Croker - Honest opinions need apply

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
D

Deleted member 24974

I could handle a rookie who is raw, with speed and the ability to create something, but Croker is not that player. We are persisting with a guy who is not overly fast, not overly skilful, has no kicking game to speak of and is not busy organising.

Croker simply perches himself on an edge and runs second man plays or occasionally hits the edge runner and THAT IS IT! I have not seen him do anything in 5 games of first grade outside of taking one of two possible options...out the back or short and that is it. OK, he threw one pass back inside against the Eels...not good enough.

Hastings has one of the best kicking games in the NRL but he hasn't been given a chance to use it. He organises and looks confident. The reason DCE kicking on the second tackle today was because he knows that he has to do everything. He needs help.

Agree
Hastings is the better option in my opinion.
Tom Wright has real ability.If Manly wants to blood a young five eight I would go with Tom Wright.

Snake

Snake's Alive!
Agree
Hastings is the better option in my opinion.
Tom Wright has real ability.If Manly wants to blood a young five eight I would go with Tom Wright.
He is realistically only a centre or winger if he plays FG. He is a show pony with very ordinary last tackle options and runs around like a chook with no head. DCE needs someone with a strong kicking game and organisational skills to take the pressure of him...Hastings is our man!

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Barrett sees something good in Hastings but also sees what has held him back in the past. Maybe all this is part of Barrett's plan to bring Hastings to a point of delivering on his potential? Hastings has forced his way into the 17, after all.
As for Croker, jury is out. I like him but he sure looks battered.

Eagles2nv

DESpicable Manly
I have supported Croker to play the 6. He trained hard in the off season and Baz/Chez spoke highly of him. I learnt my lesson in '11 not to throw the new halve under a bus straight away (cough.. DCE).

But 5 games in, and he is not the player we need at 6. We need an organiser and a kicker that wins B2B sets. Hastings is showing all these qualities coming off the bench. Having planned for hooker, he has also become a better defender.

He is also a 80+% goal kicker which can take the load if chez is injured (cause our goal kicking issues seem redundant so far). Look at the 'riff, have cleary and baloney both strong goal kickers.

Croker is a good defender, and has a nice pass, making him a good utility option.

Bubbler

Reserve Grader
Croker has a nice pass? As my school rugby coach would say, his pass is a classic mungo pass. It is hard to find your mark passing like that - hence why we have seen his passes at critical times go behind the player.

I backed him and he has had a chance. I said after last week that i'd seen enough, now i;ve seen too much.
Sorry mate but you just don't have anything special about you at all and I hate to say it, but it's time someone else got a crack at it.
Halves NEED to be special.

Heisenberg

Reserve Grader
Your all acting like he played the ball facing the wrong way or something.... Oh..

Hastings and The Maniac to start against the Tigers. Simple.

• 👍
Reactions: R3

Mals

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I’ve supported Croker starting over Hastings until now but after yesterday’s performance it’s clear it’s time for a change in our halves. Hastings deserves some time in the 6 jersey and Croker can improve his game playing for Blacktown. I just hope Baz sees this as well because it took him way too long in 2016 to move Walker out of 6 jersey and into the centres.

I'm in no way blaming Croker for the loss but he actually offers nothing in the number 6 at the moment. With Chez doing all the kicking there is so much added pressure on him and everyone has worked it out that he's the only one kicking. Barrett cannot afford to keep playing Croker at 6 any longer if he wants to salvage something from this season.

manlywarringah

Bencher
Premium Member
As has been mentioned before, Barrett was very stubborn about moving Walker from 5/8 before when we all could see it wasn’t working. Something tells me he’ll be just as stubborn about Croker.

I hope he is made to sit out this week, it’ll be interesting to see if he then gives Hastings a go. If he doesn’t, he never will.

Croker only played half a game last year and we’ve thrown him in the deep end. He really needed To start the year in reserves to get his confidence up.

If Barrett puts Api at 5/8, that’ll do me! :wasntme:

HoldenV8

Journey Man
Croker has a nice pass? As my school rugby coach would say, his pass is a classic mungo pass. It is hard to find your mark passing like that - hence why we have seen his passes at critical times go behind the player.

His wind up to a pass would make Muhammad Ali proud. But the problem is that its so slow and telegraphed that the opposition know when he is going to pass and who is going to get it. Yesterday every time he did that the Tits defensive line zeroed in on the intended target and got them easily.

Look, I feel for the kid. He's literally been thrown in the deep end and told to swim. But I fear even the famed Manly lifeguards would have trouble rescuing him right now.

For the teams sake I hope Barrett comes to his senses soon because this is looking like Groundhog Day 2016. I keep expecting to see Bill Murray and Punxsutawney Phil.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
To be fair Croker has been given a good shot by Barrett.
Hastings has looked far better in his short spells and should be given the 6 for this weekend.
Croker has tried hard and if there are injuries can slot in and do a reasonable job.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
I have said from the beginning that I am not emotionally invested in who plays 5/8, and I am also pleased that Baz has given Croker every chance to succeed ... he is a good tough kid. ..... but ...

5 weeks is long enough to draw a line through his form .... needs more work in reggies.

manly al

First Grader
Barrett may not have much choice with Croker [ probably now not available ] and to give Hastings a shot at 6 now . Looks like that Hastings has knuckled down now and adopting a proper professional outlook . Of course a goal kicker as well , D C E is goal kicking O K at present but good also to have another option . Hopefully Hastings will be able to show what he is really capable of , never a better time for it to happen and for Manly "s sake now .

HoldenV8

Journey Man
I have this sinking feeling that if Croker is unavailable because of the 2 HIA thing, we're going to see Api in the halves and Hastings at dummy half.

I hope he proves me wrong, but Barrett does not seem willing to give Hastings a go at 5/8.

Two years ago when he was a rookie coach it took TB 10 rounds to finally admit what everyone else could see after just one round, that Dylan Walker was an out of position centre. I could forgive him for that because he was a rookie coach and he wanted it to work. But 2 years beyond that he has no excuse, he is no longer a rookie coach. Even allowing for the fact that it was just his 2nd ever first grade game, I and a lot of others said that we've got it wrong again with Croker at 5/8 after the Knights game.....and unfortunately at the end of Round 5 nothing has changed to make us think otherwise.

Last edited:

Michael Clare

Reserve Grader
This thread is for sure bringing out all the comedians on the forum.
Bozo, Mick you're cracking me up with this comedy gold.
Here's the deal ... give Hastings five games as five-eight and goal-kicker and if he fails I'll cut the comedy and admit I know stuff-all about the game, but I'm confident it'd work better than our current options.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
11 8 3 75 20
12 9 3 70 20
12 8 4 100 18
12 7 5 64 16
12 7 5 57 16
12 7 5 -37 16
12 6 5 36 15