Todd Carney Combined Mega Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Did Todd Carney deserve to be sacked over his latest faux pas

• Yes

Votes: 53 39.6%
  • No

Votes: 76 56.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters

Not Paul Kent

Reserve Grader
Hull KR will not pursue their interest in Todd Carney, with the playmaker looking to make a long-awaited return to the NRL.

Robins head coach Tim Sheens made an enquiry about the former Salford Red Devils and Catalans Dragons man, but the half-back is targeting a move to the top Australian division, namely Manly Sea Eagles.

Carney moved to Queensland Cup side Northern Pride in the off-season with a view to returning to the NRL, a competition where he’s not played since being sacked by Cronulla Sharks in June 2014.

KR’s hunt for a half-back is not a priority at the moment, with Sheens stating the reports that appeared in Monday’s League Express were a ‘none-story’.

“We made an enquiry,” Sheens admitted to the Mail.

“His manager said he’s staying in Sydney and he’s looking at an NRL gig.

“That’s where it ended. It’s not really a story because it was nothing more than that”

Interesting comments from Sheens pretty much confirms Carney has an NRL gig lined up and mentions manly directly

nightster

The older I get the better I was
Premium Member
Tipping Member
jeez I hope Croker really delivers at five eight and it is no longer a big issue ... I hate it when we sign pricks we have all bagged ... hate seeing them in our colours

Last edited:

eaglebuzz

Bencher
I was fine with missing out on Pearce, I think he is a fraud posing as a rep quality halfback, and thick as two bricks.

I was fine with missing out on Hodkinson, since he's playing busted and past his prime.

But if this salary cap BS sees us miss out on Carney, then I hope we take the NRL to court. This crap is getting ridiculous.

Lurker reporting that Carney wants to play at Manly but Greenberg has said not until the salary cap issue is resolved. Sounds like a 'restriction of trade' scenario!! Perhaps Mr Penn could look at speaking to his Lawyers??
Perhaps that could be an argument given that he would play on minimum wage or even $1 in the first year..

Carney played on saturday for Northern Pride. No mention by the NRL.
Neil evans made his "imminent signing" claim on monday afternoon, then the NRL posted this article on wednesday morning.
4 days after his first game back in Oz.
Would the NRL have posted a story at all about Carney without some "interest" in him?
The pic used in the article has Carney in a Cronulla jersey so it doesn't look like someone was sent to cover his reincarnation and the story was a make up piece after the event and gleaned from outside sources.
After a contract found their desk?

Interesting timing, at the least.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/14/todd-carney-stars-in-northern-pride-cameo/

Last edited:

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Neil was very sure he’d signed BUT of course the NRL has to,

1) actually approve him playing again.

2) then allow Manly to spend that amount in their cap.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
Todd Carney should get one more go
Columnist
By Tim Gore, 16 Feb 2018 Tim Gore is a Roar Expert

As a hardcore Canberra Raiders supporter, these are words I never thought I’d type: give Todd Carney another go.

The club that gives him that chance will be greatly rewarded.

The tattooed boy from Goulburn has been on a long and ugly trip through the world of rugby league since he debuted for the Green Machine in 2004.

While tough love from his coaches early on was sadly lacking, Carney has no one to blame but himself.

Now 31, he is desperate for one more go in the NRL to try and claim the last flickers of light of a career that could have been great – if he could have just stayed off the grog.

He had to go from Canberra back in 2008. We wanted him to stay and become the star we knew he could be, however when CEO Don Furner Jr pulled the pin in late July of that year, it was the right thing to do.

I said as much to Furner before the following weekend’s game and told him he had my support.

“If we win today then I’m right, if we lose then I’m wrong,” Furner replied to me with little joy. He hadn’t wanted to do it either.

It was horrible watching Carney win the Dally M Medal with the Roosters in 2010, but his subsequent sacking from the club in 2011, followed by the bubbler incident in 2014 with the Sharks, suggested we’d been better off without him.

Carney would go down as a cautionary tale in the annals of rugby league. Talent wasted. Potential unrealised. A wild child who just couldn’t help himself.

However, my mind started to shift on this firmly held view a few months ago, when Raiders captain Jarrod Croker got married.

There, in the photos of the wedding party, behind Croker and his beautiful wife Brittney, was Todd Carney.

While Croker is four years Carney’s junior, the two are close mates – something I didn’t know until that point.

We’ve all heard the stories told about how recidivist miscreants like Carney are actually “a really good bloke who just gets a bit loose on the grog”. When I hear those tales I’ve always thought, “Yeah right. Sure they are…”

However, if a man of Croker’s calibre is prepared to openly vouch for Carney, then we should be listening. I certainly am.

I’ve met a lot of complete assholes in my two decades in the rugby league media. Toxic, misogynistic, bully-grubs who think that because they have status in the NRL, they can do as they like abound. So when you meet a good person – someone of real integrity – you notice quickly.

I’m fortunate to work with the not just the best human ever to lace up a boot, but also the best man I know in general, Alan Tongue. The likes of Hazem El Masri, Wayne Pearce, Brad Clyde, Billy Moore, Sia Soliola, Trent Merrin, Jason Nightingale, Tim Mannah, Ivan Cleary and Petero Civoneceva are really good humans too.

Add Jarrod Croker to that list. For a man of 27, he is overloaded with integrity. A lot of people questioned why when he was made captain of the Raiders, but not one person who knew him did. He’s the sort of guy you want setting the standards and direction of your team.

So if he says that Carney should get another go, then the idea must have merit.

Talking to Carney, you know that he is desperate for one last chance. He is all too aware of how badly he’s played his cards, but if he can get just one more go to show his wares, he is determined to get it right.

The NRL is likely to register any contract put before them (assuming conditions are met) too.

“I just need a club to give me a chance,” Carney told me.

And why not? Three years out of the NRL is a heavy penalty, especially when Matt Lodge is getting another chance.

Further, Russell Packer just this week was given co-captaincy of the Wests Tigers, in one of the greatest turnarounds I’ve ever seen.

Jailed for a violent assault, Packer has now earned a university degree, done community service work – voluntarily – and has improved so much as a human that aforementioned NRL good guy Ivan Cleary has placed him in a leadership position.

If we can allow Lodge and Packer – after their violent crimes – to have another chance and they become better humans because of it, then surely we should give Carney one more go to rage against the dying of the light.

I want a club to give Carney one more shot at redeeming himself.

Make no mistake, it would be his last chance. If he so much as looked at a stubby or even farted in the tunnel, he’d be gone. But I reckon, while a slow learner, the kid from Goulburn really understands now what is expected of him.

I want him to have a chance at redemption. I want to see it. And I’d be happy to see the prodigal son once more in lime green.

He just needs the chance.

Althewomanspal

Reserve Grader
People talking down on carney, I actually can not believe it. You think our hero’s of the 70’s and 80’s didn’t get up to that and much worse before the days of iPhones and rbts. He has been a piss wreck for sure, who cares! Didn’t seem to effect his performance when he was collecting a dally m medal, something no current manly player has done. Joey johns was a DRUG ADDICT. He has never done anything to seriously hurt anyone, players seem to like and respect him. Spare me your political correctness bull****, someone tell me what he has done that is so bad haha if I was next to him when he was doing the bubbler I would have laughed my arse off!

Todd Carney should get one more go
Columnist
By Tim Gore, 16 Feb 2018 Tim Gore is a Roar Expert

As a hardcore Canberra Raiders supporter, these are words I never thought I’d type: give Todd Carney another go.

The club that gives him that chance will be greatly rewarded.

The tattooed boy from Goulburn has been on a long and ugly trip through the world of rugby league since he debuted for the Green Machine in 2004.

While tough love from his coaches early on was sadly lacking, Carney has no one to blame but himself.

Now 31, he is desperate for one more go in the NRL to try and claim the last flickers of light of a career that could have been great – if he could have just stayed off the grog.

He had to go from Canberra back in 2008. We wanted him to stay and become the star we knew he could be, however when CEO Don Furner Jr pulled the pin in late July of that year, it was the right thing to do.

I said as much to Furner before the following weekend’s game and told him he had my support.

“If we win today then I’m right, if we lose then I’m wrong,” Furner replied to me with little joy. He hadn’t wanted to do it either.

It was horrible watching Carney win the Dally M Medal with the Roosters in 2010, but his subsequent sacking from the club in 2011, followed by the bubbler incident in 2014 with the Sharks, suggested we’d been better off without him.

Carney would go down as a cautionary tale in the annals of rugby league. Talent wasted. Potential unrealised. A wild child who just couldn’t help himself.

However, my mind started to shift on this firmly held view a few months ago, when Raiders captain Jarrod Croker got married.

There, in the photos of the wedding party, behind Croker and his beautiful wife Brittney, was Todd Carney.

While Croker is four years Carney’s junior, the two are close mates – something I didn’t know until that point.

We’ve all heard the stories told about how recidivist miscreants like Carney are actually “a really good bloke who just gets a bit loose on the grog”. When I hear those tales I’ve always thought, “Yeah right. Sure they are…”

However, if a man of Croker’s calibre is prepared to openly vouch for Carney, then we should be listening. I certainly am.

I’ve met a lot of complete assholes in my two decades in the rugby league media. Toxic, misogynistic, bully-grubs who think that because they have status in the NRL, they can do as they like abound. So when you meet a good person – someone of real integrity – you notice quickly.

I’m fortunate to work with the not just the best human ever to lace up a boot, but also the best man I know in general, Alan Tongue. The likes of Hazem El Masri, Wayne Pearce, Brad Clyde, Billy Moore, Sia Soliola, Trent Merrin, Jason Nightingale, Tim Mannah, Ivan Cleary and Petero Civoneceva are really good humans too.

Add Jarrod Croker to that list. For a man of 27, he is overloaded with integrity. A lot of people questioned why when he was made captain of the Raiders, but not one person who knew him did. He’s the sort of guy you want setting the standards and direction of your team.

So if he says that Carney should get another go, then the idea must have merit.

Talking to Carney, you know that he is desperate for one last chance. He is all too aware of how badly he’s played his cards, but if he can get just one more go to show his wares, he is determined to get it right.

The NRL is likely to register any contract put before them (assuming conditions are met) too.

“I just need a club to give me a chance,” Carney told me.

And why not? Three years out of the NRL is a heavy penalty, especially when Matt Lodge is getting another chance.

Further, Russell Packer just this week was given co-captaincy of the Wests Tigers, in one of the greatest turnarounds I’ve ever seen.

Jailed for a violent assault, Packer has now earned a university degree, done community service work – voluntarily – and has improved so much as a human that aforementioned NRL good guy Ivan Cleary has placed him in a leadership position.

If we can allow Lodge and Packer – after their violent crimes – to have another chance and they become better humans because of it, then surely we should give Carney one more go to rage against the dying of the light.

I want a club to give Carney one more shot at redeeming himself.

Make no mistake, it would be his last chance. If he so much as looked at a stubby or even farted in the tunnel, he’d be gone. But I reckon, while a slow learner, the kid from Goulburn really understands now what is expected of him.

I want him to have a chance at redemption. I want to see it. And I’d be happy to see the prodigal son once more in lime green.

He just needs the chance.
That's what I'm talking about ! Sign him up.

Snake

Snake's Alive!
People talking down on carney, I actually can not believe it. You think our hero’s of the 70’s and 80’s didn’t get up to that and much worse before the days of iPhones and rbts. He has been a piss wreck for sure, who cares! Didn’t seem to effect his performance when he was collecting a dally m medal, something no current manly player has done. Joey johns was a DRUG ADDICT. He has never done anything to seriously hurt anyone, players seem to like and respect him. Spare me your political correctness bull****, someone tell me what he has done that is so bad haha if I was next to him when he was doing the bubbler I would have laughed my arse off!
I wonder if it hurts to have your pants set on fire whilst you're wearing them?

I wonder if you'd laugh your arse off if he ran over your kids or killed your Mum the night he drove off from the cops at high speed with a blood alcohol reading of 0.145?

Look, I agree that we are all a little politically correct and quick to condemn people's mistakes these days, but you are just doing the exact opposite and hosing down some pretty serious behaviour to suit your "sign Carney" agenda.

He is a class A moron but so are a lot of NRL stars so makes no difference to me if he comes or not.

Last edited:

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
That's what I'm talking about ! Sign him up.
I hear you loud and clear Sparty
untitled.png

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
OK .. OK ... I'm prepared to be objective .. who would I rather stand on the hill and cheer for ...

a) Lachlan, a young kid who has had the 2 most important years of his career to date cruelly shattered by serious injury ... and who ... through super powers has fought his way back into NRL contention and SeaEagles folklore ...

or

b) Carney, a flea ridden mutt who has shown nil respect for any jersey he has ever worn .... oh, but wait, he is a good guy now. ....

OK .. OK ... I'm prepared to be objective .. who would I rather stand on the hill and cheer for ...

a) Lachlan, a young kid who has had the 2 most important years of his career to date cruelly shattered by serious injury ... and who ... through super powers has fought his way back into NRL contention and SeaEagles folklore ...

or

b) Carney, a flea ridden mutt who has shown nil respect for any jersey he has ever worn .... oh, but wait, he is a good guy now. ....
There is room for a) and b) .. But the way you have presented the argument (rather objectively) I would have to say a).

But the correct answer would be whoever TB decides to pick on the day..

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
There is room for a) and b) .. But the way you have presented the argument (rather objectively) I would have to say a).

But the correct answer would be whoever TB decides to pick on the day..

Part of supporting a team is the highs of magnificent victories and the pain of intolerable losses, the suffering of the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, and the orgasmic euphoria of 40-0 Grandfinal wins.

The journey for me with Manly has been going since the late 60's, as a small bit player and a big bit fan ... and one of the things that has always comforted me in the darkest hours is the fact that I have always had pride in the Manly team .... I can think of very few players over the last 50 years that I disliked.

(if I wanted to support dickheads I would go to Parra)

To just support a team, regardless of the character of the club or players ... to simply prize winning over any other virtue is a hollow experience .... and gives us teams like Melbourne.

Having said that .... if the mutt comes to Manly .... I will keep my gob closed and support him ... because part of being Manly has always been "never bag your own" that is ingrained in me.

Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 118 22
14 10 4 78 22
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 6 42 17
14 7 7 37 16
15 8 7 -8 16
14 7 7 -50 16