Top 29 Squad 2019

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Joel Thompson was added very late last year!!

The difference to that is they have named their top 29 ( 30 is added mid year), so unless it’s a player swap what we have is what we have.

I don't believe that the 29 plus 5 devel squad named is in any way binding mate.
It is really just a 34 man training squad. It is not an NRL requirement to name them.

Tomorrows NRL requirement to name our Top 24 players is!
The 24 named tomorrow are bound to being in our Top 29 come the first game next year.

The remaining 5 spots do not have to be filled from the 34 players named today.

Plenty of room left for shuffling.

Fainu for the utility. He is young, and a solid hooker. Api can always cover the halves if one of them goes down mid game.

Hodko was a baz signing and is past it. If we are building a squad for the future, fainu it is.

The winger spot is a big unknown. I'm thinking Des will potentially run with Suli or Parker given their FG experience (Elliot also an option given his 40 off games). But going forward young hoppa might be in the pipeline.

Suli and/or Parker / Taufua on our wings .... forget tries out wide. They scored less than anyone else in the league last season.

I'm glad people around the club (even Zorba) acknowledge this is our weakest point right now.

What I'd give to have a Michael Robertson or David Williams !! Jesus, I even think despite mistakes, Uate added a lot to our attack, because he was explosive and fast. Shame we didn't extend for a year or two.

Hate saying it, but I've never been a fan of Taufua. I just think he's:
1. A plodder
2. Slowest play the ball player in history
3. Mistake riddled
4. Slower than the Titanic ethic
5. Putrid under the high ball
6. Awful defensively (decision wise)
7. Just a lazy player

Unless this is fixed and the 2 & 5 are upgraded, we won't make the 8.

Think of the 4 best teams in the league, and look at their wingers. Guys like Tupou, Josh Ado-Carr and others.

Game after game last season , Parker and Suli were targetted because of their hands, lack of pace and mobility and decision making. Barrett knew it as well, but couldn't do anything about it.

I don't believe that the 29 plus 5 devel squad named is in any way binding mate.
It is really just a 34 man training squad. It is not an NRL requirement to name them.

Tomorrows NRL requirement to name our Top 24 players is!
The 24 named tomorrow are bound to being in our Top 29 come the first game next year.

The remaining 5 spots do not have to be filled from the 34 players named today.

Plenty of room left for shuffling.

Ah, I didn’t realise that!!

Suli and/or Parker / Taufua on our wings .... forget tries out wide. They scored less than anyone else in the league last season.

I'm glad people around the club (even Zorba) acknowledge this is our weakest point right now.

What I'd give to have a Michael Robertson or David Williams !! Jesus, I even think despite mistakes, Uate added a lot to our attack, because he was explosive and fast. Shame we didn't extend for a year or two.

1. A plodder
3. Mistake riddled
7. Just a lazy player

Think of the 4 best teams in the league, and look at their wingers. Guys like Tupou, Josh Ado-Carr and others.

Game after game last season , Parker and Suli were targetted because of their hands, lack of pace and mobility and decision making. Barrett knew it as well, but couldn't do anything about it.

Our weakest link, by a country mile!!

Without an evident cohesive gameplan they were never going to score many tries anyway. I trust that Des will have a plan for them and they will either shape up or ship out.

As for the rest of the squad, it is honestly not too bad. Good to see we have held into a lot of our 2017 Holden Cup final squad unlike in 2015.

Would like to see Amone in there. Albert Hopoate I think is recovering from an ACL injury so hopefully he will be ready for the pre-season. As noted we need to hold onto Josh Schuster but he is possibly another few years away.

Without an evident cohesive gameplan they were never going to score many tries anyway. I trust that Des will have a plan for them and they will either shape up or ship out.

As for the rest of the squad, it is honestly not too bad. Good to see we have held into a lot of our 2017 Holden Cup final squad unlike in 2015.

Would like to see Amone in there. Albert Hopoate I think is recovering from an ACL injury so hopefully he will be ready for the pre-season. As noted we need to hold onto Josh Schuster but he is possibly another few years away.

Yep, really relying on organic growth next season. It's amazing the likes of The Roosters win a Premiership, then Bring in Lamb, Hall, Crichton, Morris and others, THEN claim they are looking at top end players like Johnson or Munster to replace Cronk.

Like honestly, WTF.

We haven't acquired one single player that finished the season last year as an actual full time 1st grader. Elgey was promoted back to first grade in the event of injury at the Titans, but how does all this work?

People blame Hasler, but it's been half a decade since he's been here, so I don't buy that.

Frustrating. We don't have one quality winger in the entire club.

I think we are a little light on in the forwards. We've added garrick Elliott hoppa and kioa plus funa is a chance this yr...we only lost uate and j.wright, i think these young guns can and will compete for our wing spots, plenty of speed although inexperienced.
Our forwards however look maybe a prop short. Thoughts?

1. A plodder
3. Mistake riddled
7. Just a lazy player

You’re a classic mate... (not meant as an insult) one week you’ll post the exact same squad as a top four team... then we aren’t even top eight because our wingers are sh1t. I agree about Parker/Suli (the unfit version anyway) but Garrick, Funa, Hopoate etc are all still untested and may turn out to be very good. Jorge can definitely still play an important role if he remains fit. His finishing inside the opposition twenty has always been very good, and his metres out of our end are up near the best in the competition. Provided one of the young guys kicks on, we will have a variety of attacking threats in the backline. It has been reported all season (by the club) that we are unable to do much in the cap next year... and that doesn’t somehow magically change because we signed Des. I love how people suggest moving on players like Winterstein/Perrett, and Brown in the past. Like some club is going to just swoop in to take these guys off our hands. If Des fixes our defence, which was the worst in the competition, gets them playing to a game plan, and Donny whips them into shape, then there will be genuine reasons for optimism.

No point having superstar wingers if they don't get quality ball.
Quality ball comes from quality halves.
Last year we really only had one recognised half

You’re a classic mate... (not meant as an insult) one week you’ll post the exact same squad as a top four team... then we aren’t even top eight because our wingers are sh1t. I agree about Parker/Suli (the unfit version anyway) but Garrick, Funa, Hopoate etc are all still untested and may turn out to be very good. Jorge can definitely still play an important role if he remains fit. His finishing inside the opposition twenty has always been very good, and his metres out of our end are up near the best in the competition. Provided one of the young guys kicks on, we will have a variety of attacking threats in the backline. It has been reported all season (by the club) that we are unable to do much in the cap next year... and that doesn’t somehow magically change because we signed Des. I love how people suggest moving on players like Winterstein/Perrett, and Brown in the past. Like some club is going to just swoop in to take these guys off our hands. If Des fixes our defence, which was the worst in the competition, gets them playing to a game plan, and Donny whips them into shape, then there will be genuine reasons for optimism.

Besides our flanks, I absolutely do believe that. I felt with a fully fit Uate (even with his defensive lapse, and issues under a high ball), we were much stronger all round.

His synergy with Walker the season before this last was amazing .They were a real weapon out wide.

Then again, maybe that had something to do with Sironen and Green delivering quality ball.

Just opinion of course. Get that right (and I'm hoping we have other players able to step up), and I agree we are a force.

Leave it as it was, they'll continue to get targetted (like this past season), opposition teams can focus on driving and defending our middle in attack and defense and ride right over us (despite quality forwards) - maybe API stops that.

Two more things. I won't say anything else about it because people are defending Taufua like he's the second coming of Radradra, and will get the ****s.

Secondly, how good is it to be debating actual football again, rather than people and politics! So refreshing.

Besides our flanks, I absolutely do believe that. I felt with a fully fit Uate (even with his defensive lapse, and issues under a high ball), we were much stronger all round.

His synergy with Walker the season before this last was amazing .They were a real weapon out wide.

Then again, maybe that had something to do with Sironen and Green delivering quality ball.

Just opinion of course. Get that right (and I'm hoping we have other players able to step up), and I agree we are a force.

Leave it as it was, they'll continue to get targetted (like this past season), opposition teams can focus on driving and defending our middle in attack and defense and ride right over us (despite quality forwards) - maybe API stops that.

Two more things. I won't say anything else about it because people are defending Taufua like he's the second coming of Radradra, and will get the ****s.

Secondly, how good is it to be debating actual football again, rather than people and politics! So refreshing.
As long as Parker is nowhere near the wing.., and Barrett is absent from the coach’s box.. I’m starting the year of filled with optimism.

As long as Parker is nowhere near the wing.., and Barrett is absent from the coach’s box.. I’m starting the year of filled with optimism.

Hehehe, I guess. But what about Cartwright continuing his defensive coaching like last season? Good old Carty eh!

What's the Harbord Hilton going to do without Trent's and John's patronage?

No,.I have to admit , I'm more excited about this coming season than I have been for years. Upgraded my seat in The Jane Try Stand.

I'm excited. Will probably go to more than 2 games next season too. Expensive exercise that. Reserved seat for just 2 games.

I think we are a little light on in the forwards. We've added garrick Elliott hoppa and kioa plus funa is a chance this yr...we only lost uate and j.wright, i think these young guns can and will compete for our wing spots, plenty of speed although inexperienced.
Our forwards however look maybe a prop short. Thoughts?

Secondly, how good is it to be debating actual football again, rather than people and politics! So refreshing.[/QUOTE]

I can't see Jorge appearing regularly in a DES team list either. I expect he could go up a gear or 6 if gets moved on. He needs a change. Sometimes a change is actually best for both parties.

1. A plodder
3. Mistake riddled
7. Just a lazy player

As much as I like Jorge, I can't help but agree with you. Other than his early tackle hit ups, he is a liability just about every other facet of wing play.

But I do disagree that Barrett couldn't do anything about our right edge. Some simple changes would have made a lot of difference IMO.

Suli to the wing
Walker to centre
Hodkinson to 5/8

That would have eliminated the Parker problem, it would have seen Walks where he should have been all along and Hodko, while not ideal due to his knees slowing him down, would have gone a fair way to solving having no 5/8 which would have also helped Turbo because he could have been a running fullback rather than having to play mostly in the line as a play maker. And it would have put Suli on the wing where we could (somewhat) hide his defensive issues, while he actually wasn't too bad under a high ball.

There were definitely other options. Its not that Barrett couldn't do anything about it.....he either just didn't see it (which doesn't say much for him as a coach) or didn't care because he knew he wouldn't be here after this year.

01. Tom Trbojevic
02. XXXXXXXXX
03. Brian Kelly
04. Dylan Walker
05. Jade Anderson
06. Kane Elgey
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Marty Taupau
09. Apisai Koroisou
10. Addin Fonua-Blake
11. Joel Thompson
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Manase Fainu OR Trent Hodkinson
15. Kelepi Tanginoa
16. Taniela Paseka
17. Corey Waddell
XXXXXXXXXX = Rueben Garrick!

Good to see young Croker get a development contract rather than just thrown away ......to want to keep going he is one tough little bastard ...

Good to see Jade Anderson will be given another year to develop ......

Excited about Albert Hopoate ......
Albert Hopoate has been a consistent star performer through the grades and a good kid as well just like his brother William . Looks like an amazing prospect .He is hailed as the next Super Star so our future looks bright
We have the Turbo brothers , maybe we can also one day have the Hoppa brothers as well
More highlights Hoppa playing for NSW against QLD
https://www.facebook.com/nrl/videos...e-under-16s-origin-gamenrl/10154951846128074/

Last edited:
Yes I believe the list released is not an NRL requirement or binding, but we will see who out of the 29 will be named tomorrow as our Top 24. Des's choices will be interesting.

The Top 24 will be a part of our Top 30 for 2019. There will be 5 playing spots still available before the season starts and those players may come from the Top 34 list, outside it or new signings.

There will then be 5 players to be added in the first week of march, then 1 more before june 30.

Jade may well be a part of the Top 24 named tomorrow, added to our top 29 later or even our Top 30

I hope he and Amone are.
Are you saying that anyone named in the Top 24 today will definitely be at Manly in 2019. For eg. if Martin Taupau is named today, does that rule out him leaving the club during this off season?

1. A plodder
3. Mistake riddled
7. Just a lazy player

Barrett could have played Tom Wright in either position and not lost much as far a D goes but picked up a guy with speed and try scoring ability.
But no, stuck with the worst centre/wing pair in the nrl.

Thank christ TB is gone.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 4 5 19 10