666 - Number of the Beast

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Preferred option to play alongside DCE in the Halves?

• Jackson Hastings

• Todd Carney

• Aiden Sezer

• Cameron Cullen

• Clint Gutherson

• Brock Lamb

• Moses Mbye

• Kane Elgey

• Dylan Walker

• Trent Hodkinson

• Luke Metcalfe

• Tom Wright

• Lachlan Croker

• Api Koroisau

• Tom Trbojevic

• Tyrone May

Results are only viewable after voting.
Well Barry Eagle, I have to thank you for reminding me that I was once young. I must have forgotten.

When I can rustle up memories of those long ago days, I don’t recall (the 1980s equivalent of) being caught in possession of ecstasy pills, filming sex acts and drug usage, or consorting with known criminals - the latter posted to social media for us all to see. How smart was that? Just the sort of character we need at Manly, wouldn’t you say?

Perhaps you missed all that because you were doing your Rip Van Winkle impression at the time?

But keep going as the unofficial voice (and MWSE troll) of the RLPA.

I think some of you guys have a partial set against Gutherson because he walked out. The claim about Parra only winning 4 of 8 while Gutho was 5/8 neglects to indicate the players absent esp Norman for many of those games. Meanwhile Gutho was star of at least 5 of those games averaging 20 tackles a game, 8 line breaks, 4 tries, and as I continue to point out I am only one voice. Check out the assessments of the media. They brought in Moses because they wanted to firm up the backline. French is not a full back. Gutherson is. They were strengthening the three spots after having only two of those spots with a class player filling in. I suggest those with this set against Gutho check out some of the comments on the Parramatta supporters site. Will get things in a little better perspective.
No, if I had a partial set against Gutherson, I wouldn't champion him as a fullback. I think he is a fine footballer and a really good 1. However, I do not think he is anywhere near as good as Tom T.

Gutho is not a 6. The way the modern game is played, you have two halves, one either side of the ruck. The ball goes left or right and the 6 or 7 has options. You don't hear it on TV but the 6 or 7 has called a play and previously set up his outside support. What he does next with the ball and the option that he takes is crucial to a teams success.

Gutho is not the guy you want to be making these "option decisions". He is a runner of the ball and an opportunist. He may have done some good things with the 6 on his back last year, but they are good things that he could have done regardless of the number on his back. It's the little "option decisions" (particularly on last tackle) that separate halves from the other positions on the field. We saw Walker struggle with this in 2016. The Eels lost 3 straight with Gutho at 6 against poor opposition last year because he was ineffective at controlling his side of the ruck. He still scored the odd try or made the odd line-break but that was individual circumstantial plays, not effective game management. That's why Arthur went looking for another half, because it became apparent that Gutho was not a natural 6.

I can also totally understand why Gutho was released. In hindsight, it would be nice to have him sniffing around on the wing or maybe even centre, but at the time he was coming off a bad injury, we needed cap space and we thought Snake and Matai were good for another couple of seasons.

He is an Eel now so it helps no-one to keep harping on about Gutherson as if we just let the next Jonathan Thurston slip through the cracks.

So to summarise:
- Gutho is a good fullback but we have a fullback
- Gutho is not a 6
- Hindsight is wonderful
- Gutho is gone

From Buzz’s Monday column

SHOOSH
Don’t be surprised if the Manly Sea Eagles make a play for Parramatta Eels five-eighth Corey Norman as a replacement for Blake Green.

Ridiculous!! The only one likely to make a play for Corey Norman is good old Tony...
unnamed (11).gif

Sorry Turtbo but I disagree with you strongly and i think many experts in the game would support what I'm saying. And I do think you are being partial given your comment about him being so much lesser than TT at full back. TT will becomes a great full back in time. But Gutho is up there at the moment and the ratings he gets demonstrates that

Sorry Turtbo but I disagree with you strongly and i think many experts in the game would support what I'm saying. And I do think you are being partial given your comment about him being so much lesser than TT at full back. TT will becomes a great full back in time. But Gutho is up there at the moment and the ratings he gets demonstrates that
Tom has already been locked in as a long term NSW and Aus player. Gutho is not even being discussed. That tells me all I need to know and Tom is better and younger.

Tom has already been locked in as a long term NSW and Aus player. Gutho is not even being discussed. That tells me all I need to know and Tom is better and younger.

He's not being discussed now because he's suffered a serious injury. he was being discussed earlier in the year for rep football. He would have probably been selected for the kangaroos squad in the RLWC had he not been injured. But I'll show you something that demonstrates my point a little later Turbo

Gutho not even close to being on the same level as Tom.
Injury or not there's no way he would be in the Roos squad. He is a good ball runner and that's it. He would be a great centre in my opinion but there are a heap in front of him in that position too.
Good but not great.

As I said I'll demonstrate something later. No comment about his defence, Batty. What about his DallyM rating? I will demonstrate that perception is never a good guide to assessing a player.

I'm assuming you'll show some stats to back up your argument. Thing is, I can show you another set of stats that will say Turbo leaves Gutho for dead.
Anyway, Guthos 2nd reco on the same knee will greatly effect the player he was so I think Manly dodged a big bullet.

Patience Batty. Patience.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
9 7 2 72 16
8 7 1 56 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10