Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

28 man squad in 2021

ManEagle

Agree with getting rid of Walker
Sorry mate disagree specially as Suli is out for 5 to 6 months and return is an unknown quantity. If walker can get back on the field before season end in his center position and shows his class we would be mad to let him go

Scorpio

Armchair Expert
Thanks. Yes I had read that.
One of the worst foot injuries apparently and can have a permanent affect on performance.

Fingers crossed he gets through and heals well.
My concern is that we've only ever seen glimpses of his best (i.e. Souths semi-final last year). But we haven't really seen him hit that form consistently, and this is his third season here.

Now there is a huge question mark on what sort of player he will be when he returns from injury.

I'm just not sure what the answer is for our outside backs at the moment.

robbiea

Premium Member
Super Coach Member
My error and you are quite right. Last year he played 7 games at centre, 10 at 5/8. But that's not a great deal in the past 3 years is it, especially with inadequate 5/8s servicing the backline (and I dont need to prove that Des' actions say that enough)? Added to that he was coming back after a long period out of the game because of the No Fault issue.

Des returned him to 5/8 because of the failure of several players to adequately handle the position of 5/8 which includes defence. Elgey, Cust and Croker were never above him. It was because Des couldn't get that position right that he brought Walker in. If Walker had been fit this year, he would have been 5/8 again. As for looking terrible defensively that is an opinion not a fact. Yes injuries take their toll and often players take time to get their confidence back. But as I said he is only just about to turn 26, and that's at the peak of a players game.

Not sure what you've got against this player. I'm not sure wha(t he's on but he took a significant pay cut in his last agreement to stay with Manly. He's not on around $600,000 as he was a few years back. Suli earns more than him at $550,000 a year. Dylan is actually one of the cheaper top class centres. As for behaviour off the field, he overdosed on prescription drugs in 2015 and charges of assault against him were dismissed. Not saying he's a saint, but the stupidity five years ago is nothing but that, stupidity. The assault matter, no matter what happened, is not yours to judge.
It seems everyone else also has forgotten those games or has short memories.
Walker was plain awful in all of those games and up until he came back, Manly had been a defensive fortress under Des again.
It wasn't just opinion it was fact, unfortunately.

Please ,Check out a thread called " Biggest area for concern " from about 14 months back.

Last edited:

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
It seems everyone else also has forgotten those games or has short memories.
Walker was plain awful in all of those games and up until he came back, Manly had been a defensive fortress under Des again.
It wasn't just opinion it was fact, unfortunately.

Please ,Check out a thread called " Biggest area for concern " from about 14 months back.

Mate, its still opinion, your perception. Obviously its fine for you want to perceive it that way. I don't. And remember, Des consistently uses him as 5/8, a much more important position on the team. So it would seem Des sees his value. He never risked Suli, Parker, Elliott, Matt Wright in that position. As I perceive it, and I suspect many on this site would agree, the Suli/Parker partnership has looked pedestrian and not up to par. The three quarters and full back position have been Manly's Achilles Heel most of this season, and not much better in the past two seasons. It surprises me that given Suli's slow development, and being on a higher pay now apparently, that he is preferred to Walker. Is that about Walker's ability , performance, or is this about the perception of him outside of the game, a moral issue?

Batty

My concern is that we've only ever seen glimpses of his best (i.e. Souths semi-final last year). But we haven't really seen him hit that form consistently, and this is his third season here.

Now there is a huge question mark on what sort of player he will be when he returns from injury.

I'm just not sure what the answer is for our outside backs at the moment.
Not long turned 22.
Inconsistent? Yeah sure - but have a look at our performances as a team this year... all over the place.

I think he has the game to be a very destructive centre, especially if he can form a relationship with his wing/half. We just haven’t had consistency lately to build any kind of combinations. I liken him to BJL.

I hope he comes back fit and firing cause I feel he has the potential to be one of the best centre’s in the game. Just needs some consistency around him so he can show what he’s capable of week in/week out.

robbiea

Premium Member
Super Coach Member
Mate, its still opinion, your perception. Obviously its fine for you want to perceive it that way. I don't. And remember, Des consistently uses him as 5/8, a much more important position on the team. So it would seem Des sees his value. He never risked Suli, Parker, Elliott, Matt Wright in that position. As I perceive it, and I suspect many on this site would agree, the Suli/Parker partnership has looked pedestrian and not up to par. The three quarters and full back position have been Manly's Achilles Heel most of this season, and not much better in the past two seasons. It surprises me that given Suli's slow development, and being on a higher pay now apparently, that he is preferred to Walker. Is that about Walker's ability , performance, or is this about the perception of him outside of the game, a moral issue?
I dont think its just about his ability,his defensive issues or his persona & outside perception.
For me it's his value for money ,for the coin he is on he probably has averaged no more than 3-4 good games a year tops .Thats my opinion.

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
Not long turned 22.
Inconsistent? Yeah sure - but have a look at our performances as a team this year... all over the place.

I think he has the game to be a very destructive centre, especially if he can form a relationship with his wing/half. We just haven’t had consistency lately to build any kind of combinations. I liken him to BJL.

I hope he comes back fit and firing cause I feel he has the potential to be one of the best centre’s in the game. Just needs some consistency around him so he can show what he’s capable of week in/week out.

And I hope you are right because he is now costing us more than Walker with at best indifferent form and lack of pace, which has been seriously lacking in Manly's backline with what they have.

Manly has no chance of achieving a seriously competitive backline at this stage based on what we've seen without Walker, but if you are happy with that, so be it. Personally I dont think Suli will make it, what with Funa, Burbo, Harper and maybe even Hopa if he stays, but that combination is a year off yet I would say. There is promise, but at this stage its only promise.

What happens in the meantime. Suli and Parker again in the centres? Even if Walker slows down a little he's till the fastest we have in the centres. The thing is you seem to be basing your argument on a perception concerning 7 games in the centre after a long lay off, as opposed to a player who we only hope will be a top centre. To date he's been most inconsistent. He may come good, but to date he hasn't, whereas Walker is a proven performer and was a test rep at 19.

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
I dont think its just about his ability,his defensive issues or his persona & outside perception.
For me it's his value for money ,for the coin he is on he probably has averaged no more than 3-4 good games a year tops .Thats my opinion.
Should we also dump Turbo? He's played 18 games since the beginning of 2019. That's averaging 9 games a season for $1.1 million over the past two years. He earns at least two times more than Walker. We are paying Suli more than Walker apparently, and how many good games has he played. To me there is a secondary agenda here that seems more personal than professional

AASeaEagles

A bit harsh no? When fit and injury-free, Walker is a genuine weapon, with speed, footwork, and the balls to have a go! He's unpredictable and a real threat. He's actually getting paid unders, even with next year's increase. Value for $, we definitely won't find a better outside back in the comp. Let's hope he has better luck with injuries next season

AASeaEagles

Suli must be MOVED TO WING. He doesn't have the skillset for centre, and we desperately need to start our sets strongly-which is exactly what his strength is, just bend the line with speed and power. He's an absolute beast but we are using him incorrectly. For mine, right centre Walker, right wing Suli

CollaroyJo

Sorry mate disagree specially as Suli is out for 5 to 6 months and return is an unknown quantity. If walker can get back on the field before season end in his center position and shows his class we would be mad to let him go
True if Sul is out... but he has been so consistent and eating up a lot of dollars..... haven't had a good centre pair since Jamie and Mattai retired.

The better Robbo

Suli must be MOVED TO WING. He doesn't have the skillset for centre, and we desperately need to start our sets strongly-which is exactly what his strength is, just bend the line with speed and power. He's an absolute beast but we are using him incorrectly. For mine, right centre Walker, right wing Suli
Been saying this for 18 months
Walker Suli on right
Funa Saab left
Hoppa and Harper 1st choice back ups.

Batty

And I hope you are right because he is now costing us more than Walker with at best indifferent form and lack of pace, which has been seriously lacking in Manly's backline with what they have.

Manly has no chance of achieving a seriously competitive backline at this stage based on what we've seen without Walker, but if you are happy with that, so be it. Personally I dont think Suli will make it, what with Funa, Burbo, Harper and maybe even Hopa if he stays, but that combination is a year off yet I would say. There is promise, but at this stage its only promise.

What happens in the meantime. Suli and Parker again in the centres? Even if Walker slows down a little he's till the fastest we have in the centres. The thing is you seem to be basing your argument on a perception concerning 7 games in the centre after a long lay off, as opposed to a player who we only hope will be a top centre. To date he's been most inconsistent. He may come good, but to date he hasn't, whereas Walker is a proven performer and was a test rep at 19.
As I’ve said over and over, I don’t think Walker is worth $500k. As I’ve said before, he used to be a strike centre but post his injury - he has never been the same. No thanks. Time to move along.

I do think Suli is (pending his injury). He has the ability to change a game with his devastating power when hitting the line.

Each to their own.

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
As I’ve said over and over, I don’t think Walker is worth $500k. As I’ve said before, he used to be a strike centre but post his injury - he has never been the same. No thanks. Time to move along.

I do think Suli is (pending his injury). He has the ability to change a game with his devastating power when hitting the line.

Each to their own.

I accept what you are saying. And I dont agree

robbiea

Premium Member
Super Coach Member
Should we also dump Turbo? He's played 18 games since the beginning of 2019. That's averaging 9 games a season for $1.1 million over the past two years. He earns at least two times more than Walker. We are paying Suli more than Walker apparently, and how many good games has he played. To me there is a secondary agenda here that seems more personal than professional
Turbo's time out has only been from injuries playing his guts out .Walker has had a good deal of time off from stupidity.
Cant compare.

Latest posts

2020 Ladder

Team P W D L PD Pts
1 Panthers 19 17 1 1 257 35
2 Storm 19 16 0 3 266 32
3 Roosters 19 14 0 5 282 28
4 Eels 19 14 0 5 100 28
5 Raiders 19 13 0 6 118 26
6 Knights 19 11 1 7 77 23
7 Rabbitohs 19 11 0 8 117 22
8 Sharks 19 10 0 9 10 20