Croker - Honest opinions need apply

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
For a kid (at least, compared to most of us in here lol), sometimes you can be a smart cookie @Turbo1 .

If you compare Walker and Croker as 5/8's....at least Dylan ran with the ball at speed and also kicked the ball occasionally. Croker has seemingly got nothing but decent defence going for him as a pivot.

Again I ask the question.....how on earth do you have someone with next to no kicking game as a first choice first grade 5/8 in today's game? That might work in a league like the South Aussie competition, but not in the elite NRL comp.

The game has changed from the days when halves like Des or Tooves rarely kicked the ball. But the difference is that they could do other things that more than made up for that (besides, they didn't need to kick because we had others like Cliffy, Rowdy and Matty Ridge to do the kicks). Both were great defenders, great runners of the ball and they knew how to set up their supports without having to kick. Croker doesn't even run the ball. In 5 games I am yet to see him run more than 5 metres (which with his speed compared to Walker is like slow motion). Even in the training run against the Eels he was only a pass off link player.

I agree and this raises real concerns with Barrett's judgment and eye for talent. Being a good trainer and fitting into the playing group are not the most essential qualities.

Very tough to blame Barrett for our 5/8 woes. We were forced to shed Green and were not allowed to pursue Moylen, Hodgison, Carney and Pearce.
Not many established 5/8s left, and even if they were the NRL would intervene.
If possible I'd make a play for Austin because he is playing reserve grade at Canberra, and was/is a good player.

Could be wrong but think that Barrett did not have the main influence or control in selecting the ist grade side in at least the early stages in season 2016 . Probably did not help that Walker was apparently keen to play 5 / 8 in early 2016 also . However selecting and persevering with Green and Brown as the starting back row and with Walker as the 5 / 8 was always going to be a problem for that early part of season 2016 regardless who or whom was mainly responsible for the team selection .

I'm sorry but it is inexcusable to ignore and waste a talent like Hastings. If Hastings is good enough to be on the bench then there is no reason why he can't be picked in the run on side as 5/8. He is a talented 5/8 with a good kicking game. When he has come on for us in first grade he has done very well. They signed him with Barrett's blessing for god's sake. Why look elsewhere when the solution is in your own backyard. At least give it try first! IMO Barrett is not blameless in our present 5/8 dilema.

Very tough to blame Barrett for our 5/8 woes. We were forced to shed Green and were not allowed to pursue Moylen, Hodgison, Carney and Pearce.
Not many established 5/8s left, and even if they were the NRL would intervene.
If possible I'd make a play for Austin because he is playing reserve grade at Canberra, and was/is a good player.

Again though, is Austin the type we need? For all of his good points, we are kinda hamstrung by the fact that DCE needs a halves partner who can organise the attack because he just isn't capable of doing that himself. Is Austin an organiser or are they too similar types of players which wouldn't solve any of our problems.

Jackson Hastings has only once been named to start in the Manly halves.....and that was a rather interesting and ultimately very disappointing day.

Round 20, 2017.....vs St Merge at Wollongong.

With both Blake Green and Api Koroisau out injured, Baz named Hastings to play 5/8 and Cam Cullen to play hooker, and with Lewis Brown also out injured Joey Lussick was named on the bench. Then for whatever reason, right before kickoff we find that he has decided that Hastings would play hooker and Cullen at 5/8.

In the first half we looked like an absolute rabble in both attack and defence. They killed us and it was 30-0 by half time. Then at half time Baz takes Cullen off for Lussick and moves Hastings to pivot.

In the first 20 or so minutes of the second half we got it back to 30-22. We came alive and it wasn't luck that saw us score 22 unanswered points.....we actually looked a lot more organised and everyone knew what they were doing. Then Baz takes off Lussick, puts Cullen back on and Hastings was moved back to hooker.....and the final score blew out to 52-22 by the end.

Not the scoreline, but I fear something similar this weekend against the Tigpies. Even if Croker is on a HIA enforced week off and we do name Hastings at 5/8 and Api at hooker, history suggests that they'll swap positions at some point before kickoff on Sunday.

Again though, is Austin the type we need? For all of his good points, we are kinda hamstrung by the fact that DCE needs a halves partner who can organise the attack because he just isn't capable of doing that himself. Is Austin an organiser or are they too similar types of players which wouldn't solve any of our problems.

I think we could do a lot worse than Blake Austin,he is big for 5/8 fast enough,good defender in the main and a goal kicker as well isnt he and hopefully a bit on the cheap side seeing as he is playing reserves,whats not to like ? .
But I really think we should give Jacko a good go .I mean Jacko has not been given the go that Croker has so would be interesting to see how that would pan out (not that I am suggesting that he is the messiah,but as we know this is a game of inches and that extra kicking game and hi% goal kicking is invaluable,neither of which Croker posseses ) ,from all his tweets and SM he sounds like the nicest bloke ever .
Lastly re Croker I feel a bit sorry for the kid he really has been told to eat a s*** sandwhich and smile for the camera while doing it.He reminds me a bit of Liam Foran not overly fast,nor overly talented but a good backup in a squeeze,I think he needs time in reserves to hone his skills and get confidence.Having said that I am hoping that the next NSW SOO hooker (APi) plays hooker and that Jacko is given the keys to the 5/8 roll and really shows us what he can do , and that the pigs really put in this weekend ,if we can get over one of the NRLs deserved shining lights then that will steady the course for us and help to make up for losses against the shame of the league Souffs and the Titans ,two losses that I have found to be bitter, foul tasting losses of the most vomituous kind.

Last edited:
I agree in that croaker has shown next to nothing, he has to have something else to his game and he needs to get it out there. Madness moving api, there is obviously some fundamental reason why Hastings can't get a game at 5/8.. But it's time to try it.

And please God, don't sign Blake Austin. All he had is a dummy and step that no one has fallen for for two years. He gets no quality ball to his outside men and is 100% not the answer.

Last edited:
I think Croker was always on a hiding to nothing. He had to step in the breach and perform with:
  • only one 1st grade game under his belt
  • no real coaching for 18 months
  • historical serious injuries (must play a part on your mind)
He should have been honing his talents and gaining confidence in reserve grade not, the NRL. I think he may be a quality player but has a way to go to get there at this stage.

Hopefully Hastings can now be our number 6, where he should have been from game 1.

there is obviously some fundamental reason why Hastings can't get a game at 5/8..
At a guess - Hastings is being taught humility and patience.
The reason for persevering with him is because he does have some talent.
Meanwhile he has knuckled down and got fit, and has been practising defence in the middle of the ruck.
When Hastings does get a chance in the halves, Barrett wants to know for sure and certain that he'll be ready*

*merely my guess, I haven't spoken to Baz about this ;)

Meanwhile he has knuckled down and got fit, and has been practising defence in the middle of the ruck.
When Hastings does get a chance in the halves, Barrett wants to know for sure and certain that he'll be ready*

I think that's probably close to the answer. But he either had way too much to learn or Barrett is now holding on too long. The season can be defined by coaches selections or
Non selections. It kinda needs to happen now if it is a plan.

Surely if Croker had more strings to his bow we would have seen at least a glimmer by now.

There was an indication of this during the Parramatta game after he setup the try with the dribble into the in-goal and was straight away put back on the bench.

You could see the disappointment in Jackson's face as if to say "what the f^&k--- i'm playing well why was i replaced".(came across as "let's see how he reacts to this situation, if he loses it over the next week shows there is no growth/maturity/patience in his development)

Im willing to give croker another game. We play better at brookie anyways. But i agree that hastings needs more time . He comes on and next minute is gone again.

I agree in that croaker has shown next to nothing, he has to have something else to his game and he needs to get it out there. Madness moving api, there is obviously some fundamental reason why Hastings can't get a game at 5/8.. But it's time to try it.

And please God, don't sign Blake Austin. All he had is a dummy and step that no one has fallen for for two years. He gets no quality ball to his outside men and is 100% not the answer.
He scored a try with a dummy and a step against our Manly Workers team at Brookie, just two weeks ago.
He has now been promoted to first grade.

He scored a try with a dummy and a step against our Manly Workers team at Brookie, just two weeks ago.
He has now been promoted to first grade.

So he can score a try against our second grade and only wants 700 000 k + for a chance to maybe do the same for us?

SIGN THAT MAN UP!

He also only got called up because a no name player in Sam Williams got injured and was and still would be keeping him out of first grade had he not been injured.

Blake green is just about the most 1 dimensional playmaker out there... He is not the answer.

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11
10 4 6 15 10