The Seven Have Agreed to Wear Pride Jersey Next Year (maybe?)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
None of you think this is just PR spin from Penn to soften the media and public pressure?

Tell everyone that everyone agrees and is on board, then by the time next year rolls around there is no jersey and everyone is happy. He never confirmed there would be a jersey.

Penn has muddied the waters with this statement. Who knows how much of it is true, who he spoke to, if he spoke to each player individually. The timing is not good either. The reasons is shambles. Its not good enough.
Now surely Penn has not stuffed up and said they have decided to be open to wearing the jersey next year when they didn't. Good point though... I would have preferred a joint statement with the players.

I think we all need to take a Chill Pill these Guys Had less than 24hrs to make a decision and they made the decision they felt was best at the time.

I’m sure there is a lot of us who hesitated taking the Covid 19 Vaccine and others who couldn’t take it quick enough and others who refused to take it.

We are all different and process things differently.

These 7 players are vital to our club and I hope they ALL have long and successful careers at Manly !!

I think we all need to take a Chill Pill these Guys Had less than 24hrs to make a decision and they made the decision they felt was best at the time.

I’m sure there is a lot of us who hesitated taking the Covid 19 Vaccine and others who couldn’t take it quick enough and others who refused to take it.

We are all different and process things differently.

These 7 players are vital to our club and I hope they ALL have long and successful careers at Manly !!
Has the chill pill been tested? Will it put a microchip in me? I’ve done my own research and the chill pill is responsible for most covid deaths

Storm in a teacup

They’ll all play this week and in a few weeks you’ll all get over it.
I know you are very solid on your storm in a teacup line Mark but I think there may be a few twists and turns that lay ahead because they are now a very strong faction.
Also, when in Rugby League history have SEVEN players ever refused to play for their club?
Des reiterated in his press conference many times that it is human, it is emotional, and it is a continuing work in progress.
Let the healing begin.

The way I see it, the players were blindsided by the jersey and their immediate reaction was something along the lines of “no way I’m supporting homos, I’m not wearing it!”.

To be completely honest, I can remember a time many years ago when I would have felt the same way. Discrimination against gays runs deep across society, and is not only seen in some quarters as acceptable, but expected.

Personally, it wasn’t until a school friend came out 20 years ago and explained his struggles to me that I saw it from his perspective. Then I realised how stupid homophobia is, and that it was causing young people to fall into depression and commit suicide.

During the week, the jersey opened up discussion on the topic of inclusiveness, particularly around the issue of depression and suicide. Just maybe the 7 listened to those stories and have changed their views. They are probably thinking that if they had their time again they would have played last night. They are just saying they want to be consulted because they don’t want to be put in this position again. I think that’s fair enough.

Surely that’s a great thing. While we have through away our season, despite some obvious poor management if this is true we have actually achieved a great outcome here. It’s not like we were going to win the comp this year and, even if we were, it’s just a game.

I will add - EVERY team across the NRL would have had players boycott the game under the same circumstances, make no mistake about that.
However if the management included the players in a more respectful way in advance, it appears the players may well have taken the field.
The way it was handled was the f**k up, not the players reactions as again, every NRL side would have lost players in this same situation.
Anyways, what's done is done - time to move forward and try win a few games in coming weeks , which I reckon we will.

The way I see it, the players were blindsided by the jersey and their immediate reaction was something along the lines of “no way I’m supporting homos, I’m not wearing it!”.

To be completely honest, I can remember a time many years ago when I would have felt the same way. Discrimination against gays runs deep across society, and is not only seen in some quarters as acceptable, but expected.

Personally, it wasn’t until a school friend came out 20 years ago and explained his struggles to me that I saw it from his perspective. Then I realised how stupid homophobia is, and that it was causing young people to fall into depression and commit suicide.

During the week, the jersey opened up discussion on the topic of inclusiveness, particularly around the issue of depression and suicide. Just maybe the 7 listened to those stories and have changed their views. They are probably thinking that if they had their time again they would have played last night. They are just saying they want to be consulted because they don’t want to be put in this position again. I think that’s fair enough.

Surely that’s a great thing. While we have through away our season, despite some obvious poor management if this is true we have actually achieved a great outcome here. It’s not like we were going to win the comp this year and, even if we were, it’s just a game.
You’re right, but this is 2022. My kids in high school don’t have the same attitudes as we did in the 80s. Poof/gay/lemon etc was an insult at my high school on nth beaches in the 80s but now the teenagers seem much more accepting. That’s another reason why I am surprised at the manly 7.

Wow, I am really not sure how to take this. If it is true then that is a massive turnaround. But if it is more bs from penn then it will only alienate the 7 further

Everyone is selling these 7 players short. I reckon they have done a fantastic job promoting awareness for the LGBTQIA+ community and other marginalised groups. If they had worn the jumper and played last night then it's just another game of footy with a fancy jersey. Like we see 3 or 4 times every season. Ho Hum.

However by making a selfless stand on the issue they have given the inclusivity cause a massive amount of publicity this week. Not just within the game, this has transcended Rugby League, it has gone world wide. The level of debate and discussion across all forms of media and the community has been amazing. The topic has come up in all aspects of my life, family, work and social circles - not to mention the Silvetails forum. Absolutely fantastic outcome. There have been conversations had, eyes opened, minds changed, and different points of views accepted right across all walks of life. That doesn't happen if they just get on with it and play last night

We should applaud their efforts. They have done their families, culture and God proud. They have achieved exactly what the jersey set out to achieve. I doubt there are too many people who didn't have a conversation about inclusivity this week and that's a truly wonderful outcome. Thank you guys.
Spot on!

In the absence of leadership, and possibly a bit too much arrogance i reckon it happened like this

fallout
no boss, no leadership
players talk of not playing
someone threatens them with payment
manager consulted
human rigths issue

both sides dig in . NRL detaches itself and lets club self destruct

NRL mediation, that was open to last minute jersey change, team selection delays, could have averted it all , when you consider the regret all sides face, its hard to think common sense was consulted at any turn, by either party

manly the club, screwed it by just being disrespectful twats unaware of the real world, employment law , and either arrogance or power delivers regretful ultimatum
the nrl , complete amateur hour, just asleep at the wheel. Incompetence of the highest order
the players , its my thought was there indecision, and rights infringed was hijacked by a cause , which became too hot to handle.

People wanted them hung for their decision,they have reversed it and now it is supposedly BS.
They have probably discussed it amongst themselves,their church,families,managers and probably the club at some level.
Does the situation stink?Yes to an extent,however, for whatever reasons they have come around and will wear the jersey.
Has their way of thinking been changed or they view it differently?Probably not.
Will there be fallout?Possibly.
I am moving on from it and am looking forward to next weeks game whoever is selected,if others do not then that is their choice.

Penn has muddied the waters with this statement. Who knows how much of it is true, who he spoke to, if he spoke to each player individually. The timing is not good either.
Have to agree. Two things we need to consider: this could be just wishful thinking on Penn's part, and it could also be poor, incomplete or inaccurate reporting (I know - whoever heard of such a thing?) Let's see what happens from here on in. Will there be an inclusion round next year? I hope so. Will all our players happily wear the jersey? Again, I hope so, but I wouldn't be betting on it (always while gambling responsibly) just yet.

Until we hear from the players themselves, we won't really know how or why they reached the decision they did. And if, after having some time to reflect on it and the explosion of commentary around it, they've changed their minds, that's ultimately a good thing.

It'd be nice to think that something positive has come out of this whole debacle.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8