[Resurrected] Zac Saddler

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I saw that his PREVIOUS profile, from the Bulldogs website, had him at 111kg. But having said that, he was only listed on there at 190cm, and he is clearly much taller than that. so, if we combine the two, we can deduce that he is:
  • around 200cm tall
  • over 110kg
  • a big unit!
The Who spoke to him at Mudgee and Saddler confirmed that he is 197cm tall and 110kgs, so your weren't far off.

He does not lack enthusiasm. Can't expect too much of him first time out in the big league though.
Paseka Keppie and Sipley will all need to step up their minutes significantly if we are to cover the loss of our 2 big guns up front.
Go Zac!
Mate it’s strange how only a few weeks ago people were calling for Marty to not be re-signed & was surplus to requirement........how things change. Wonder what they’re thinking now!

Has anyone maybe thought Des didn't immediately bring any of our younger blokes like Schuster, Olakau'atu, Saddler etc. into the team at the start of this season because they hadn't played competitive footy since 2019?

Injuries may have forced his hand but I can understand him wanting these guys to get some games with BWSE under their belts before bringing them into first grade.

As it is, Schuster's played 7 out of 8 games, Keppie 7 of 8, Olakau'atu 3 of the 4 he was available for due to injury & Sipley 5.

The only one I would accuse Des of dragging his feet on is Harper, who has played 4 games, who I think should have been brought in 2 games earlier & not just when Suli got injured.

Perhaps that was down to a combination of Des' renowned loyalty but the rest I think were on the cusp of being brought in anyway.

Has anyone maybe thought Des didn't immediately bring any of our younger blokes like Schuster, Olakau'atu, Saddler etc. into the team at the start of this season because they hadn't played competitive footy since 2019?

Injuries may have forced his hand but I can understand him wanting these guys to get some games with BWSE under their belts before bringing them into first grade.

As it is, Schuster's played 7 out of 8 games, Keppie 7 of 8, Olakau'atu 3 of the 4 he was available for due to injury & Sipley 5.

The only one I would accuse Des of dragging his feet on is Harper, who has played 4 games, who I think should have been brought in 2 games earlier & not just when Suli got injured.

Perhaps that was down to a combination of Des' renowned loyalty but the rest I think were on the cusp of being brought in anyway.
I guess we’ll find out when Suli, Siro, and Walker are all fit if Harper and Guac hold their spots.

Agree. The coaching squad know far better than any here who is ready, and when. Sure, injuries forced his hand but I see no evidence that anyone promoted was REALLY ready for FG beforehand.
It could be argued that Schuster was always ready... but caution is prudent when dealing with such a potential superstar. If anyone thinks Des did not know what he has on his hands has rocks in their head.
I totally agree with how he has handled ALL of our up-and-comers, including Guac, Sipley, Saddler and young Hoppa.
Horse before the cart.

Dont agree

It did not stop other coaches from other clubs successfully bringing up younger players

NRL players are not made from plasticine @47MVEagle

Also Des should be loyal to all 30 of his players and not just 17 of them

Yeh nah. Des made a series of selection errors earlier this season. He knows it. We know it. There is no point in rehashing it all again, or rewriting the history of it either. We are where we are, and I hope we (he) doesn't go back to where we were because of his renowned stubbornness and misguided loyalty. Having said that I think he is doing a great job at the moment. Long may it continue.

Good news, Zac has been promoted from a silhouette to a photo on the Sea Eagles site.
Although they still have him at 91kg
And tagged a secondrower but in the detail section describe him several times as a prop
Oh well, baby steps :)
1620249892481.png

Hate to burst bubbles, but Saddler seems more a direct punch and will be more used as a middle.
Has good energy and can handle the contact, but from games I've seen him does not have the mobility as an edge forwards and for his style of play, will likely only add more size and power to frame and be a very good middle.
This being said, he would rank as an agile middle forward or an edge with little agility....
Also the way I see it based on recent form, it's the best option for this current Manly side to keep Shu and Guoc as the key edge forwards to build long minutes as Schu already does....

Hate to burst bubbles, but Saddler seems more a direct punch and will be more used as a middle.
Has good energy and can handle the contact, but from games I've seen him does not have the mobility as an edge forwards and for his style of play, will likely only add more size and power to frame and be a very good middle.
This being said, he would rank as an agile middle forward or an edge with little agility....
Also the way I see it based on recent form, it's the best option for this current Manly side to keep Shu and Guoc as the key edge forwards to build long minutes as Schu already does....
He does score a few tries; more than that of most props.

Dont agree

It did not stop other coaches from other clubs successfully bringing up younger players

NRL players are not made from plasticine @47MVEagle

Also Des should be loyal to all 30 of his players and not just 17 of them
Schuster debuted towards the end of last year, looked the goods but was injured 65 minutes into the game which sidelined him for the rest of the season i.e. he was unavailable for selection for the rest of the season.

Hoppa was raved about as being our saviour so Des played him after (no doubt) plenty of pressure from the media, his father & fans.

He was a dud.

Des knew (& still knows) what he was doing.

Last edited:
Schuster debuted towards the end of last year, looked the goods but was injured 65 minutes into the ganecwhicjh sidelines him for the rest of the season i.e. he was unavailable for selection for the rest of the season.

Hoppa was raved about as being our saviour so Des played him after (no doubt) plenty of pressure from the media, his father & fans.

He was a dud.

Des knew (& still knows) what he was doing.
You can lead a horse to water - but...

I did question why Olakau'atu never got a run last year but can only assume there was a legit reason as Funa & the aforementioned Schuster & Hoppa both debuted.

Tof was still on the road back from his broken leg.

No reserve grade comp last year due to COVID meant no game time for our younger players so the risk of injury was greatly increased & we saw the result in Schuster.

I did question why Olakau'atu never got a run last year but can only assume there was a legit reason as Funa & the aforementioned Schuster & Hoppa both debuted.

Tof was still on the road back from his broken leg.

No reserve grade comp last year due to COVID meant no game time for our younger players so the risk of injury was greatly increased & we saw the result in Schuster.
Covid and no NSW Cup. Hmmm - I don't understand how people fail to comprehend the significance.

He does score a few tries; more than that of most props.
Watching the Blacktown games, the tries are crash balls and unders lines that are middle based 4 pointers....Andrew Fifita used to score a few 50kg ago too as do a few other more mobile front rowers, who will run those Powerful tight lines in the red zone dropping under or off a flat drive on the line, attributes suitable to Saddler.
He will have this ability as an agile middle forward, whereas he would be rated quite slow and not agile as an edge forward at NRL level....who knows with a few out injured, just my opinion of his abilities and where suitable....

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4