Worst call in rugby league history ??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Could someone please explain how is it that in AFL where the ball is in play all over a bigger field, that the after Grand final discussion is about the game and not the refs/umpire fark ups. Yet in the NRL where the play is essentially played under the referees arse so many stuff ups happen. Are we to assume that the our officials are so farking dumb that they don't know or understand the rules? I am not saying that AFL officials are perfect but there appears to be less controversy in their game than ours. Andrew Webster in the Sydney Morning Herald said that when he ran into Beattie he stated "what a fantastic game" when was told about the 6 again fark up he said "what 6 again he did not see it" Yet today he stated that the ref had made the right decision????? Talk about covering each others arse. But don't worry folks the NRL will ratify the 2019 Grand Final fark up by having another fark up in 2020 Grand final so that Canberra if in the Grand final will win. Watch how Canberra will get all the 50/50 calls and how much good luck they will get in 2020. I am not a betting man but I will place $100.00 bet that Canberra will win the premiership in 2020 there will have to be a monumental fark up of Titan 2019 standards by Canberra not to be in the Grand Final. God help who ever faces the Raiders because the Officials and the NRL will not help them.
Its like telling your star halfback to do x y and z during the game and control his actions rather than letting their natural instincts take over. The refs are being over coached and the rules are ‘moving goal posts’. No wonder they are second guessing themselves and lack confidence or convinction. Bill Harrigan played to his own drum like him or not and every team got the sh*t end of the stick on occasions but he was consistent which is respectable.

2010 grand final. The Dragons get given one try after Morris steps half a metre over the sideline and another after a blatant push in the back. It’s hard to pick one particular dud call in 2013 that was worse than either of these, and these two were no where near as bad as the dud call last night. 2013 was an avalanche of bad and biased calls that eventually just became too much for the boys to dig their way out from under.
You're right, 2013 was an avalanche of bad calls but it was the call they didn't make (blatant forward pass) that helped finish us off...

I can't understand the certainty with which some people claim that the correct ruling was made. How can anyone know whether it touched Tedesco or not ? Sutton was a fair distance away and had no better view of it than Cummins. The original call should have stood whether it was right or wrong.

If the Raiders had any brains, (big IF, I know) they would have had a few cracks at them, then slotted the field goal. At 9-8, the whole mentality with which both sides are playing changes. The pressure is right on Easts. Especially if the Raiders complete their next set and pin the Rorters down near their own line.

How can anyone know whether it touched Tedesco or not ?
I've seen replays from various angles, showing the ball rebounded off the neck/shoulder of the Raiders player with no possibility of contact with Tedesco at all. During the game, the camera angle was not clear. However, I think Cummins was in a worse viewing position than the touch judge or whoever corrected his call.

I've seen replays from various angles, showing the ball rebounded off the neck/shoulder of the Raiders player with no possibility of contact with Tedesco at all. During the game, the camera angle was not clear. However, I think Cummins was in a worse viewing position than the touch judge or whoever corrected his call.
People would live with that being a 50/50 call, sh*t like that always happens. It’s the second ‘illegal’ call which is what the NRL are dancing around, making it literally the worst call ever. Cant remember another illegal call ever being made i can remember, wrong calls yes, even accidental 7 tackles which can be put down to a loss in concentration, but changing a decision during live play... well it will taint this GF for rorters for ever, might as well add an asterisk

Cant remember another illegal call ever being made i can remember,
I remember seeing a similar call, i.e. 'six again' & then changed to 'last tackle', in a club game in the last year or so, but can't remember exactly which game (Sea Eagles not involved). As discussed in this thread, there should be a more equitable way of redressing such a mistake. But, if play was recalled to the location of mistake, it would reduce spontaneity for the attacking side & give the defensive side a chance to reset. Also, what to do - have a sixth play the ball? Hard to know what is the answer.

It was unfortunate there was such a glaring referee's mistake in a grand final, and, in this instance, I think discontent about the call was amplified due to the Roosters scoring in the next set.

1995 Bulldogs score on the 7th tackle
But that was last century :)

While sadly true, unfortunately that try didn't cost us the Grand Final. After the season we'd had where we only lost two games all year, including a 26-0 win over the Dogs at Parramatta Stadium in Round 9 during the middle of our 15 game winning streak.....we went into the GF with the attitude of we only had to turn up to get the Winfield Cup. Remember, the Dogs had only finished 6th and no team at that stage had won from any lower than 4th (1989). Form said we should have won.

However we just didn't turn up that day. Even without Rod Silva's 7th tackle try, they still scored twice and our only score came from two Matthew Ridge penalty goals. I'll admit I haven't watched that game or the highlights since that day (too painful, just like 1997), but I honestly don't recall that we even had many chances to score and the ones we did have we just didn't take.

The good thing was we learned our lesson in 1996.

As for the worst decision I've seen.....The non-call on the forward pass from Maloney in 2013 with Hayne right in bloody line with it is definitely hard to top, though last night's comes pretty damn close. Funny which team benefited both times isn't it.....

I was at the game and it was an epic game and atmosphere. Its a shame the game has been overshadowed by a referee again. I think if the Raiders won that game it would have went down as an absolute classic but having thr Roosters win again and the way they won it undone such a great game. Raiders had so many half chances and just couldn't put the final nail in the coffin. I think the leilua flick pass that was ruled forward was a shocker too, it looked pretty line ball to me and could quite easily have won the Raiders the game. I think Manly and Raiders are 2 teams on the way up and could see us play eachother in the GF next year.

Replays actually showed that they got the Leilua forward pass call right. The sad thing is had he actually passed in the first place instead of throwing a dummy, Rapana would likely have scored. Tupou had already committed to tackling Leilua and (I think) Mitchell had committed to the same thing. And no other Chook was close enough to stop Rapana from there.

Could someone please explain how is it that in AFL where the ball is in play all over a bigger field, that the after Grand final discussion is about the game and not the refs/umpire fark ups. Yet in the NRL where the play is essentially played under the referees arse so many stuff ups happen. Are we to assume that the our officials are so farking dumb that they don't know or understand the rules? I am not saying that AFL officials are perfect but there appears to be less controversy in their game than ours. Andrew Webster in the Sydney Morning Herald said that when he ran into Beattie he stated "what a fantastic game" when was told about the 6 again fark up he said "what 6 again he did not see it" Yet today he stated that the ref had made the right decision????? Talk about covering each others arse. But don't worry folks the NRL will ratify the 2019 Grand Final fark up by having another fark up in 2020 Grand final so that Canberra if in the Grand final will win. Watch how Canberra will get all the 50/50 calls and how much good luck they will get in 2020. I am not a betting man but I will place $100.00 bet that Canberra will win the premiership in 2020 there will have to be a monumental fark up of Titan 2019 standards by Canberra not to be in the Grand Final. God help who ever faces the Raiders because the Officials and the NRL will not help them.
I put it down to a couple of things, with regards to your question about how the AFL GF was controversy free etc...

1: It’s a style of game that is less able to be manipulated by the officials in the way that the NRL is. If one team is “on”, and the other team having a shocker, they simply can’t swing the momentum via the simple methods they’ve created in our game. Some leg up penalties, leniency in the ruck and 10m rule, anything 50/50 being ruled in favour of whichever team is scripted to win... to coin a phrase, “they’ve been doing it all year sir”...

Todd and his goons have written into the rules grey areas that make these methods both easy to apply and easy to defend, with enough latitude available to them so that they can always justify the on field bungles... they even have the gall to victim blame, as Annesley did when he told Dessie “tell your players to stop giving away penalties”... If the mistake is indefensible beyond their ability to defend, the ref gets a slap on the wrist and week in reggies and they STILL get the result they wanted.

2: The AFL seems to be run in a relatively professional manner by people who have the health and positivity of the game as their main goal. They’ve got a product that appeals to their audience (as do we) and they promote it well (which we don’t). The half assed journalists that cover the NRL are such petty, bitter and agenda driven creatures that they spend more time desperately trying to attack, destabilise and belittle the teams they dislike. They allow their egos to spin anything subjectively into some form of snipe at a club or player, and collectively do far more damage than good for the image of the game. It’s amateurish and boorish, and a millstone around the future of the game.

Clean up a few areas, stop the manipulation of the contest, use the media to positively promote the game and players, bring back the consistency in the MRC and game day officials, and give the fans the hope that their team can win the competition, rather than the sad certainty that the chosen few will be armchaired into contention at the expense of their own team.

People (your clients!) are becoming disillusioned with the game, and turning away in droves. Lose the passionate fans and the game dies. Simple.

Also... I hope I’m not alone in feeling slightly smug that the biggest game of the season was arguably decided by a clownish bungle of enormous proportions, in a way that highlights their incompetence eloquently, against a team that (unlike us in 2013) has a huge groundswell of bandwagon fans blowing up DELUXE about...

It’s a delicious irony that somehow sits well with my deeply cynical soul!!

I remember seeing a similar call, i.e. 'six again' & then changed to 'last tackle', in a club game in the last year or so, but can't remember exactly which game (Sea Eagles not involved). As discussed in this thread, there should be a more equitable way of redressing such a mistake. But, if play was recalled to the location of mistake, it would reduce spontaneity for the attacking side & give the defensive side a chance to reset. Also, what to do - have a sixth play the ball? Hard to know what is the answer.

It was unfortunate there was such a glaring referee's mistake in a grand final, and, in this instance, I think discontent about the call was amplified due to the Roosters scoring in the next set.

Had they not scored it wouldn’t be as big a deal as it is.

Yup. I posted that in the GF thread, albeit in a much more sultry and sexaaaay way.
I was going for the “I’m not biased but you damn well know how I feel” type of delivery favoured by the sanctimonious pricks that are actually paid for this!

So they didn't have plenty of time attacking the line to be turned away every time?? They didn't take 2 instead of backing themselves when handed an unfair 13 on 12 advantage??
Raiders had chance upon chance to win that game , but let's sit here and cry foul over 1 call...

yes the raiders had a chance but so did the roosters and couldn't win it either without a horrendous debacle of a call that completely changed the game.

By your logic they should hand in their rings as they were not good enough to win it either.

I'm delighted that the appalling refereeing standard, and undeniable bias, that we've seen over the past five or six seasons is finally getting the blowtorch attention it deserves because it happened in a grand final.
For years we've been warning: "imagine if this (refereeing standard) happened when it really mattered..."
And now it has.
This is not about Canberra being dudded. In fact, if they had won, the refereeing would hardly have been mentioned.
We've seen Manly dudded often, but most people don't care because they don't want to see us succeed. However, when it aided the equally disliked Easts against the Canberra underdogs people suddenly took notice.
Hopefully this grand final shambles will bring about change.
1. A return to one referee. We've all seen that two refs don't work. If they did then why not four refs because that would logically be twice as good?
2. Minimising the influence of video refs. I'd like to get rid of them completely but I'll settle for no slow-mo reviews - every decision to be made it real time - and only being called on sparingly.
3. A crackdown on trainers

That's it for a start. I have plenty more but these three would be an important first step in returning RL to its glory days.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4