what are you really really sick of?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
manlyfan76 said:
What am I really sick of? How about how 4 out of the first 7 threads in the rugby leauge forum are not "rugby leauge" topics but are alowed to stay there and my thread about letting Napper back early from his baishment is swiftly moved to the general forum. It seems that it is definitely a case of two legs bad four legs good. We are so quick to judge some and turn a blind eye to others. Maybe we are all one eyed Manly fans after all.

Testify Brother!! I'm with ya!!!

manlyfan76 said:
What am I really sick of? How about how 4 out of the first 7 threads in the rugby leauge forum are not "rugby leauge" topics but are alowed to stay there and my thread about letting Napper back early from his bainishment is swiftly moved to the general forum. It seems that it is definitely a case of two legs bad four legs good. We are so quick to judge some and turn a blind eye to others. Maybe we are all one eyed Manly fans after all.

@manlyfan76,

I don't know about the rest of the moderators but I have already explained my reasoning as to why I haven't been moving threads lately. You can read it here:

http://www.silvertails.net/forum/Thread-what-are-you-really-really-sick-of?pid=544865#pid544865

Now, as you appear to be upset about the threads not being moved and are making out like we are biased for not moving threads that are unrelated to Rugby League but your thread about Napper being moved well fine, I will move them now to keep the peace.

Thread moved to Silvertails Soapbox forum due to this post:

http://www.silvertails.net/forum/Thread-what-are-you-really-really-sick-of?pid=546375#pid546375

Jethro said:
manlyfan76 said:
What am I really sick of? How about how 4 out of the first 7 threads in the rugby leauge forum are not "rugby leauge" topics but are alowed to stay there and my thread about letting Napper back early from his bainishment is swiftly moved to the general forum. It seems that it is definitely a case of two legs bad four legs good. We are so quick to judge some and turn a blind eye to others. Maybe we are all one eyed Manly fans after all.

@manlyfan76,

I don't know about the rest of the moderators but I have already explained my reasoning as to why I haven't been moving threads lately. You can read it here:

http://www.silvertails.net/forum/Thread-what-are-you-really-really-sick-of?pid=544865#pid544865

Now, as you appear to be upset about the threads not being moved and are making out like we are biased for not moving threads that are unrelated to Rugby League but your thread about Napper being moved well fine, I will move them now to keep the peace.

Jethro it just appears to me that when it comes to enforcement of the Silvertails.net terms of use, certain people get policed with a heavy hand and some don't seem to get policed at all. I may well be very wrong and maybe you moderators are too busy to provide consistent enforcement of content and I understand that volunteer work keeps the site rolling along but by having some rules for some of the time and other rules for other times it becoms hard for someone like me to know what rules to follow. Yes I know there is the terms of use and I have actually read them.

I love the site and fully appreciate the opportunity to come here and contribute. However...I fully agree with Manlyfan76 on this issue. Some people here post as if they have the run of the place. It must be hard for newbies to know what is acceptable and what is not. Everyone here has their own quirks and sense of humour, but some are just crude very, very often. It amazes me that they are here constantly.

I have been chipped in the past by mods for my language (rightly so). I have apologised to the mods and been more careful in future posts. I wonder if some people are warned and given the chance to clean up their act a little.....while some people are given some sort of "Bogan licence" to continue as they like.

manlyfan76 said:
Jethro said:
manlyfan76 said:

@manlyfan76,

Jethro it just appears to me that when it comes to enforcement of the Silvertails.net terms of use, certain people get policed with a heavy hand and some don't seem to get policed at all. I may well be very wrong and maybe you moderators are too busy to provide consistent enforcement of content and I understand that volunteer work keeps the site rolling along but by having some rules for some of the time and other rules for other times it becoms hard for someone like me to know what rules to follow. Yes I know there is the terms of use and I have actually read them.

Well I know that during the season, I probably over police but during the off-season, like I said in one of my earlier posts, I tend to relax the policing a bit. When I feel that I am starting to get a bit heavy handed during the season proper, I will take a break from the site for a few days and then start afresh.

As for your concerns, you have to remember that we (the moderators) are not here 24/7 keeping tabs on everyone's posts but there are some people that push the envelope with a lot of their comments and continuously flout the rules and there are only so many times that you can ask them not to do something before you start to get a bit heavy handed with them.

Speaking on behalf of myself only, most of the things that I jump on is the swearing. I normally let it slide except for the F & C words and their many derivatives that posters try to get away with using. Rather than banning, I will just edit or unapprove their posts.

I generally only ban trolls and spammers and I could be wrong but I think that the only regular who I may have banned in my time as a moderator may have been "Shane/The Eagle" but he has gone now permanently as far as I know (unless he is back under another pseudonym).

mozgrame said:
I love the site and fully appreciate the opportunity to come here and contribute. However...I fully agree with Manlyfan76 on this issue. Some people here post as if they have the run of the place. It must be hard for newbies to know what is acceptable and what is not. Everyone here has their own quirks and sense of humour, but some are just crude very, very often. It amazes me that they are here constantly.

I have been chipped in the past by mods for my language (rightly so). I have apologised to the mods and been more careful in future posts. I wonder if some people are warned and given the chance to clean up their act a little.....while some people are given some sort of "Bogan licence" to continue as they like.

Like I said in my reply to manlyfan76, you have to remember that we (the moderators) are not here 24/7 keeping tabs on everyone's posts but there are some people that push the envelope with a lot of their comments and continuously flout the rules and there are only so many times that you can ask them not to do something before you start to get a bit heavy handed with them.

If you feel that someone is getting a free run with their comments and you feel that there is a problem with their comment then remember, there is a report button on the menu at the bottom of the offending comment. If you click on that then one of us moderators can review it and take any appropriate action that may be necessary. Like I mentioned, we aren't moderating 24/7 so unless you report it then we may not see it. :)

My thread about the afl grand final got moved pretty quickly....I survived. And also my doc and the wee test was moved. - yup, still survived!

I don't mind a majority of threads being in the 'footy' forum as there isn't a million new threads per day so it's easier so see all what's going then clicking through on 2 different sub forums.

I can also see why a Christmas thread wishing everyone well, and TE's illness thread are allowed to remain in the footy forum but a thread on napper's was moved regardless of who started it. (Christmas thread moved...I know)

Mods temp suspended Napper. A thread calling for his re-instatement and hence questioning our voluntary mods decisions can and usually leads to bickering - hey looky here...case in point.

I doubt there was anything personal directed at the author of the napper thread but I subjectively agree if it gets moved to 1 section and TE's thread is allowed to stay in the footy thread. That said, it also wouldn't bug me if the napper thread stayed but I understand why the thread (not the wonderful author of it) was moved.

Sometimes I think there are threads that get posted on the footy forum should be treated like "ok, we've all seen it for a few days...off to the soapbox." Maybe it's the fact that threads that get moved out of the footy forum tend to 'die' and that upsets some?

The rare times threads are moved is probably done on a subjective case by case basis but certainly not author related. No probs on how this has been implemented by the voluntary mods.

I've typed far too much on what is essentially a 'first world problem' after all but I'm bored and you all needed my loonie's (Canadian dollar) worth!

edit: lol, after all that, I see TE's thread was moved. Sheesh relax mods!!!!! Don't get all picky because of a couple of wanna be rule sticklers!!!!!! :p

first world issue: threads being moved from the original topic to somewhere else
another first world issue: no NRL comp games for another couple of months
funny issue: globaleagle is onto the first world issue in his comment above = great minds globaleagle

I couldn't care less where threads are moved to, or if they remain. My question was, why are some people constantly allowed to post comments containing swearing, and some are not???

It is the off season, and it is as boring as hell (footy wise). Leave the threads where they are. I don't care.

And Jethro, I know all about the report button mate. But why should people become "snitches", just because a poster is far to immature to pull their head in a little?? If you mods don't notice these posts (and that is REALLY hard to believe) then I guess the forums are pretty much unmanned most of the time. I suppose that is why it took GE to point out the spam bot.

Please don't get me wrong. I think in general the site runs great. I just think that if I can choose to type the right thing most of the time (I do stuff up occasionally) then why can't everyone. The majority do, I know, but we all know who doesn't. Why is that poster seemingly regarded a lovable rogue, yet Napper was temp banned?

Ahh Geez, my pad's full. KE, can I borrow one of yours?? :p

globaleagle said:
Mods temp suspended Napper. A thread calling for his re-instatement and hence questioning our voluntary mods decisions can and usually leads to bickering - hey looky here...case in point.

There was no bickering regarding manlyfan76's complaint from me GE. I just moved the threads to keep the peace.

globaleagle said:
Sometimes I think there are threads that get posted on the footy forum should be treated like "ok, we've all seen it for a few days...off to the soapbox."

or more than often, the General Discussion forum but other than that, I don't think that I personally move threads straight away but may leave them for a day or two for the very reason that you have stated. There have been threads that I have closed or merged with another thread straight away because they are almost duplicates of the same subject and we do get people asking what happened to their thread. If I do go to merge a thread, the naming rights go to the person who first put the thread subject in place.

globaleagle said:
Maybe it's the fact that threads that get moved out of the footy forum tend to 'die' and that upsets some?

Hmmm, this could be true.

globaleagle said:
The rare times threads are moved is probably done on a subjective case by case basis but certainly not author related.

For me, you are correct as that is how I determine the thread movement.

I couldn't care less where threads are moved to, or if they remain. My question was, why are some people constantly allowed to post comments containing swearing, and some are not???

It is the off season, and it is as boring as hell (footy wise). Leave the threads where they are. I don't care.

And Jethro, I know all about the report button mate. But why should people become "snitches", just because a poster is far to immature to pull their head in a little?? If you mods don't notice these posts (and that is REALLY hard to believe) then I guess the forums are pretty much unmanned most of the time. I suppose that is why it took GE to point out the spam bot.

Please don't get me wrong. I think in general the site runs great. I just think that if I can choose to type the right thing most of the time (I do stuff up occasionally) then why can't everyone. The majority do, I know, but we all know who doesn't. Why is that poster seemingly regarded a lovable rogue, yet Napper was temp banned?

Ahh Geez, my pad's full. KE, can I borrow one of yours?? :p

mozgrame said:

Yes, I agree that you shouldn't have to use the report button and become "snitches" but it's a case of having to sometimes as yes, you can believe it, we moderators are not here constantly 24/7 monitoring posts and threads.

Here's a little history, when the Alternate Eagles/Silvertails site was first started, the forum was basically self moderating as people knew what was acceptable and what was not and if someone said something out of place then somebody else (which may or may not have been one of the very few moderators) would say something to that person and they would (as you have said) "pull their head in". There were no official warnings and nobody ever got banned.

Although we would like it to still be like that now, it became almost impossible to keep doing once the official MWSE forums closed down and we had a large influx of fellow Sea Eagle supporters join Silvertails to be able to keep in touch with one another and continue to talk about and discuss the team that we all love.

The upside of these new people joining was that there were many more topics to discuss and you would see a lot of different views to subjects other than our own views which may or may not change the way we think about things.

The downside of the increase of people is that there had to be more policing and more moderators added because the self moderation that was available before was no longer possible due to the increase of traffic of threads and posts.

It now takes a hell of a lot more time to read through them all now and that is time that we (as voluntary moderators) may or may not have which affects our ability to be able read through them all and pick up on these offending posts. This is where the report button comes in handy for us. It brings the post straight to the attention of any moderator that may be online at the time so that they can review and take any appropriate action against either the post or the person making the post.

mozgrame said:

I'm glad that you too think that in general, the site runs great and I also agree with you when you say "that if I can choose to type the right thing most of the time (I do stuff up occasionally) then why can't everyone. The majority do" but then you say "but we all know who doesn't. Why is that poster seemingly regarded a lovable rogue".

I have got no idea of who you are talking about as the "lovable rogue". Maybe if you PM me the person's username, I can keep an eye out and see for myself.

Cheers mate. I understand how stretched you guys must be during the season, but I just can't fathom how at this time of year, when there is very little to nothing happening, this lovable rogue is allowed to post whatever he likes, and no one sees it??. I know I sound like a whinger, but look at it from Napper's point of view. You guys deserve a break more so than anyone. Maybe you should deputize some others to help moderate the sight in a temporary role during holidays/busy times.

Any way mate, thanks for the reply, and that's enough said on the matter from my end. Enjoy the rest of the holidays mate, and have a ripper New Year!! :)

I would be guessing that the poster you are talking about may toss a bit of language in here and there but it isn't directed at other site users, whereas when Napper winds up he may direct it at other users so that may be the difference between the 2 cases ?

Still constant bad language on a pretty public sight. Doesn't reflect well on Dan, the site, or the Manly club that it associates itself with. The poster himself would no doubt say that the sort of rubbish he dishes up would be at home on a backwards, toothless, redneck, hillbilly Qld teams fan site. Not here where we are more educated, intellectual, suave and sophisticated. LOL!

Anyway, that'll me do for real this time.

What's the weather doing over there KE? Bloody hot here! Hovering around the low 40's. Plenty of beer, seafood and cold mangoes on the menu. If not for urinary purposes, I would stay in the pool all day.

Not cold but very wet ! Into day 3 of a possible 10 of rain that they are forecasting. Just sitting on my arse watching sport all day so it isnt bothering me at all lol

mozgrame said:
Still constant bad language on a pretty public sight. Doesn't reflect well on Dan, the site, or the Manly club that it associates itself with. The poster himself would no doubt say that the sort of rubbish he dishes up would be at home on a backwards, toothless, redneck, hillbilly Qld teams fan site. Not here where we are more educated, intellectual, suave and sophisticated. LOL!

What's the weather doing over there KE? Bloody hot here! Hovering around the low 40's. Plenty of beer, seafood and cold mangoes on the menu. If not for urinary purposes, I would stay in the pool all day.

Okay, going by your reply to KE, I have a fair idea now on who you are talking about and I have edited his posts for using the f-word many times but like KE said, his colourful language is not directed at any other user. I also agree with you that constant bad language (from not only this person) doesn't reflect well on the site or the Manly club that it associates itself with. I can't agree with you when you say that it reflects badly on Dan too as he has put guidelines in place by way of the Terms of Use and it is up to the individual to comply with when they post. He has also put in place a group of moderators to help out with post compliance with the Terms of Use guidelines.

I don't like to use the ban option unless the poster is either a troll or spammer so with swearing, unless it is the f-word or the c-word, I normally let it slide, but if it is one of those words, I would rather either edit or unapprove/delete their offending posts.

There used to be a "Moderator Edit" function that used to place a little box underneath the post that explained why the post was edited and it also used to send an automated PM to the person about their offending post being edited but that option is no longer available since the site was hacked earlier this year. I will just have to remember from now on to manually PM the person to ask them to tone down the swearing when I edit or unapprove their posts. :)

Keep in mind that sometimes I see spambots earlier than others as I'm on at 1am to 3am your time.

Plus I love using the report button as it makes me feel like a big man , police or green beret style! chk chk boom!

So look out spambots....you automated devils you!

Jethro said:
mozgrame said:

Okay, going by your reply to KE, I have a fair idea now on who you are talking about and I have edited his posts for using the f-word many times but like KE said, his colourful language is not directed at any other user. I also agree with you that constant bad language (from not only this person) doesn't reflect well on the site or the Manly club that it associates itself with. I can't agree with you when you say that it reflects badly on Dan too as he has put guidelines in place by way of the Terms of Use and it is up to the individual to comply with when they post. He has also put in place a group of moderators to help out with post compliance with the Terms of Use guidelines.

I don't like to use the ban option unless the poster is either a troll or spammer so with swearing, unless it is the f-word or the c-word, I normally let it slide, but if it is one of those words, I would rather either edit or unapprove/delete their offending posts.

There used to be a "Moderator Edit" function that used to place a little box underneath the post that explained why the post was edited and it also used to send an automated PM to the person about their offending post being edited but that option is no longer available since the site was hacked earlier this year. I will just have to remember from now on to manually PM the person to ask them to tone down the swearing when I edit or unapprove their posts. :)

Thanks Jethro. I'm all mellow about it now. Just to clarify, what I meant is that with Dan being the owner of the site, and with his guidelines and moderators in place, if someone continually refuses to follow the rules and posts untasteful language in every second post, well, sadly, the buck stops with Dan. He could be accused of not providing enough mods, or not being tough enough on the offender. (Hence the Napper ban, great, but should be across the board) At the end of the day, it is his site.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I love this site and I think you guys do the best you can. You yourself Jethro deserve a massive pat on the back, if for nothing else, for the time you have taken to listen to me whinge :) I think you are always fair in the way you conduct yourself on here and I thank you again for your responses.

One thing I would like from you....do you think you could move the "Sad news for me" thread by TE back to the main forum? If just for the remainder of the off season. It will get way more exposure there, and it is an important thread I feel.

I could start a poll on it if that would help! :p Haha!

Cheers Mate.

1522122_1426313787605192_538737672_n.jpg

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4