28 man squad in 2021

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I mentioned a couple weeks back they will be reducing squad numbers. Benji on NRL 360 has just said squads will be cut to 28 and that's why he is getting the flick.
Salary cap is meant to stay the same or slightly reduced but with a 28 man squad again. Definitely some hard decisions needed in the near future
for manly the issue will be which 2 to cut - there are a host of worthy candidates

Anyone know if we have any Choc Watmough types coming through the ranks? Chunky hole-running backrowers with great leg speed?
Panthers Liam Martin has really developed this year in that role, seems to make for a well balanced pack.
You describe Jamil Hopoate prior to his holiday. Hasn't been able to recapture this style in the games I've seen for the broncos. I wonder if he will ever be able to get back.

28 man squad for 2021
Trbojevic(Hopoate)
Johnston(Manulelua)
Funa(Parker)
Suli(Harper)
Saab
Foran
DCE(Phythian)
AFB(Saddler)
Smith(Dockar-Clay and Fainu)
Trbojevic(Titmuss)
Taupau
Olakau'atu(Gosiewski)
Sironen(Tuitavake)
----------
Cust(Koula)
Schuster(Trbojevic)
Keppie(Saunders)
Paseka(Fainu)
Add in Saab,Johnston,Foran,Cam Smith(looks disinterested and might like sticking it up Bellamy for a year,big FU to them)
Release Sipley,Boyle,Croker,Anderson,Walker,Taufua,Garrick from last year of contracts and don't re-sign Waddell,Williams,Levi,Elliot,Miski,Metcalf(Thompson already gone)
Even when factoring letting some veterans go you have to upgrade money to Funa,Gauca,Schuster,Paseka,Hoppa,Saddler,Fainu X2,Tuitavake,Koula,(Weekes as well?) not a lot of free money unless you are a good accountant.

Last edited:
28 man squad for 2021
Trbojevic(Hopoate)
Johnston(Manulelua)
Funa(Parker)
Suli(Harper)
Saab
Foran
DCE(Phythian)
AFB(Saddler)
Smith(Dockar-Clay and Fainu)
Trbojevic(Titmuss)
Taupau
Olakau'atu(Gosiewski)
Sironen(Tuitavake)
----------
Cust(Koula)
Schuster(Trbojevic)
Keppie(Saunders)
Paseka(Fainu)
Add in Saab,Johnston,Foran,Cam Smith(looks disinterested and might like sticking it up Bellamy for a year,big FU to them)
Release Sipley,Boyle,Croker,Anderson,Walker,Taufua,Garrick from last year of contracts and don't re-sign Waddell,Williams,Levi,Elliot,Miski,Metcalf(Thompson already gone)
Even when factoring letting some veterans go you have to upgrade money to Funa,Gauca,Schuster,Paseka,Hoppa,Saddler,Fainu X2,Tuitavake,Koula,(Weekes as well?) not a lot of free money unless you are a good accountant.
Or you are the Roosters they can get anyone they want!!

Walker is on good money this year so we are better served off loading him to free some cash and buy a Hiku /Katoa for less coin but still offer as much or more.

Walker is on good money this year, he is on REALLY good money next year. Offload him, he ain't worth it, on or off the field.
Problem is, unless someone wants to pick up the vast majority of that contract, we still pay him regardless.

@The better Robbo ... what this also does is make all our previous salary cap guesses obsolete ...

So we lose Thommo on say $400k ... but we no longer have to replace him .... or more correctly .. we lose 6 players we only have to replace them with 4 .... freeing up a bit of cash to go into the market

Now, this may or may not be offset by an equal reduction in the salary cap total ... or it could mean that players across the board will simply want more money .... interesting times ...

@The better Robbo ... what this also does is make all our previous salary cap guesses obsolete ...

So we lose Thommo on say $400k ... but we no longer have to replace him .... or more correctly .. we lose 6 players we only have to replace them with 4 .... freeing up a bit of cash to go into the market

Now, this may or may not be offset by an equal reduction in the salary cap total ... or it could mean that players across the board will simply want more money .... interesting times ...
Apparently salary cap will slightly go down but in theory it should still mean we have a little bit more cash than we previously would have.
Des knows this squad won't win a comp and I'm sure they're doing everything they can to tweak our squad to be a premiership threat.

The NRL may simply assume teams will let go of 2 of their lowest players on $150k ... and reduce the cap by $300k .... that would save the NRL $4.8m .... they will be happy with that ..

In other words no-one has any idea how it works and how our cap looks. So nothing has changed, let the speculation continue.

Where does Walker fit into our 2021 team.
He can play no-doubt but not sure where he plays.

2021:

Tom
Large fast winger - Alex Johnston
Funa
Walker
Large fast winger - JAC Vunivalu
Schuster
DCE
Marty
New hooker - Tom Starling
AFB
Siro
Haumole
Jake

Cust
Waddell
Keppie
Paseka

Contracted for 2021:
Garrick Boyle Croker Gosiewski Parker Harper Sipley Suli Fainu Tafua

Leaves one spot for either Hopoate if he resigns or some other person.

(Currently unsigned for 2020 - Williams Waddell Thompson Metcalf Levi Hopoate Elliott)

Development squad as it stands:
Anderson Titmuss Saddler SFainu and BTurbo all signed to 2021 - Miski unsigned post 2020

Useful resource:

Despite the dismal year I can see things improving, as long as we don't have such a disastrous injury run again and Des takes a few risks. The backline, if we can keep what we've got, looks encouraging. My backline at present reads

Turbo
Funa
Harper
Walker
Hopa/Suli/Burbo
Schuster
DCE

An off season will see some of these young kids coming back bigger and stronger, but also that's a fairly quick and clever backline. Burbo, if he comes good may be the fly in the ointment if he comes good. I'd like Cust as one half of the hooking position and back up half, though if this Fainu issue keeps going we may need to invest in a quality piece of furniture from another club. The forwards, with one or two additions eg Saddler, Titmus, look OK. Maybe a year off yet for Fainu Jnr. Its a finals team even higher if we can keep them on the field

Despite the dismal year I can see things improving, as long as we don't have such a disastrous injury run again and Des takes a few risks. The backline, if we can keep what we've got, looks encouraging. My backline at present reads

Turbo
Funa
Harper
Walker
Hopa/Suli/Burbo
Schuster
DCE

An off season will see some of these young kids coming back bigger and stronger, but also that's a fairly quick and clever backline. Burbo, if he comes good may be the fly in the ointment if he comes good. I'd like Cust as one half of the hooking position and back up half, though if this Fainu issue keeps going we may need to invest in a quality piece of furniture from another club. The forwards, with one or two additions eg Saddler, Titmus, look OK. Maybe a year off yet for Fainu Jnr. Its a finals team even higher if we can keep them on the field
Very good summation, in my opinion.
I'd be happy if the club moved Walker on, and I'd like to see how Miski and Anderson perform at NRL level before decisions are made about them. I doubt Burbo will be ready next season, but we still have Garrick as a winger and goal kicker.

Turbo
Funa
Harper
Walker
Hopa/Suli/Burbo
Schuster
DCE

Burbo will be either a centre on back rower, but definitely not a winger. Similar also with Suli, he's a centre, but definitely not a winger.

I think unless we sign a fast outside back, Garrick will be our right winger as he has pace, which is lacking in the others. I also don't have faith in DCE and Funa being a decent full time goal kicking option

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6