The Shane Flanagan Influence

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I don't put much on it for a few reason, though I think Flanagan and Seibold will not be impressed and definitely speak about it at training.
I also think the reason behind it is more to do with Manly - than who they had on....as Roosters had them on earlier and couldn't score a point and their obviously best attacker Tedesco was on the bench...
The truth is, soon as Fulton went in at dummy half, the ruck flow broke down and we looked clunky and turned over easy ball and they gained momentum and cashed in, highlighting how important it is to control the game in the middle....that's how and why they scored a cluster of points.
Yep, it was a bit of weird decision to put Fulton at dummy half coz I can't imagine him playing there at any time in the future. It really did just throw things out of whack. There was one point there Shu got the ball and looked liked it was the first time he'd touched a footy. It resulted in a penalty against us for an obstruction. But it was a trial so you try things. Just don't try it again, I say.

I have some very high hopes for this team which includes the coaching staff. Love the subtle Des bashing after just 2 preseason games but hey fill ya boots.
For me I guess only a GF appearance will do to top the best football I've ever watched from 2021. 2022 was a low point sure but plenty of reasons for that. hopefully the new coaching team can go one better than old Des and make a GF this year.
Everyone assumed our poor end to the year was all down to jerseygate, but Fainu's trial must really have rocked the camp as well. Des was scapegoated bigtime, but c'est la vie, onward and upward with the new crew.

Everyone assumed our poor end to the year was all down to jerseygate, but Fainu's trial must really have rocked the camp as well. Des was scapegoated bigtime, but c'est la vie, onward and upward with the new crew.
Never a truer word spoken. I'm 100% behind the new coaching staff but I'm also 100% in the we shouldn't have sacked Des camp but that's in the past. Onwards and hopefully upwards.

Definitely gave me horrifying flashbacks to least season, when we repeatedly managed to find ourselves out of games in the blink of an eye.
Run of play really against Manly through that stage and less organized with some key players resting . Close to the line Roosters tries probably typified this and as much as Harper has and maybe can still offer something worthwhile , just was not able to cope with that run away Roosters try on that edge he was on . Good comeback last week and able to hang in there for most of Friday "s hit out so some good self belief and overall team resilience being shown

Run of play really against Manly through that stage and less organized with some key players resting . Close to the line Roosters tries probably typified this and as much as Harper has and maybe can still offer something worthwhile , just was not able to cope with that run away Roosters try on that edge he was on . Good comeback last week and able to hang in there for most of Friday "s hit out so some good self belief and overall team resilience being shown
Agree, Al. One thing we really need to do is work on resilience, to be able to withstand those big momentum shifts when they occur, as they often do.

I don't put much on it for a few reason, though I think Flanagan and Seibold will not be impressed and definitely speak about it at training.
I also think the reason behind it is more to do with Manly - than who they had on....as Roosters had them on earlier and couldn't score a point and their obviously best attacker Tedesco was on the bench...
The truth is, soon as Fulton went in at dummy half, the ruck flow broke down and we looked clunky and turned over easy ball and they gained momentum and cashed in, highlighting how important it is to control the game in the middle....that's how and why they scored a cluster of points.
I agree with that but wasn't the question why did we start too leak points? All I'm stating was reason is we had our young guns on they brought back there starting forward pack thats how through momentum and experience put 3 tries on in 5 mins

I agree with that but wasn't the question why did we start too leak points? All I'm stating was reason is we had our young guns on they brought back there starting forward pack thats how through momentum and experience put 3 tries on in 5 mins
Hey Johnno74
They started with that forward pack and didn't look like scoring, it was who we had "off" combined with a clunky patch of errors gifting possession to them with Manly completing 1 set out of 5 in this period.
They did pour through the middle to get on the front foot, but the defence was a rabble across the park with front rowers out in the centres ect, again due to not readjusting following turnovers.
I think modern footy is all about momentum and this is why a team can score a flurry of 4-5 tries, then the opposition can do the same.
The 3 Roosters tries imo were down to "Manly errors" and inability to get through sets with a nice kick to smoothly finish the set combined with being a trial and had key defenders off....rather than this we had Fulton at dummy half and things looked clunky and disorganised and the dropped balls, led to a feel of panic and the defensive line almost replicated this patch and what happens at this point is the talk and reset of the defensive line is disjointed as was the case and you throw in "Key defenders" who are the glue were of at this time, just added to it.
Like others not overly concerned, but a habit we don't want to accept as was a common factor in 2022 and as I said earlier, Flanno and Seibold will 100% ram this home, as to allow "a try" when things get "messy" will happen at times, but that NEXT set is a must control and get to a big hard kick chase and get back into the grind....which didn't happen but will be addressed.

Last edited:
In that 5 minutes our defence was paper thin and some players in defence were too slow to get back in the defensive line and that is something we haver to get out of our game. I hope that is being addressed this week.

It will be interesting to see how Flanno positions Turbo in attack. I reckon he’ll give Turbo lots of free rein as to when and where he involves himself, however, I hope it’s less from dummy half or first off the ruck.

With Jake potentially playing in the middle and his silky hands, he could run inside or outside of him looking for an offload, however, I think he’ll probably play more on left side, outside of Tuilagi and/or Parker. I can visualise Tuilagi and/or Parker running an inside line, putting defenders minds in doubt and Shu cuts out one or two of them, leaving space on the outside for Turbo and Garrick.

I think Turbo could also run a line inside Olakau’atu which will distract defenders and leave space for Koula, and hopefully Weekes, until Saab returns. I think you’ll see a lot of offloads from Olakau’atu this year.

Interesting times ahead.

I would suggest that as much as Flanno is an experienced coach ... this belief that he is operating independently of Seibold is a bit off ...

Why are we just assuming that the attacking structures are Flanno plans, and not a structure devised by Seibold and handed to Flanno to implement.

And, If the attacking structures are Flanno's plans ... he would have to have had them approved by Seibold in advance anyway

I personally have no idea ... but I would like to think it has been a collaboration.

I expect that they are working together. But at half time playing groups need only to hear one voice so it makes sense that they split them up. IMO Turbo needs to be patient and inject himself in space rather than trying to break thru traffic.

I personally have no idea ... but I would like to think it has been a collaboration.
If Seibold wasn't interested in collaboration he never would have invited an NRL premiership winning coach on board to start with.
He would have just hired low profile, inexperienced assistants. (Like the last coach did!)

Interesting on NRL360 Kunty stating that Seibold is extremely lucky having Flanno as assistant coach.
Flanno will be able right the ship when Seibold screws up or can't handle the pressure this year.

Kent said 100% Flannagan should be the Manly head coach.

It will be interesting later this year how Seibold goes when Flannagan moves to Saints / Newcastle/ Titans as head coach.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4