The Positive Patch

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Can I suggest that its not really a fair comparison some make regarding young players fresh to grade with the achievements of former manly stars at the peak of their game. I understand such comments are made when we get frustrated by seeing Manly struggle. Only natural. I recll similar comparisons between Snake and Turbo when Turbo was starting out. Like comparing apples and oranges as they say. One comment was comparing Jamie Lyon with Schuster and implying Schuster is not in the same class. Further that there are no potential champions coming through our grades.

I think we need to be reminded of the fact that Schuster is in his second year of first grade, just turned 21, and has had several periods on the side lines through injury (young players often get injured). Jamie Lyon at the same age was a talented but not great player when at Parramatta. Tonnes of potential but still a long way to go. In England he developed his game significantly so by the time he came to Manly, aged 25 years he was reaching the top of his game. We should be reminded Cliff Lyons didn't reach star status until he was about 25.

Players like Schuster and Koula,maybe even Weekes are new to the game. It will take them years to reach their full potential, but for now they are like Lyon and Lyons were at the same age and development, just good players with much potential. I can see Schuster and Koula, potentially reaching Lyons' and Lyon's status in years to come. But we must be patient. They may not make it, but I believe they have no less potential than Lyons and Lyon at the same ages.

Agree with your post Bear, but Killer probably isn't the best example of your point. He burst brilliantly into NRL and played his first Test for Australia aged 19 years 8 months and 14 days. He had great natural speed back then but I agree he became a more well-rounded player as he got older.

Also 100%

Also 100% footballer, just like Glen Stewart, they weren't big, not overly fast but COULD play
He was fast enough to have the speed off the mark to create breaks
and adequate speed to finish of tries

Fast Facts ....
Slow Pedestrian backs are Predictable and are a liability in attack
Slow back are also a liability in defence as you can not tackle what you can not catch

I always remember a chase he put on Billy Slater over 50m - 60m and almost got him on the line.....a bit like Mick Snoz O'Connor - had deceptively good speed.

I always remember a chase he put on Billy Slater over 50m - 60m and almost got him on the line.....a bit like Mick Snoz O'Connor - had deceptively good speed.
Thanks for the memories maxta . Without speed there is no Thrill in a back line

Manly Sea eagles backs are meant to fly !!!

The ballad of Snoz and Jamie.....
Come fly with me, we'll fly, we'll fly away
If you can use some exotic Snoz
There's a try Jamie Lyons way
Come on fly with me, we'll fly, we'll fly away

Can I suggest that its not really a fair comparison some make regarding young players fresh to grade with the achievements of former manly stars at the peak of their game. I understand such comments are made when we get frustrated by seeing Manly struggle. Only natural. I recll similar comparisons between Snake and Turbo when Turbo was starting out. Like comparing apples and oranges as they say. One comment was comparing Jamie Lyon with Schuster and implying Schuster is not in the same class. Further that there are no potential champions coming through our grades.

I think we need to be reminded of the fact that Schuster is in his second year of first grade, just turned 21, and has had several periods on the side lines through injury (young players often get injured). Jamie Lyon at the same age was a talented but not great player when at Parramatta. Tonnes of potential but still a long way to go. In England he developed his game significantly so by the time he came to Manly, aged 25 years he was reaching the top of his game. We should be reminded Cliff Lyons didn't reach star status until he was about 25.

Players like Schuster and Koula,maybe even Weekes are new to the game. It will take them years to reach their full potential, but for now they are like Lyon and Lyons were at the same age and development, just good players with much potential. I can see Schuster and Koula, potentially reaching Lyons' and Lyon's status in years to come. But we must be patient. They may not make it, but I believe they have no less potential than Lyons and Lyon at the same ages.
Killer had played 5 Origins and 5 tests before he went to ESL.

I agree with some of the objections being made regarding the comparison between Jamie Lyon and Schuster. My main aim was to demonstrate assessing a player against a former champion based on the former champions career is somewhat unfair.

Let me say this though. Parramatta promoted Lyon when he was 18 and he showed his class and yes he played a few test matches, though the first was against Papua New Guinea. Bit difficult to compare today given tests have virtually disappeared because of Covid. Manly coaches tend to delay young players coming through, the one exception being Foran all those years ago. Even Turbo, who got a taste when 19, had to bide his time for another year before securing a permanent spot and DCE had to wait until he was 22.

The other problem with Schuster is that injury early in his career and in my opinion being in the wrong position has stalled his development. In 2021 Fittler stated clearly that Schuster was being seriously considered for a spot in SOO but injury unfortunately ruined his chances. This year again injury has thwarted his chances. I mention the positional issue because Schuster, despite having played a little second row in the juniors, made his name as 5/8 and assisted his teams to their successes as well as being identified as player of the tournament.

I know many claim his size debilitates his likelihood of being a top 5/8. I disagree. What makes this kid so special is his ball playing skill, as well as his overall game. Having watched last years games, one of the reasons Turbo had so much free space was Schuster creating space closer in, with the opposition uncertain about what his next move would be. That's a rare gift. Trouble is second row requires him to do a huge amount of the grunt work which seemed to tire him when the clever work was required. If Des uses him as 5/8 next year, I think many will be very surprised at just how clever this kid is and then I suspect the rep games will follow.

I just think we should see him for what he is. A player with only 25 games under his belt. I say the same with Koula, another who has multiple skills. Both excellent defenders, and a nose for creating attacking strikes. I would also like to see Weekes promoted now that Turbo is out. Maybe wing at first but he's shown he can handle full back very well in lower grades.

Lots of positives!

• Koula is amazing, getting some serious game-time this season too. Watch that space..for real
  • T8u doing great things and more than keeping Saab honest
  • Garrick doing fullback better than Turbo this season
  • Guac is world-class
  • Frog still solid
  • Parker injury is showing everyone he actually has game
  • Aloiai starting to show why we signed him up - he's been great!

Lots of positives!

• Koula is amazing, getting some serious game-time this season too. Watch that space..for real
  • T8u doing great things and more than keeping Saab honest
  • Garrick doing fullback better than Turbo this season
  • Guac is world-class
  • Frog still solid
  • Parker injury is showing everyone he actually has game
  • Aloiai starting to show why we signed him up - he's been great!
Every single point made here is 100% FACTSSS!!!! I love it! It's been a tough couple of weeks and our season looks like it's on the ropes but there has been a lot of good stuff still happening for the club. Emerging stars, players going to another level. A lot of positives that we need to not ignore and shed more light on.

Need an ounce of positivity on here tonight. Struggling, but here's mine for what they're worth:

Happy for Jorge that he scored, possibly his last NRL try.

Without Foz as well as Turbo, we'd be battling with the dogs for the spoon.

We play the Warriors next week, who are on a different level to the Storm.

Umm, that's about it.

Koula is the real deal. Was nice to see Olam not tear us a new one like he usually does and I think Koula can take the credit for that, does a great job in defence especially when his inside man is always making the wrong read. Would love to see him get some early ball in attack too, but understand that would take away from DCE’s deadly 360s and side-to-side runs which clearly help the team more.

Croker has been much improved lately too - credit where it is due

The positive is that, at least, we have some good young players coming through.

However, I no longer have expectations about the team for this year.

I'm looking forward to Origin and the high quality of football it produces. No guarantee that the Blues will win with both sides having high quality rosters.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4