andrew Davey plays, and the only thing that stuck with me was.....he plays like a man.

Not a caricature of a man, or someone's all-inclusive definition, ..............he just seems to play 'manfully'. Perhaps the term had a greater, more positive significance once.

The sort of guy who would quietly say, "I'll do it" - and then lead the charge into the face of overwhelming opposition. And then not talk about it afterwards. Not a showboat, but someone who can be depended upon to put 100% (as you say, @maxta ) into everything.

Maybe I'm just looking through maroon and white eyes, hoping he's going to be our next Terry Randall for the next five years. Might be a stretch, but it would be great to have the next TR in our current side.

Davey seems to have the attitude, that's for sure - I hope he stays injury-free for a long time.
He plays like Gavin Cooper or Joel Thompson. Honest tradesman toilers who go 100% for 80 min. The sort of backrower you need to win games.

Calls to have the Schuster play Locke have me concerned .. The role of the 13 has changed since Gifty's time, and it is now a more intense middle forward defensive role than the old covering tackle and clean up job.

For example, Guac at 2nd row averages about 25 tackles per game ... Jake on the other hand averages about 40 tackles per game ..

If you are going to ask a player that we prize for his running, off loading and creativity to also make 40 tackles in the middle I fear the answer will be a kumquat.

Some serious re-evaluation of our overall game style and structures would be necessary ..

And the going back to just 2 genuine props, with one of those the lite weight Jake concerns me as far as grunt goes ..

But, all good problems .. we live in interesting times
Des isn't moving Jake anywhere. He'll be the lock for as long as ever he plays. We need his 40 tackles , his straighten the attack hit ups which allow us to then setup left or right.

Jake's an interesting one.

DES seems steadfast on him playing that first 20mins at lock.

But after that, DES already seems to have made the decision to move him to Prop, injecting Walkz extra speed and ball playing in the middle.

Hard to see why Shoe couldn't play Walkz role.

A Big part of our current game plan involves Jake's flexibility.

If Jake was rested.

Does A prop start at 13.

Does Walkz or Shoe start.

Will we ditch the link man / Prop combo.

Or will we see a Bullemore or DeLuis wearing the two hats?

I don't know!

Last edited:
Jake wont be playing prop - certainly not full time - he might pinch hit but he will be our lock. Jake doesn't have the bulk to be continually taking the ball one off the ruck and then backing up with 40 tackles. We need Schuster and Davey in that pack though as well.... we need Schu's incredible creativity but we can't only have one workhorse in Jake in the pack. Croker is a great defender as well but we need another no errors all heart player. I must say I have been really impressed with Davey's attack. He is a handful on that left edge with his angles and direct runs and his defence is top notch. I gather though sadly there will only be room for one and that Schu comes into the side in the backrow. I initially thought Schuster to 5/8 at the beginning of the year but Foran is playing fabulously so that wont happen. Will be interesting to see what the mad scientist does but gee Davey is a players player.

I know it gets said alot... but DAM it's good to have 'too many' good players to fit into one team.
The chance to keep some of our best players fresh and rotate some positions will leave the squad fresh by the time finals footy starts. I think we have the cattle to avoid the same burnout factor that showed up last year

Certainly leads by example, bit to late to become our next BK though. Would of loved to have Davey with us at 27 or 28, anyway, it is what it is, and I'm enjoying watching his tough brand of footy with us.

Will be interesting to see what the mad scientist does but gee Davey is a players player.
He is an interesting player and it's obvious Des sees a lot of value in him, on field as well off.
As for BK references, that could be a stretch! However in terms of age, BK debuted for Manly one day before his 31st birthday, and went on to have 2 of his best seasons. Davey is 30 (birthday 29 November.)

Jake wont be playing prop - certainly not full time - he might pinch hit but he will be our lock. Jake doesn't have the bulk to be continually taking the ball one off the ruck and then backing up with 40 tackles. We need Schuster and Davey in that pack though as well.... we need Schu's incredible creativity but we can't only have one workhorse in Jake in the pack. Croker is a great defender as well but we need another no errors all heart player. I must say I have been really impressed with Davey's attack. He is a handful on that left edge with his angles and direct runs and his defence is top notch. I gather though sadly there will only be room for one and that Schu comes into the side in the backrow. I initially thought Schuster to 5/8 at the beginning of the year but Foran is playing fabulously so that wont happen. Will be interesting to see what the mad scientist does but gee Davey is a players player.
Wouldn't surprise me at all if he got our players player award at the end of the season.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if he got our players player award at the end of the season.
He really is one tough hombre. I agree that it is a pity we didn't get him at 25/26 - what a player he would have been. Crazy that this quality of player goes unidentified for years. The reason though is that he isn't flashy - he doesn't make the highlights reels - he isn't uber talented. What he is though is all effort - great skill - virtually zero errors in attack and defence and the ultimate team player... all about the team and what he can do in his own way to influence the team... both on and off the field. I would bet he is the guy at training, training at 1000% and never ever cutting a corner.

He really is one tough hombre. I agree that it is a pity we didn't get him at 25/26 - what a player he would have been. Crazy that this quality of player goes unidentified for years. The reason though is that he isn't flashy - he doesn't make the highlights reels - he isn't uber talented. What he is though is all effort - great skill - virtually zero errors in attack and defence and the ultimate team player... all about the team and what he can do in his own way to influence the team... both on and off the field. I would bet he is the guy at training, training at 1000% and never ever cutting a corner.
100% BT, just love the way he runs those tough lines in attack, choc full of effort on effort.

Jake's an interesting one.

DES seems steadfast on him playing that first 20mins at lock.

But after that, DES already seems to have made the decision to move him to Prop, injecting Walkz extra speed and ball playing in the middle.

Hard to see why Shoe couldn't play Walkz role.

A Big part of our current game plan involves Jake's flexibility.

If Jake was rested.

Does A prop start at 13.

Does Walkz or Shoe start.

Will we ditch the link man / Prop combo.

Or will we see a Bullemore or DeLuis wearing the two hats?

I don't know!
We almost have too many options in our forwards. When looking at our make-up each match decisions must have to be made about 1. the strength of the opposition forwards and 2. our balance between attackers and defenders. For example, when we play the top teams we need greater emphasis on having good defenders in our pack (ie. Jurbo, Davey, Al and Froggy). When the opposition is looser in defence then we can throw in Sippers, Walker, Guacca, The Lawman, Bully, The Shoe and Tent.
Flexibility is the key to getting a start in our top 17 these days. Guacca and Jurbo are must-haves. Froggy and Al will almost always be picked when fit. Tent has become a bench certainty.
To be considered in our top 17 Bully and Davey should be willing, and able, to play front row when needed.
Where, and how, we play The Shoe is a puzzler. He must be somewhere in the 17 but how best to utilise his special attacking talent, whilst still maintaining a strong defensive pack, is a question that must be playing on the minds of our coaching panel.

He is an interesting player and it's obvious Des sees a lot of value in him, on field as well off.
As for BK references, that could be a stretch! However in terms of age, BK debuted for Manly one day before his 31st birthday, and went on to have 2 of his best seasons. Davey is 30 (birthday 29 November.)
The BK reference was more wishful thinking from me. Still, one can dream.
I was a bit surprised by Daveys height. He’s down as 6’5 /106kg. I don’t know why, I just didn’t realise he was that tall. Maybe work in a Shaun Lane offload (ones that actually stick!). Or leave him alone, and let him keep doing all the 1 percentages that he is currently doing.

The BK reference was more wishful thinking from me. Still, one can dream.
I was a bit surprised by Daveys height. He’s down as 6’5 /106kg. I don’t know why, I just didn’t realise he was that tall. Maybe work in a Shaun Lane offload (ones that actually stick!). Or leave him alone, and let him keep doing all the 1 percentages that he is currently doing.
Yeah I was surprised at his size in comparison to Fifita in the game the other day - he's taller & a tad less stocky than Fifita but my overall impression when seeing Davey marking Fifita was that he was the bigger man.

I saw Davey having a swim at North Bondi on Saturday. He's definitely taller and stronger than i expected.

Des isn't moving Jake anywhere. He'll be the lock for as long as ever he plays. We need his 40 tackles , his straighten the attack hit ups which allow us to then setup left or right.
That's a play structure I think we need to Tweek to compete with top 4. The top side just don't have as many settlers, set up plays a we do. Not saying it goes all together but we need to still be attacking and probing when getting to spots. We just not throwing as much at em even with 50 per cent possession.

We almost have too many options in our forwards. When looking at our make-up each match decisions must have to be made about 1. the strength of the opposition forwards and 2. our balance between attackers and defenders. For example, when we play the top teams we need greater emphasis on having good defenders in our pack (ie. Jurbo, Davey, Al and Froggy). When the opposition is looser in defence then we can throw in Sippers, Walker, Guacca, The Lawman, Bully, The Shoe and Tent.
Flexibility is the key to getting a start in our top 17 these days. Guacca and Jurbo are must-haves. Froggy and Al will almost always be picked when fit. Tent has become a bench certainty.
To be considered in our top 17 Bully and Davey should be willing, and able, to play front row when needed.
Where, and how, we play The Shoe is a puzzler. He must be somewhere in the 17 but how best to utilise his special attacking talent, whilst still maintaining a strong defensive pack, is a question that must be playing on the minds of our coaching panel.
Having Schuster doing his thing, around the rucks/middle is just another string to add to our already attacking options bow. It'll be like having another Turbo if you like in the forwards. Can't wait to see them both on the field together...it'll be carnage !!

Great tackle.

I really like Davey as a player....love his story and his perseverance.

I do wonder what happens to him when DCE returns and the Schu needs to be slotted in. I say that because I think Davey is better starting and playing big minutes as one of our no nonsense workhorses.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8