Us V Roosters Trial Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I really don't understand the resting of DCE when he is part of an entirely new halves combo which, surely, needs game time to mature.
Yet, up here in Bris on ch9 they are making a real big deal about Reynolds not playing any trials before the season starts.

D C E and Schuster have had a few games as a half "s pairing previously so can "t see it as a big deal and obviously there would be a valid reason for still resting D C E . Pre season training and simulated playing drills are pretty full on [ and not always good outcomes , a la Humphries ] so should not be an issue with familiarity . Looks like Cooper Johns is being groomed now for some serious half "s cover so a run at 7 this trial quite in order .
It'll be DCE runs one side while Schuster runs the other, like last season with Foz.

After playing every week last year between club and SOO ... and then a trip and playing at the world cup .... DCE needs to play a trial game like George Rose needs another meat pie.

I would say Seibs is far more interested in seeing how Cooper Johns goes at half if DCE does get injured ... just as he knows what Croker brings ... he wants to see how Gordie handles himself against top opposition ..

It'll be DCE runs one side while Schuster runs the other, like last season with Foz.
Certainly was a major change when the halfs and centres started playing or concentrating separately on one set specific side of the field . The days of inside and outside centre and the lock or 13 having a much different role for quite some time now . and the spine such a big deal these days , Guess there will always be some gradual evolving and wonder what the refereeing guidelines will be this season , probably more or less the same as last season

After playing every week last year between club and SOO ... and then a trip and playing at the world cup .... DCE needs to play a trial game like George Rose needs another meat pie.

I would say Seibs is far more interested in seeing how Cooper Johns goes at half if DCE does get injured ... just as he knows what Croker brings ... he wants to see how Gordie handles himself against top opposition ..
Yep. It will also force Schuster to be the dominant half for the game, which is also worth seeing. Let's see him control the team, not play as the junior partner.

In the trial whilst both halves did have one more predominant side there were many occasions where they moved around,wonder if it will happen more with our NRL side as well?
Maybe a different tactic under Flanagan?
Schuster feeding the big O and Koula close to the line would be my preference.

Yep. It will also force Schuster to be the dominant half for the game, which is also worth seeing. Let's see him control the team, not play as the junior partner.

Don't think that will happen ... could be wrong, but think John's has a dominant personality and mission to run things at half ..

Not saying the Shu won't be busting a gut to destroy Easts .. just that I think John's will control things.

In the trial whilst both halves did have one more predominant side there were many occasions where they moved around,wonder if it will happen more with our NRL side as well?
Maybe a different tactic under Flanagan?
Agreed ,our halves should be looking out for opportunities and at times can be both attacking on the same side .It is all about creating space and overlaps for Tom and the outside backs .

Johns went well because he didn't try to overplay his hand. He gave good service to those outside of him. I just hope the Schu focuses on putting players into gaps and doesn't try to overplay his hand.
Yes this is a concern, whilst he’s very talented , at times he can try to be a show pony.

There’s a time & place for that , the rest of the time it’s as you say.

I think he’ll be ok BUT it is a concern given he’s still got a young head on his shoulders.

I believe we have enough strike power to score points.. but it is DEFENCE that will lose us games.. Hopefully Seibs has instilled the right attitude and skills for defence.

The Fact is Feathered freind
When smart coaches learned how to shut down Tom they also shut down the rest of our attack
I hope Seibold can over come the one man Manly Tommy team mentality
We need to change our attitude in both attack and defence

Last edited:
Yes this is a concern, whilst he’s very talented , at times he can try to be a show pony.

There’s a time & place for that , the rest of the time it’s as you say.

I think he’ll be ok BUT it is a concern given he’s still got a young head on his shoulders.
Can't wait to see what unfolds!

I find it a bit off we are the massive underdogs on the betting line… sure they have a stronger squad on paper but I wouldn’t have thought 3 to 1 strong

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4