Tooves on controversy corner

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I am speculating, but Toovey seemed very cock a hoop tonight, like he has had some good news.
Maybe the Des & Toovs show is back on the road?
Anyway, it’s looking likely that Barrett is on the way out.
Dessie and Toovey would rip it with our core squad. The loafers would be gone in a heart beat
Just put Tooves in charge of the purse strings out of the two and it's a goer...

It's all well and good to say Toovey and des got it done with the resources we have, we also had a once in a generation team.

I like that Trent is trying to put pressure on the owners to commit more funds/staff/resources to the club, think about recruitment for instance, off contract players go see all these well resourced clubs, then see what we have. It makes their decision for them, Except for journeymen or second chancer's which have made up a lot of our more recent recruitment.

I'm still not convinced Toovey was a great coach, he had a great squad and I think that contributed to his coaching record more than his ability as a coach. I'm not convinced on Barrett either, but that's who we got.

I don't know how this is all going to play out, but Toovey coaching again with the same resources from ten years ago isn't likely to drag us upto the level of the upper echelon of clubs.

I know this post will get disliked, but that's just how I see it. History/tradition can inhibit, just as easily as it can propel you forward
I agree. I think dez was a way superior coach.

I dont think the problem is with Trent. I think he can do a good job, the problem is with the owners who cant support the club, dont have enough money to inject into the club to build for the future, take 4 home games away every year and have an awful record in recent time with getting on with the staff. Baz should light a fire cracker up there arse.

I would love the club to be bought out by billionaire company who would let the football department run the club and the coach and provide them with what they need.

At least Tooves wouldn't have Peters white anting him every 5 minutes anymore. Plus, we'd be rid of Ferris and Cartwright.

On the flipside, that would mean Ciraldo is potentially being white anted as we speak by Gould (who loves the guy).

Which leads me to believe it won't be happening.

Too much money and focus over the years (i'm talking in a long history sense) has been spent on achieving on field success to the detriment of progressing forward in a professional all round way.

I agree with Tooves that it is not due to the lack of resources that is causing our current poor performances and more about the staff. At the same time Manly is not an attractive place to attract the best talent along with lacking the professional feel/atmosphere to attract the corporate dollar for long term financial stability or investment.

The way Manly plays the game has a very lacking attention to detail feel about it that would look good against semi professional fatigued teams of the 90's but not this day and age, and the look of the club still feels like it is stuck in 1992.

I mentioned years and years ago Manly should of bit the bullet and made a home at the SFS, all this BS about Manly supporters not willing to travel is total crap---with success the crowds will come(as seen in many of the big games) also due to the more central location attract supporters from other areas and bring in opposition supporters.

Now it is basically too late to entertain that option and the time has come for either the Penns to invest big time, make things happen with the development, or pass on the baton to a more influential, affluent, enthusiastic party/parties because time and patience is running out.

And Max owning the club

I'd take Hugh Jackman as owner to use his profile to get stadium upgrades and things. NRL already wants to use Jackman and Crowe to promote Round 1 against the bunnies in LA next year.
$$

Des? No thanks. He is a megalomaniac
Toovey? Not while ZtC is there to destabilise him at every turn. It would be a ****fight.

We are a basket case make no mistake. The Penns have overseen our biggest ever internally driven decline in our history. We should not be in this position, it would not have happened in any other time in our past. We have lost the fighting spirit and the divide between club and fans (sausage roll eaters) has never been bigger.

Tooves is my number 1 idol. I was a kid when he was playing. I used to adore the man as a player and now even more as a person.

He was the toughest bugger to ever play the game, period. He never ended a great career and published a book about himself, that's not he man he is, hes just like you and me but he got to play footy.

When I met him for the first time as our coach I was even more impressed with his sincerity and down to earthiness.

How a club legend was shafted in favour of a brand new coach from St Merge when he had a 58% win ratio is a blight on every single one of those who had a hand in his head rolling.

Not least to mention his initials are GT. Every great car ever made has some sort of GT branding. That's how good he is, even car manufacturers know it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6