Way to fark a game Tommy

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
You can't blame turbo yeah he stuffed up there but what about taupau in the middle fmd or perrett losing it on the 1st on our 20 plus the rest it's like we want to lose so we won't have to play storm in Melbourne

Disappointing decision making on both passes, especially with our tails up, Tommy seems to make premeditated decisions often rather than play what he sees. I still don't see him as a natural ball playing fullback, he is a running fullback who needs a structure. If the structure falls down he can take wrong options, hopefully this ability will develop with experience. Definitely swung the momentum although the response from some of our senior members from that point was almost as disappointing.
Way too much premeditated attack that lacks any science behind it in the lead up tackles---- not creating a conducive environment for the play to work or take advantage of a flaw or weakness in defence.

Yes set plays are premeditated but apply it when the resulting lead up work/framework has been done---not because it hasn't been used yet.

Too much "lets put on the play now without a good reason to", "we know they come up and in so pass to the winger in autopilot mode", it is way too telegraphed and predictable and teams are looking for the intercept because the play will unfold no matter what.

One out go forward lacking numbers pushing up, not enough lateral put the defence in two minds go forward sets.

Team is playing like they are tanked for well over a month now, lacking player depth combined with complacency.

Tom needs to quit it with these ****ing long balls. He's laid 2-3 spot on and ****ed about 20. Every damn play he thinks the long pass is on.
Don't want to hold him back at all, he should use his skill but he needs to have better situational awareness and better predict when things are on.

Although yes his two intercept passes didn't help, I can't put the blame for yesterday's loss square on Tom's head. In the second half we had way too many arm grabbers in defence and our short kicking game at the line which for most of the season has been one of our greatest strengths went missing.

Then there was the cameo performance by the refs at the end with that last try where they ignored the obstruction and the forward pass (which hurt not only because of the end score but because one of Tommy's earlier passes was deemed forward when it wasn't and probably robbed us of a try). I wanted to reach through the screen and strangle Gould when he was going on about it being a fair try, and we all know why because it directly benefited his Panthers. Do you think if it was Cleary and not DCE that he would have been saying fair try? Nope, he'd have been screaming blue murder that it was a clear cut obstruction.

You could probably point the finger at a number of Manly players yesterday. Turbo was just one of 17 players out there in a Manly jumper.

Last edited:
Tom needs to quit it with these ****ing long balls. He's laid 2-3 spot on and ****ed about 20. Every damn play he thinks the long pass is on.
Don't want to hold him back at all, he should use his skill but he needs to have better situational awareness and better predict when things are on.

I agree ................I've seen some of those passes coming and i'm 16000 km away!!

I am assuming you our your mother during pregnancy have done a lot of drugs to be this stupid.

Triple J my ass, every time i accidentally end up there all I here is crap.

Marty's limp effort was commented about in the game day thread, go read that for a while, it's over 20 pages so will probably only take you 6 months.

Haha, I was doing drugs during my mothers pregnancy? Impressive.

Way too much premeditated attack that lacks any science behind it in the lead up tackles---- not creating a conducive environment for the play to work or take advantage of a flaw or weakness in defence.

Yes set plays are premeditated but apply it when the resulting lead up work/framework has been done---not because it hasn't been used yet.

Too much "lets put on the play now without a good reason to", "we know they come up and in so pass to the winger in autopilot mode", it is way too telegraphed and predictable and teams are looking for the intercept because the play will unfold no matter what.

One out go forward lacking numbers pushing up, not enough lateral put the defence in two minds go forward sets.

Team is playing like they are tanked for well over a month now, lacking player depth combined with complacency.
Who would you say is charged with setting the line speed in defence? Am I wrong in thinking there would be players in the middle on each side whose job that is?

I'm wondering because at stages our line speed was poor, the proliferation of attackers who hit our line and bounce off and go again, or get an offload, surely has something to do with our defenders being stationary at contact rather than coming forward?

I know little about the technical side of the modern game but from what I saw defence was our problem (again), not attack.

I blame Parker.................it's the NRL..................every team can be competitve on their day!
You have to expect tough games.

You've got a 2 point lead , 3 minutes to go, you don't drop the ball a metre out from your own line.

No f***ing excuse!

You hold on to that ball like it's the last beer on earth!!

You watched that whole game for 80mins and in your educated opinion ... Parker was the reason we lost ... fuk me!

Actually I think it was a strategy for Tom to be be more of a playmaker. The grubber that DCE scooped up was a role reversal.

Good tactics but the long floating cut out ball needs to used when the opposition don't expect it. The second one was like a double bluff.

Yeah he's still a superstar in my eyes - but his passing technique could use some work the way he rolls out those loopy passes when running at pace at the advantage they almost always float forward just because of the way he releases the ball. Yes technically that's not a 'forward' pass if it floats BUT it gives a bad impression & so it gets called forward by ref's too often. Looks an unnatural passer technically, but his vision is usually pretty good ( just not yesterday ).

On balance though he's due a bad game and he'll bounce back. Any team in the comp would love to have him and we are blessed. Just a blip.

Definitely inexperience, he's only young, will learn he doesn't need to do those kinds of plays when you're up by so much on the scoreboard.

Who would you say is charged with setting the line speed in defence? Am I wrong in thinking there would be players in the middle on each side whose job that is?

I'm wondering because at stages our line speed was poor, the proliferation of attackers who hit our line and bounce off and go again, or get an offload, surely has something to do with our defenders being stationary at contact rather than coming forward?

I know little about the technical side of the modern game but from what I saw defence was our problem (again), not attack.
I've always been a big believer in observing the energy levels of go forward combined with genuine energetic options pushing up on the lead runner, mixed with crisp flat lateral play will flow through with benefits in defence also.

Too often the simplistic view point of "defence wins games" is thrown about like it is the one and only indicator of "a good attitude" on the day.

If the tank is empty the enthusiasm and line speed drops, plus it is much easier to have good line speed and aggression when dominating field position, or have at the very least an even possession flow.

In saying that Manly's performances for a while now look like they are tanked, riddled with injuries combined with young players unable to sustain quality intensity for the entire season.

Co-ordinated energetic line speed with numbers quickly attached to the tackle ,strong upper body ball and all contact holding the player "up" and not peeling off the attacker too quickly is an art form.

Too many one on one tackles, individual aggression or individual good line speed, not working as a unit.

Looking to lay the blame on specific positional line speed markers be it centrally located or up and in outside defenders to determine overall line speed is not the issue.

Low energy levels, enthusiasm down after a long grind, depleted depth, players carrying injuries and a complacent comfortable attitude has been evident for quite some time now.----(was the reasons behind my "brace yourself" post before the Dragons and Storm games)

Low energy levels, enthusiasm down after a long grind, depleted depth, players carrying injuries and a complacent comfortable attitude has been evident for quite some time now.----(was the reasons behind my "brace yourself" post before the Dragons and Storm games)
I totally agree with all this but as for the rest, professional athletes are fit enough to get up off their line for most of a game and tend to get gassed in the latter stages of each half. Our line speed is off from the get go and I think a lot of it comes down to attitude. Attitude is learned just like any other skill and that's why Melbourne are so good. Cronk, Smith, Slater and co. use their will to win to drag the rest of the side along with them.

I totally agree with all this but as for the rest, professional athletes are fit enough to get up off their line for most of a game and tend to get gassed in the latter stages of each half. Our line speed is off from the get go and I think a lot of it comes down to attitude. Attitude is learned just like any other skill and that's why Melbourne are so good. Cronk, Smith, Slater and co. use their will to win to drag the rest of the side along with them.
Energy levels coming into games combined with injuries and complacency will show at the start of games also.

Plenty to play for this part of the season, more than enough short term reward incentives to be up from the start even without a mature leadership group.

Cronk,Smith, Slater keep a team from having big drops throughout the "entire" season, that is their main benefit.

Not dismissing what you are saying though and agree it would help to have such mature competitive players in our leadership ranks but i think in this instance there is more to it.

Melb have such good structures, good structures and belief systems hold up under pressure, much easier to slip back into the groove with such an autopilot well drilled squad.

One negative with Melb over the years though is they don't really ever have another gear to go to finals time, they show their best hand round after round and the only way to beat them finals time is for a team to find another gear "which normally doesn't happen at the right time".

Although yes his two intercept passes didn't help, I can't put the blame for yesterday's loss square on Tom's head. In the second half we had way too many arm grabbers in defence and our short kicking game at the line which for most of the season has been one of our greatest strengths went missing.

Then there was the cameo performance by the refs at the end with that last try where they ignored the obstruction and the forward pass (which hurt not only because of the end score but because one of Tommy's earlier passes was deemed forward when it wasn't and probably robbed us of a try). I wanted to reach through the screen and strangle Gould when he was going on about it being a fair try, and we all know why because it directly benefited his Panthers. Do you think if it was Cleary and not DCE that he would have been saying fair try? Nope, he'd have been screaming blue murder that it was a clear cut obstruction.

You could probably point the finger at a number of Manly players yesterday. Turbo was just one of 17 players out there in a Manly jumper.

This !!!!! Prophetic how Ivan Cleary before the game was saying one of their biggest issues was building pressure. How many times did we go to their line on the 6th and put through an ineffectual kick. No repeat set no pressure. I think Green was quoted as being #3 on the repeat set list ..... Between dce and green in the second half they didn't get it done. DCE had a great game .... Kicking just wasn't happening though.

You can't blame Tom .... If we didn't have players with the courage to try things we'd have the same attack as the Bulldogs. We'd be lost without him seriously .... So please use some judgement before crapping on one of the true shining lights of our club during times when we aren't seeing a lot coming from the end of the tunnel.

Lets just get behind the lads .... 26 games is a hard slog .... We've been up for a long time .... And now we're on the slide. This is Trent's big test as a coach ... because momentum and pressure are hard things to turn around.

This !!!!! Prophetic how Ivan Cleary before the game was saying one of their biggest issues was building pressure. How many times did we go to their line on the 6th and put through an ineffectual kick. No repeat set no pressure. I think Green was quoted as being #3 on the repeat set list ..... Between dce and green in the second half they didn't get it done. DCE had a great game .... Kicking just wasn't happening though.

You can't blame Tom .... If we didn't have players with the courage to try things we'd have the same attack as the Bulldogs. We'd be lost without him seriously .... So please use some judgement before crapping on one of the true shining lights of our club during times when we aren't seeing a lot coming from the end of the tunnel.

Lets just get behind the lads .... 26 games is a hard slog .... We've been up for a long time .... And now we're on the slide. This is Trent's big test as a coach ... because momentum and pressure are hard things to turn around.

It's a massive test for Baz and the team..........

There's a strong chance we could go from being favourites to win our last 4 and a top 4 spot maybe, to actually losing our last 4!

Bulldogs - they'll get up for a game against us, although this is the least likely...................we should beat them but its a danger game

Warriors - at home, they are always tough. They went bloody close at NIB, Manly came from behind to win

Panthers - they are running amok at the moment, probably could beat anyone on their day!

We are capable of winning all of the last 3 games. The problem is which Manly team will show. The one of recent will quite possibly beat themselves in any, and possibly all, of those games

Throwing an intercept pass didn't bother me too much, I chalked that up to inexperience.

Throwing the exact same intercept pass 5 minutes later pissed me right off. But I'd still take Turbo over any other fullback in the NRL. I just hope he doesn't keep doing it.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8