Albert Hopoate Jnr

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
No way they equal. Bare in mind Myles was on 500k himself. Caps up 200k. While The Knights covered some, Uate big coin. Kelly decent coin, not league minimum.

We also offered Pearce close to a mill at the start of the year, and Barrett said we had room to move (meaning there could be some front loading).

I realise people think Brown was rubbish, but he was on pretty big coin.

Lussick was on pretty good coin.

Also bare in mind M Wright was acquired just signing a solid 4 year deal (which we inherited), and I'd bet people would be shocked as to what he was on.

All the players bar Elgey (even though he WAS stuck in Titans reggie's) are Reggie's players on league minimum contracts.

No real numbers?

Of that Pearce 1M we spent 600K on Thommo, 300k on Hodko and 100+ on Suli.and then we lost 330k on the TPA penalty.

There goes the "room to move".

Kelly was on 150k
Poo on 300k
Darcy on 300k IIRC
Mr Plod on 500k maybe
The Wright triplets maybe 400k
Hastings 200k?

Elgey 300+
Waddell would be at least 200k

upgrades to:
Cade Cust
A Hopoate
M Fainu
Siro and
Api maybe 450k

Keppie, Elliot 250k

I figure we have something like 500k left.

Bring up Amone and Ando for about 100k, offload Frank and Perrett and we just about have a Will Hoppa and that makes 30.

We are still months away and there will be the odd addition to come . A bit early to be concerned.
Our forwards, and forward depth is mint. Don't get me wrong. But our backline. It's awful. We have some superstar quality IN there, but these gaps need to be filled, and I don't think we have the players right now to fill them properly (and I'm giving Elgey a chance):

01. Tom Trbojevic
04. Dylan Walker
06. Kane Elgey
07. Daly Cherry-Evans

Taufua (too slow), Parker (needs confidence), Suli (bad attitude, too slow), Elliott (needs experience), can't be anywhere near that line-up. Two of those enjoy a party lifestyle too much to work longer term.

While it's hypocracy for me to say no to Elliott about experience, that leaves for mine:

Tevita Funa
Jade Anderson
Albert Hopoate
Reuben Garrick

If you can somehow manage to acquire a big name centre like Will Hopoate, then and only then would I throw Albert to the wolves, otherwise, he's a few years away in development I think.

Our forwards, and forward depth is mint. Don't get me wrong. But our backline. It's awful. We have some superstar quality IN there, but these gaps need to be filled, and I don't think we have the players right now to fill them properly (and I'm giving Elgey a chance):

01. Tom Trbojevic
04. Dylan Walker
06. Kane Elgey
07. Daly Cherry-Evans

Taufua (too slow), Parker (needs confidence), Suli (bad attitude, too slow), Elliott (needs experience), can't be anywhere near that line-up. Two of those enjoy a party lifestyle too much to work longer term.

While it's hypocracy for me to say no to Elliott about experience, that leaves for mine:

Tevita Funa
Jade Anderson
Albert Hopoate
Reuben Garrick

If you can somehow manage to acquire a big name centre like Will Hopoate, then and only then would I throw Albert to the wolves, otherwise, he's a few years away in development I think.
Yer mate we are not far off and a centre and wingman will have us close. I'm leaning your way on the Jorge of late , to slow nowadays and injury prone . Hopoate would be an awesome addition and I wouldn't put it past the scientist to snare him. Still think we will get a couple yet.

I have no idea on how Des plans to use Albert and he has in the past thrown a rookie lacking experience into the deep end(Matai/Wolfman,yes,both a bit older than Albert,but Will got a start early).I have doubts that he will throw Albert in straight off next year,not because he does not have the ability or because he has never played against adults,more so because our defense needs working on and I think he might want to get that organized and settled and that may take a little time.If Albert starts next year,opposition teams will be targeting him(and whatever side/position he is playing) mercilessly and all game from the start.For me it is better to throw a young kid like Albert in when the side is a little more settled.Lets not forget that in 2017 he was playing Harold Matthews(U16s'),however who knows,maybe Des is prepared to take some growing pains next year with the side(in terms of team selection).

01. Tom Trbojevic
04. Dylan Walker
06. Kane Elgey
07. Daly Cherry-Evans

Tevita Funa
Jade Anderson
Albert Hopoate
Reuben Garrick

They wouldn’t waste a spot in the 30 unless Hoppa was a real chance of playing - mid year onwards most likely. Certainly not a few years away.

I agree that we need some injection of quality there - absolutely. I still hold out hope that Anderson with a solid offseason in the gym and ramping up the calories can get a gig at some point.

As for Suli, he will either turn his fitness and mindset right around - if he does he will be very special, if not, we won’t have to wait too long before Des shows him the door.

They wouldn’t waste a spot in the 30 unless Hoppa was a real chance of playing - mid year onwards most likely. Certainly not a few years away.

I agree that we need some injection of quality there - absolutely. I still hold out hope that Anderson with a solid offseason in the gym and ramping up the calories can get a gig at some point.

As for Suli, he will either turn his fitness and mindset right around - if he does he will be very special, if not, we won’t have to wait too long before Des shows him the door.
The same judges that predicted Tom Turbo would be the next big thing are predicting the same for Albert . When your good enough you are old enough and that is why our coach has wasted no time in promoting the young and talented Hoppa in our NRL squad .

They wouldn’t waste a spot in the 30 unless Hoppa was a real chance of playing

The top 24 was required to be named on 1 nov and we publicly named the 27 players we have under contract. We don't know who the 24 names that were given to the NRL who WILL be in our 29.
There are 3 named who were not part of those 24 who may or may not be a part of our 29, depending on Des's preferences and who else we sign before march 1.

Young Hoppa is not necessarily one of the 24 submitted to the NRL although he may well be. We don't know..

5 spots up for grabs at this stage.

The top 24 was required to be named on 1 nov and we publicly named the 27 players we have under contract. We don't know who the 24 names that were given to the NRL who WILL be in our 29.
There are 3 named who were not part of those 24 who may or may not be a part of our 29, depending on Des's preferences and who else we sign before march 1.

Young Hoppa is not necessarily one of the 24 submitted to the NRL although he may well be. We don't know..

5 spots up for grabs at this stage.
The club has reported its top 29 players and Hoppa is in that.
Top 29 squad

Daly Cherry-Evans, Cade Cust, Kane Elgey, Brendan Elliot, Manase Fainu, Addin Fonua-Blake, Tevita Funa, Reuben Garrick, Jack Gosiewski, Trent Hodkinson, Albert Hopoate, Brian Kelly, Semisi Kioa, Api Koroisau, Brad Parker, Taniela Paseka, Lloyd Perrett, Toafofoa Sipley, Curtis Sironen, Moses Suli, Kelepi Tanginoa, Jorge Taufua, Martin Taupau, Joel Thompson, Jake Trbojevic, Tom Trbojevic, Corey Waddell, Dylan Walker, Frank Winterstein

The club has reported its top 29 players and Hoppa is in that.
Top 29 squad

No, they publicly NAMED our top 29 contracted players as a "squad".and probably sent those names to the NRL.

The important word in Top 29 squad is "squad".
As I understand, naming 29 is not required nor are they ALL bound by the rules to be a part of our "top 29" come march 1..
Only 24 of those named are required to be named.
Only the top 24 players are bound by the rules at this stage, the other 5 named WILL NOT necessarily be a part of our top 29 named march 1 but may be.

Yes, young Hoppa is in the 29 named but nobody here knows if he is a part of the top 24 locked in by the NRL rules. He may be No 28 and therefore not bound by the rules to be in our 29 come march 1.

Last edited:

01. Tom Trbojevic
04. Dylan Walker
06. Kane Elgey
07. Daly Cherry-Evans

Tevita Funa
Jade Anderson
Albert Hopoate
Reuben Garrick

Parker=needs confidence but Suli=bad attitude and too slow you reckon? Parker needs more than just confidence mate... have a look at him run. He’s not fast, doesn’t possess any sort of decent step, is unathletic, and isn’t anywhere near close to being an NRL quality winger/centre. At this stage of his career, he’s the backup to the backup, as far as those positions are concerned. As crazy as it might have sounded at the time, I think @Bearfax is probably on the money about him eventually finding a home in the backrow.

Yer mate we are not far off and a centre and wingman will have us close. I'm leaning your way on the Jorge of late , to slow nowadays and injury prone . Hopoate would be an awesome addition and I wouldn't put it past the scientist to snare him. Still think we will get a couple yet.

If W.Hopoate is contracted to the Dogs, I highly doubt they would even think about doing Des any favours. Unless it's a like for like scenario, it aint gonna happen.

01. Tom Trbojevic
04. Dylan Walker
06. Kane Elgey
07. Daly Cherry-Evans

Tevita Funa
Jade Anderson
Albert Hopoate
Reuben Garrick

Cannot agree with your assesmment of Albert Hopoate, mate.

The kid turns 18 in 2019. He is a phenonenal talent.

Blokes with half his talent are playing first grade at 18.

He will be in firsts this season. Otherwise they will lose him.

On a side note....does anyone have any information about the 3rd brother Sione/Bonny/John?I think he has done his 2 year mormon mission and might be due back(he was a centre and would be about 20 years old?)...also Billy Bainbridge,he was taking a year off I think to get his shoulder problems sorted,anyone know if he is looking to return this year?

Cannot agree with your assesmment of Albert Hopoate, mate.

The kid turns 18 in 2019. He is a phenonenal talent.

Blokes with half his talent are playing first grade at 18.

He will be in firsts this season. Otherwise they will lose him.
Bloody hell... at 17 he already looks like a friggin tank! I assumed he was a year older at least.

No, they publicly NAMED our top 29 contracted players as a "squad".and probably sent those names to the NRL.

The important word in Top 29 squad is "squad".
As I understand, naming 29 is not required nor are they ALL bound by the rules to be a part of our "top 29" come march 1..
Only 24 of those named are required to be named.
Only the top 24 players are bound by the rules at this stage, the other 5 named WILL NOT necessarily be a part of our top 29 named march 1 but may be.

Yes, young Hoppa is in the 29 named but nobody here knows if he is a part of the top 24 locked in by the NRL rules. He may be No 28 and therefore not bound by the rules to be in our 29 come march 1.

I’m taking it at face value, the club has named their top squad and specifically called out Hoppa as promoted to the full time NRL squad. If he isn’t going to be in the top 30 he isn’t in the full time NRL squad. Yet the club has stated he is.

I think you are over complicating it by ignoring the statement of the club and looking at the base requirement for registration with the NRL. I have zero doubt he is in.

Yes there can still be players released (like Kelly) and players brought in before March 1 - but Hoppa is zero chance of dropping out. It’s a mute point - he is in. No doubt.

I’m taking it at face value, the club has named their top squad and specifically called out Hoppa as promoted to the full time NRL squad. If he isn’t going to be in the top 30 he isn’t in the full time NRL squad. Yet the club has stated he is.

I think you are over complicating it by ignoring the statement of the club and looking at the base requirement for registration with the NRL. I have zero doubt he is in.

Yes there can still be players released (like Kelly) and players brought in before March 1 - but Hoppa is zero chance of dropping out. It’s a mute point - he is in. No doubt.

If you think so.
Looks like a game of smoke and mirrors to me.

Can anyone name 5 players but just played regular first grade at 17/18 years of age?

I know filter played when he was 17 and also played origin when he was 18.

I think Brett Dallas also played first grade at 18 and was a regular.

Can anyone name 5 players but just played regular first grade at 17/18 years of age?

I know filter played when he was 17 and also played origin when he was 18.

I think Brett Dallas also played first grade at 18 and was a regular.
Ray Stehr: 16yrs 85 days Easts 1929
Jack Arnold: 16yrs 220 days Wests 1936
Frank Burge: 16 & 258 Glebe 1911
Adam Ritson: 16 & 303 Cron 1993
Paul Mellor: 16 & 313 Souths '91

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9