666 - Number of the Beast

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Preferred option to play alongside DCE in the Halves?

• Jackson Hastings

• Todd Carney

• Aiden Sezer

• Cameron Cullen

• Clint Gutherson

• Brock Lamb

• Moses Mbye

• Kane Elgey

• Dylan Walker

• Trent Hodkinson

• Luke Metcalfe

• Tom Wright

• Lachlan Croker

• Api Koroisau

• Tom Trbojevic

• Tyrone May

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yeah I agree but the guys not good and we left Green go who was very good for us
Very good for stretches. Not a complete start to finish season and he was only here one season. He was good in our wins but I don’t recall sitting back thinking WOW like I did after DCE single handedly dismantled the Dogs. It was more “he complements our better players well”

I was thinking if Manly could get Hodkinson for no more than 200k and have the Knights pay the rest of his contract it could be worth the risk. There would still be money left for another player.
If it doesn’t work out then we can turn to Hastings or Croker.

I’m pretty sure we’re at our threshold for our Top 30 mate so we couldn’t just buy another player with the cash left. Whoever we sign as a replacement for Green would simply fill his spot in the Top 30 squad.

Green v Hodko

About the same age

Both slow and defensively weak.

Green, the best repeat set player in the game.

Green, $350k a year and wanted much more and an extension.

Hodko, whilst no sharp shooter is a pretty fair goal kicker.

Hodko could at least run one side of the ruck, even if to only pass quickly or kick.

Hodko, would only be signed if the Knights pick up a VERY large part of his salary.

Hodko, would only come for one year, any longer at full freight would be very very silly.

Let Hastings / Croker fight it out and if they look good ,they get the start,if not we have an experienced half not too dissimilar to Green for a much lesser price in the wings.

As a stop gap measure only I can’t see too many down sides as long as the above conditions apply!
biggest downside is the guy can't even crack a spot in the spooners starting side

Hodkinson is contracted to the Knights for 2018...Lamb is contracted to the Knights for 2018. Which one are Newcastle prepared to release? Hodkinson.

There is a reason why...

He sucks. Not even the worst team in the competition want him.

So what do we do? Chase him?!?! How stupid.

Instead of surrendering meekly, we should be negotiating hard for Brock Lamb to sign for 2019 and eventually a release will be granted for 2018.

Agree with snake. Lamb has a lot of potential. Hodkinson hasn't even stagnated in potential, he had gone backwards. The biggest difference between us and the upper echelon of teams last year was a real attacking threat as our other half. Green did some good things, a few even great things, but I found him way to passive and devoid of anything attack wise except for a few moves.

biggest downside is the guy can't even crack a spot in the spooners starting side

Which is why as a super cheap backup it might work.

Look, he’s no superstar.

The Footy Dept had Green locked in for two years which would have been perfect BUT he and his manager wanted to be pricks, and we are in the position we are in due to this.

So, we are damned if we do and damned if we don’t.

Lamb would be a better option BUT ,

1) they probably won’t release him.

2) if they do he’d want 3 years, thus eliminating any advancement for the youngsters.

So in light of this a “ stop gap back up “ might be ok.

I would rather have a crack at Todd Carney for a year..he has more of an x factor than poor old hodko. But your argument has merits. I see hodko more of a spare for the spare.

I’m only condoning Hodko if he’s absolute bargain basement.

If they want better chase Lamb, but he costs more of course.

Dear Trent & Lyall,

On behalf of all Manly fans, surely, you cannot be even remotely serious about looking at Trent Hodkinson.

This is not a personal attack, Hodko is undoubtedly a fine fella.

This is simply about OUR team.

The team we want to succeed with a mixture of present big stars and rising young gun stars of the future.

Hodkinson does not even remotely fit either criteria.

He was dropped to reserve grade from the (by far) worst team in the league.

There's no Uate lazarus moment here, Hodkinson is never going to rise again.

He's shockingly slower than a wet week and offers nothing.

Please Trent, please Lyall, do not fall into some blind trap here.

Give Hastings a chance, and if his attitude is still a problem then give it to Metcalfe, or Croker, or Tom Wright.

But please, please, not old slow Hodko.

Maybe the club is thinking he could plug a hole for one season if they get him at a bargain price?

He is a game manager (which would allow dce to continue to do his thing without the added pressure) and a goal kicker which solves a few of our problems for at least short term?

This argument was dumb when it was about Uate, and it's dumb now.

Newcastle are a basket case and get the absolute worst out of their players.

Hodkinson has a cool head and is the only half to win NSW an Origin series in the last 12 years. He's not a bad player, and he'll be better at Manly than he is at Newcastle.

Urgently need an updated progress report on how the Manly training scene is going and the present half"s situation from Brad . [ though i have got nothing to offer in the way of suitable disguises ]

If we get Hodko we will prob let go of someone else in our top 30 and then make a play for a gun prop or 2nd rower.
IMO it might be better balance with a gun goal kicker and marquee froward than going all out for a 5/8 and no goal kicker.
Interesting times !

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8