The Shane Flanagan Influence

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I'll agree with you on the tone of what he said. But taking the emotion out of it Kenty does have a point.

I must admit when I heard Siebold say the term 'shared learning' there was some eye rolling...

I recall when Seibs got the Souffs gig there was some eye rolling and quizzical looks as he was/is a "new age" coach.
Sure, he never hit the heights when he played but there are plenty of coaches that are in the same boat.
What seems to be the part where the jury is out is that he's got a couple of degrees - Bachelor of Teaching and a Masters of Education - which doesn't fit the usual footy coach box so his methods and terminology especially are geared differently and sound like corporate speak.

Kent seems very dismissive of what he achieved at Souffs and more hung up on what happened at Brisbane.

Maybe the Broncos players weren't smart enough to understand his vocabulary and/or gameplans.
Maybe they ( and the game ) weren't ready for it.
Maybe he's realised he may need to dumb down his messaging and that's what Flanno and Dymock are for.

Guys like DCE, Jake, Turbo, just to name three seem like very smart ( not just footy smart) guys and that could be the key also.
Hopefully the "shared learning" at Carlton pays dividends with DCE and Schu's kicking games, I can't remember who the third player that went there too is. Why not get your key general play kickers to keep learning in different ways?

Only time will tell if the Seibold appointment is successful but being as openly dismissive of it as Kent was is being pigheaded in my opinion, yes that's his role on 360 but seriously it sounded like he has a serious agenda with Seibold.

Hopefully the "shared learning" at Carlton pays dividends with DCE and Schu's kicking games, I can't remember who the third player that went there too is. Why not get your key general play kickers to keep learning in different ways?
From memory, I‘m pretty sure Frog was the other.

Ridiculous attack. Great for our players to rally around the coach and get the W's for him.

I was in a minority who was happy to see Seibold come in. What he has done to galvanise them was fantastic. We had a split squad and we lost 7 in a row. Regardless of future results.. he has done a remakrable job in uniting the squad spirit and fans again. He allows our media team to do more interviews.. more access (unlike Des).. which means more content. In this day and age.. thats how you feed your fan base. Get them excited about the team. Isnt it amazing we have had our best numbers with crowds and memberships in a very long time?

But hey.. Paul doesnt like Anthony so he talks ****. We win its because of Flanagan. If we lose it will be Seibolds fault. Credit where credit is due Paul Kent. He got the first up win after uniting our squad and restoring excitement and belief in the Manly faithful.

And .. Seibold has created the environment in which Flannagan is operating ... if successful , that in and of itself is praise worthy ...

And when Flannagan leaves ... there is no reason why Seibold won't make another astute signing as assistant ...

Has the NRL granted Flanagan permission to be a head coach?
If so, it won't be long before the top job is offered at several NRL clubs.

Has the NRL granted Flanagan permission to be a head coach?
If so, it won't be long before the top job is offered at several NRL clubs.
I could be imagining it.. but im pretty sure i read he cant leave in the first season?

Paul Kent is opinionated like much of media sporting or otherwise...
I personally don't agree with much he say's, or take him seriously.
Seibold at this stage has not put a foot wrong early on and in fact, started his rein at Manly almost to perfection, but it is fair to say it's very early days.
Thing is, Kent does not like Manly, it's obvious and has been for years....in fact, he is straight out a fan of Eels and Sharks and certain individual players in his good books.
This is not uncommon as we had ppl like Fatty and Moose in the media and they were openly avid Seaeagles men, so it's fair game.....just if you hear Kent talk Manly, it's best to tune out because it's coming from an ugly place and in fact, I pretty much tune out to all his self opinionated nonsense and don't rate his opinion any more than a drunk down the local pub who watches a game of footy or boxing now and then after 20 schooners...
Other than giving Sticky a free ride, I think Kent gives it to most pretty evenly. I don’t perceive his anti-Manly, and I recall he was a very close mate of the late Bozo. As you say, though, he is just opinionated like the rest of the media who are paid to have an opinion.

That show pretty much exists just to give fox sport some content for their website, which needs to be updated hourly it seems. If anyone actually watches the show its just a bonus.
They therefore try to manufacture an earth-shattering controversy for each show, and Kent is on the show because he's good at making up bs and arguing a point aggressively.

Up till last year it seems the shows format called for everyone to yell at each at once and i couldn't hear a word so gave up watching. They seem to have ditched that so far this year, guess they decided it was better if we can at least hear the bs fake arguments they are having!

Kent did say that Seibold has inherited a good squad so he must have some respect for our roster.

I have nothing against Seibold, but I was dead against him taking dessys job… until flanno was also announced…
Flanno as the assistant made me think we’re in for a big year (unless derailed by major injury’s)

I think he does the majority of the coaching, definitely the attacking stuff, and I think seibs walks around with the clipboard and does the media duties…

My prediction is manly will have a great season, prolly finish top 6 or so, then flanno will leave to head coach somewhere else next year and manlys performances will take a nose dive in 2024 (compared to 2023 anyway)

I have nothing against Seibold, but I was dead against him taking dessys job… until flanno was also announced…
Flanno as the assistant made me think we’re in for a big year (unless derailed by major injury’s)

I think he does the majority of the coaching, definitely the attacking stuff, and I think seibs walks around with the clipboard and does the media duties…

My prediction is manly will have a great season, prolly finish top 6 or so, then flanno will leave to head coach somewhere else next year and manlys performances will take a nose dive in 2024 (compared to 2023 anyway)
and then in early 2025, Seibs gets his marching orders and in waltzes Dessie for his third shot......

Did I read somewhere that Flanagan is the attack coach and Siebold is the defence coach? If this is the case then we should be able to gauge the relative merits of both.

Did I read somewhere that Flanagan is the attack coach and Siebold is the defence coach? If this is the case then we should be able to gauge the relative merits of both.
I guess Dymock cuts the oranges. :)

It's a coaching staff. They're a team - they're all in it together, and the success or otherwise of the footy team will reflect equally on them. All that matters is that they're all happy and the team is playing well. We've played one NRL game this season, so it's a little too early to be making pronouncements one way or the other.

But I hope Flanno is enjoying his time with Manly and our players. Maybe he appreciates being able to do different things - like working as a commentator for Fox, which he wouldn't be able to do if he was a head coach - and isn't eyeing off the top job.

I’m no big fan of Seibold, and still haven’t warmed to him, but that was ridiculously over the top from Kent last night

Where are his strong opinions on his mate Sticky ?
Because he thinks everyone cares about his opinion. My mate and I were talking the other day that we have had too much good press and now they are starting to look for ways to destabilise us now. They havent done it for a while

Last edited:

Flanno is a cheat

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7