Tom Wright

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Geoff Toovey (from memory) played his first FG game against the British Lions at the age of 17 I think.

It is simply not a case of size or talent ..... it is also very much a case of whether the player is mentally ready ... (2V was ready at 7yo) some are at 18, others aren't. Many don't debut til 22/23yo.

The coaching staff are the best placed to determine if he is ready ... not a meme saying if you are good enough or whatever.

Usually backs adapt to first grade quicker than forwards because of work load issues. They rely more on their natural gifts. That's why I think Tom Wright should adapt to first grade quicker than some of the young forwards we've bought. As said its about his commitment. He looks big (comparable is height to Tom T in the picture) looks strong and tough and has remarkable running skills. His defence is OK, not flash at this stage but no worse than most backs coming into first grade (think Kelly). That will improve if he's committed over the next 2 years. He's got the attributes to be top tier. Just depends on whether he wants it enough and how good Barrett is in teaching and motivating.

Geoff Toovey (from memory) played his first FG game against the British Lions at the age of 17 I think.

It is simply not a case of size or talent ..... it is also very much a case of whether the player is mentally ready ... (2V was ready at 7yo) some are at 18, others aren't. Many don't debut til 22/23yo.

The coaching staff are the best placed to determine if he is ready ... not a meme saying if you are good enough or whatever.

Went to that game at Brooky. When Tooves picked up the pommy prop Lee Crooks and upended him i thought we may have another Gem here. I wasn't wrong. They ran at him all night and he kept knocking them over.

Last edited:
Went to that game at Brooky. When Tooves picked up the pommy prop Lee Crooks and upended him i thought we may have another Gem him. I wasn't wrong. They all ran at him all night and he kept knocking them over.
I was at the game . Toovey physically looked like a primary school kid compared to every one else on the field but underneath that small frame of his there was unbelievable strength knocking down big, tough, pommy forwards . Toovey also was mentally tough and had that no fear factor . He was also very quick off the mark and very evasive . Pound for pound he was the greatest . The greatest of them all was off course the Incomparable Immortal Robert Fulton.
geoff-toovey-steve-menzies-bob-fulton-sea-eagles-800.jpg

Here i am counting down the days till kickoff, cant come quick enough!.. one question mark on our side is who fills in for Walker.
Havent seen Tom Wright live, but what i have seen of him on the box, dare i say it, there's a lot of a young Jarryd Hayne about him when he first burst onto the scene. Speed, strength, footwork, awareness.. throw him in!
Heres an obligatory 2017 youtube highlights vid:

Here i am counting down the days till kickoff, cant come quick enough!.. one question mark on our side is who fills in for Walker.
Havent seen Tom Wright live, but what i have seen of him on the box, dare i say it, there's a lot of a young Jarryd Hayne about him when he first burst onto the scene. Speed, strength, footwork, awareness.. throw him in!
Heres an obligatory 2017 youtube highlights vid:
Good to see a milenial who knows how to fend. Too many "speedsters" dont know the art of the fend.

I was a bit surprised to see Tom Wright named at 6 on the weekend. Did he get a run outside or played the whole game in the halves?

My only reservation about Wright has been involvement. No one else in the club has such a talent to make a break. He's a must to get into the team and his performance for Blacktown has convinced me he's ready for firsts. Yes he reminds of Hayne and Phil Blake, but he's a better defender than both of them and I suspect stronger than both. A waste of talent to keep him out. He'll win far more games for us than he'll lose them.

My only reservation about Wright has been involvement. No one else in the club has such a talent to make a break. He's a must to get into the team and his performance for Blacktown has convinced me he's ready for firsts. Yes he reminds of Hayne and Phil Blake, but he's a better defender than both of them and I suspect stronger than both. A waste of talent to keep him out. He'll win far more games for us than he'll lose them.
Tom Wright sent TB a message on Saturday night. Let’s hope it is not ignored because he is a class above average solid centres.

Baz played Parker on the wing when he was 19 ..... he has played Fainu in FG trials at 20 ...... he has thrown his hopes behind a 20yo rookie in Lachie ... Baz has proven he is not an ageist ...

Therefore an established fact is .. that Tom's age is NOT the reason why he has not had a call up yet. So, despite nonsense clichés about being old enough if your good enough ...

there has to be other reasons for giving Tom more time ...

Wonder who the Knights starting centres will be for the i st round match , Moga and Kenny - Dowell ? Two quite handy centres but in Tom Wright's case, with the adage if you are good enough maybe he will be considered .

Baz played Parker on the wing when he was 19 ..... he has played Fainu in FG trials at 20 ...... he has thrown his hopes behind a 20yo rookie in Lachie ... Baz has proven he is not an ageist ...

Therefore an established fact is .. that Tom's age is NOT the reason why he has not had a call up yet. So, despite nonsense clichés about being old enough if your good enough ...

Hey Woodsie, this was no criticism of Barrett. In fact I think he made the right call in not immediately getting Tom Wright into firsts. I thought his involvement was lacking. The comments are about the here and now. Wright has shown in the first trial that he is up to the task, despite having few opportunities. He apparently killed them for Blacktown. Using Matt Wright seemed sensible to me for stability. But it now seems obvious that Tom Wright is ready for the next step. Its my opinion and Barrett may have other issues and I certainly wouldnt suggest I know more than he does about the game and when a player should be brought in. I just think delaying this kid's first grade promotion, is wasting a potential gold mine in attack and defence.

SKD is a jumper grabber and Tom would have a picnic with the football in hand. Moga is strong and will be a good test for whoever marks him.

My opinion on this is with Matt Wright you know what you are going to get, an all rounder that’s pretty solid but nothing in any way “ X factor”.

With Tom Wright you don’t know exactly what you are going to get BUT he certainly has the “ X Factor” in spades.

I’d give him the shot , and if it doesn’t work out it’s one game!

In his two years in the 20 's Tom when he was not injured played at full back and 5 / 8 and only one or two games in the centres to my knowledge . So this may be a factor and with his general familiarity [ or lack of] in the centre position .

Hey Woodsie, this was no criticism of Barrett. In fact I think he made the right call in not immediately getting Tom Wright into firsts. I thought his involvement was lacking. The comments are about the here and now. Wright has shown in the first trial that he is up to the task, despite having few opportunities. He apparently killed them for Blacktown. Using Matt Wright seemed sensible to me for stability. But it now seems obvious that Tom Wright is ready for the next step. Its my opinion and Barrett may have other issues and I certainly wouldnt suggest I know more than he does about the game and when a player should be brought in. I just think delaying this kid's first grade promotion, is wasting a potential gold mine in attack and defence.

Sorry mate .... didn't mean to infer that you had criticised Baz .... you have always tempered your enthusiasm for Tom with measured argument ......

I was simply trying to make the point that if Baz doesn't see his age as a stumbling block ... it must either be facets of his game he wishes to see developed or (my theory) he doesn't think he is mentally ready .....

But, I don't know ... but he is a prodigious talent, and I can't see Baz holding him back for one week longer than he feels he needs to .....

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8