The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Sorry, I’ve probably watched too many Hollywood movies where the lawyer knows their client is guilty but defends them anyway.
In fact lawyers sometimes are required to do so and simply can't just pull out. But they have ethical restraints placed upon them in respect of how they run that person's case. They can't suggest to any witness or the jury for instance somebody else did it. It simply putting the prosecution case to proof and it is the right of the accused to do so. Although that comes with a price at sentencing if the case is proven beyond reasonable doubt.

Of course! Managers don't do this for charity. While they try to line the pockets of their clients, there's gold in them there kills. Managers have to live too...on caviar, Veuve Clicquot, the latest Ferrari. Its called business
Yes, it's business @Bearfax but it's an extremely dodgy business, in my opinion. Just look at some of the characters involved as NRL Player agents. Look at the history of player agent deregistration over time. Look at the various clubs caught rorting the system over time as well. I don't blame the clubs, In fact, I don't even blame the player agents. They play the "game" that the NRL has enabled. It's an absolute abortion and the NRL has to fix it. The sooner we see changes to the system, and a subsequent reduction of the power of these dodgy used car salesman the better.

Last edited:
Point being, this rumour could be total BS but there could be some elements of truth to it as well.

But the genius of the tactic is ... it doesn't have to be true ... it just has to be made public to make Manly nervous enough to panic ...

and it also doesn't matter whether Tigers have the money for The Shooey, Gauca and the Fainu's ... because the publicity has alerted other clubs to their availability and puts more sharks in the water ...

First one to blink loses ...

And Manly can just say point blank NO to any player still under contract as Mestrov apparently did to one player "s even tacit request during the end stage of last season . Not as if the Shu or Haumole are not on pretty decent coin already , Samual Fainu no doubt to be offered an upgrade in due course . Every likelihood just scuttlebutt talk in any case

And Manly can just say point blank NO to any player still under contract as Mestrov apparently did to one player "s even tacit request during the end stage of last season . Not as if the Shu or Haumole are not on pretty decent coin already , Samual Fainu no doubt to be offered an upgrade in due course . Every likelihood just scuttlebutt talk in any case
I wouldn’t say it’s scuttlebutt,I’d suggest it’s his manager doing his job.Not as if the current Tigers recruitment manager hasn’t paid overs for Schuster in the past

Yes, it's business @Bearfax but it's an extremely dodgy business, in my opinion. Just look at some of the characters involved as NRL Player agents. Look at the history of player agent deregistration over time. Look at the various clubs caught rorting the system over time as well. I don't blame the clubs, In fact, I don't even blame the player agents. They play the "game" that the NRL has enabled. It's an absolute abortion and the NRL has to fix it. The sooner we see changes to the system, and a subsequent reduction of the power of these dodgy used care salesman the better.

Is it illegal? Agents generally act within the legal parameter's. Doesn't make it right, but then again what is right, given that's a morality issue. We all stretch the boundaries of what is acceptable, some more than others. When we cross the line, or found to be crossing the line, of what is determined illegal in our social system, then we can be prosecuted. But until then, unless the rules (the limits) are altered, many will take advantage of it. Human nature. The TPAs are supposed to not be initiated by the clubs, yet I wonder how many, or rather how few, are actually following those guidelines. That is more than dodgy, its contravening an agreed standard. I would suggest the agents are just the tip of the iceberg and become newsworthy because they are more open to public scrutiny. Its a dirty business but someone will always do it, unless as you suggested the rules are changed, and an independent group is selected to audit and investigate.

I wouldn’t say it’s scuttlebutt,I’d suggest it’s his manager doing his job.Not as if the current Tigers recruitment manager hasn’t paid overs for Schuster in the past
Heard rumors in 2021 that the Tigers offered Schuster more than what Manly did but rejected it to stay at Manly .Tigers and other clubs will make a move to poach him but Schuster has said all along that he will leave when Manly wants him to and I kind of believe him .Let's go Manly .

Sadly there is a lot more at play than simply greed on the part of the players. Many are from families that are not financially affluent and their family need their financial assistance and will no doubt encourage theirs to get paid as much as they can and what they believe he deserves.
Bingo. Hit the nail on the head. And if anything I expect this applies even more so for players from Pacifika backgrounds, where 'faith family and footy' are the keystones of their culture.

An extra few hundred grand each year to send back to extended family would amount to a pretty big factor for some of these players. For some it may even be a family decision, not the player's decision. Or at least the 'head of the family'.

I have assumed this was a factor for example in Fifita and the other bloke going off to Saints a few months ago. It doesn't mean Manly can't keep the guys we want to keep, it just means we have to pay them pretty close to market value. If a struggling club wants to offer them a lot more than that, well they can take it. Like Fifita did. But they do so knowing it may not be best for their career in the long run.

Surely it's illegal to do this ??
We caved into his **** with Olakau’atu getting upgrade. Josh while important to our roster is not worth 1.2 and tbh he overpaid on current salary.
He is a complete piece of **** and Mestrov needs to get him deregistered.

Sorry, I’ve probably watched too many Hollywood movies where the lawyer knows their client is guilty but defends them anyway.
Lol. Tragic summed it up prety well in this post.
In fact lawyers sometimes are required to do so and simply can't just pull out. But they have ethical restraints placed upon them in respect of how they run that person's case. They can't suggest to any witness or the jury for instance somebody else did it. It simply putting the prosecution case to proof and it is the right of the accused to do so. Although that comes with a price at sentencing if the case is proven beyond reasonable doubt.

Bingo. Hit the nail on the head. And if anything I expect this applies even more so for players from Pacifika backgrounds, where 'faith family and footy' are the keystones of their culture.

An extra few hundred grand each year to send back to extended family would amount to a pretty big factor for some of these players. For some it may even be a family decision, not the player's decision. Or at least the 'head of the family'.

I have assumed this was a factor for example in Fifita and the other bloke going off to Saints a few months ago. It doesn't mean Manly can't keep the guys we want to keep, it just means we have to pay them pretty close to market value. If a struggling club wants to offer them a lot more than that, well they can take it. Like Fifita did. But they do so knowing it may not be best for their career in the long run.
All the more reason why the salaries of all NRL players are disclosed by the NRL. It will help fans believe in the effectiveness/legitimacy of the Cap.

Surely it's illegal to do this ??
We caved into his **** with Olakau’atu getting upgrade. Josh while important to our roster is not worth 1.2 and tbh he overpaid on current salary.
He is a complete piece of **** and Mestrov needs to get him deregistered.
Olakau - atu was due or deserving of an upgrade but very relevant on your other points . Tartak does seem a bit out of control , has to be some limits surely on supposedly looking after a players best interests or some of his methods associated with it .

Sea Eagles make a long-term play to lock down Schuster​

Adrian Proszenko

By Adrian Proszenko

June 8, 2023 — 4.00pm

Manly have shut down suggestions they want to offload Josh Schuster by opening up discussions to keep the enigmatic star at the club long term.
The Sea Eagles met with Schuster’s management on Thursday with a view to offering a contract extension to keep him at Brookvale, potentially until the end of 2027. The Samoan international is currently contracted until the end of next year, meaning rivals can start tabling offers from November 1.

Wests Tigers are one of the teams expected to make a play should Schuster become a free agent. The Samoan international has a close relationship with Tigers recruiter Scott Fulton, who recently shifted to the joint-venture outfit.
Schuster has shown glimpses of the talent that had him earmarked as one of the NRL’s brightest stars during an injury-plagued season in which he has also attracted criticism of his form and fitness. Calf and quad complaints have restricted Schuster to just six appearances in 2023, prompting speculation that the Sea Eagles may be prepared to let him go.

However, Manly officials believe Brookvale is the place for him to fulfil his undoubted potential and want him to stay long term. Only last month, Schuster was adamant he could become the best player in the NRL.
“A hundred per cent. Ever since I was young, I’ve always wanted to do this. I know if I continue to work hard, I will be the best player in the world one day,” Schuster said.
Manly Sea Eagles have opened discussion with five-eighth Josh Schuster to keep him at the club long term.

Manly Sea Eagles have opened discussion with five-eighth Josh Schuster to keep him at the club long term.Credit: NRL Photos
“I’ve always believed in myself since day one. I always believed that one day I would be the best player in the game. I’ve still got a long way [to go] in saying that, I’ve still got a lot of learning to do. Lucky we have some senior players I can learn off.”
The Tigers are at a crossroads with their halves, having tabled Luke Brooks a cut-price deal, while the injured Adam Doueihi is only signed until the end of next year. The Tigers are expected to reshape their roster, with Shaun Blore, Daine Laurie and Jake Simpkin among the players the club is prepared to let go.

While the Sea Eagles want Schuster to stay, they are open to the prospect of assistant coach Shane Flanagan moving on if he is offered the St George Illawarra job. Flanagan met with Dragons chairman Andrew Lancaster and director Ben Hornby on Wednesday, with the club likely to make a decision by next week.
“‘Flanno’ has kept me up to date with where things are at,” said Manly coach Anthony Seibold ahead of his side’s clash with the Dolphins on Friday.
“He feels there will be a resolution sooner rather than later. I hope he gets the job. He’s qualified to get the job, he’s a premiership-winning coach, he’s coached eight years. He’s been fantastic for me.
“It would be a loss for the club, but ultimately with assistant coaches you want them to be aspirational. I’d love to see him get another opportunity and I hope he gets one at the Dragons.”
Seibold said he hadn’t yet broached the prospect of whether Flanagan, if successful, would leave immediately or at the end of the season. Regardless, Seibold said the former Cronulla coach would be a loss.

“He’s been a very good sounding board to me,” Seibold said. “Being an experienced coach, I feel you can lean on him [and ask] ‘What did you do on this occasion? What do you think about this?’
“Then you go away and think more about it. I feel any coaching staff that has an ex-head coach on staff, that’s a really positive thing because they have been through the furnace. They have won games, lost games, been on winning streaks, been on losing streaks. That’s the experience I bring from my last two jobs and that’s the experience Flanno brings from Cronulla as well.”

These reactive, panic signings worry me.

Garrick may leave. Promised positional change and bigger money.
Schuster may leave. On massive dollars already, getting re-upped already.
Koula may go to Rah Rah's. Massive offer to stave them off.

Are we paying too much for players that haven't won jack-**** yet? These deals may completely ruin our ability to get some actual talent that can possibly win some real games of footy.

Secondly, please piss Flannagan off, regardless of whether he gets the job or not. We want Manly people at Manly. Mercenaries only create apathy. That's why the Chooks pissed Ryles off, and why they'd have demanded his loyalty right from the start (unlike the turnstyle Manly approach)

Last edited:
Yes, it's business @Bearfax but it's an extremely dodgy business, in my opinion. Just look at some of the characters involved as NRL Player agents. Look at the history of player agent deregistration over time. Look at the various clubs caught rorting the system over time as well. I don't blame the clubs, In fact, I don't even blame the player agents. They play the "game" that the NRL has enabled. It's an absolute abortion and the NRL has to fix it. The sooner we see changes to the system, and a subsequent reduction of the power of these dodgy used car salesman the better.
The sooner we see changes to the system, and a subsequent reduction of the power of these dodgy used car salesman the better.

Seems a bit tough mate. Who will look after JAC, Jackson Ford, Jason Saab now that they're not shiny and new??

Sea Eagles make a long-term play to lock down Schuster​

Adrian Proszenko

By Adrian Proszenko

June 8, 2023 — 4.00pm

Manly have shut down suggestions they want to offload Josh Schuster by opening up discussions to keep the enigmatic star at the club long term.
The Sea Eagles met with Schuster’s management on Thursday with a view to offering a contract extension to keep him at Brookvale, potentially until the end of 2027. The Samoan international is currently contracted until the end of next year, meaning rivals can start tabling offers from November 1.

Wests Tigers are one of the teams expected to make a play should Schuster become a free agent. The Samoan international has a close relationship with Tigers recruiter Scott Fulton, who recently shifted to the joint-venture outfit.
Schuster has shown glimpses of the talent that had him earmarked as one of the NRL’s brightest stars during an injury-plagued season in which he has also attracted criticism of his form and fitness. Calf and quad complaints have restricted Schuster to just six appearances in 2023, prompting speculation that the Sea Eagles may be prepared to let him go.

However, Manly officials believe Brookvale is the place for him to fulfil his undoubted potential and want him to stay long term. Only last month, Schuster was adamant he could become the best player in the NRL.
“A hundred per cent. Ever since I was young, I’ve always wanted to do this. I know if I continue to work hard, I will be the best player in the world one day,” Schuster said.
Manly Sea Eagles have opened discussion with five-eighth Josh Schuster to keep him at the club long term.

Manly Sea Eagles have opened discussion with five-eighth Josh Schuster to keep him at the club long term.Credit: NRL Photos
“I’ve always believed in myself since day one. I always believed that one day I would be the best player in the game. I’ve still got a long way [to go] in saying that, I’ve still got a lot of learning to do. Lucky we have some senior players I can learn off.”
The Tigers are at a crossroads with their halves, having tabled Luke Brooks a cut-price deal, while the injured Adam Doueihi is only signed until the end of next year. The Tigers are expected to reshape their roster, with Shaun Blore, Daine Laurie and Jake Simpkin among the players the club is prepared to let go.

While the Sea Eagles want Schuster to stay, they are open to the prospect of assistant coach Shane Flanagan moving on if he is offered the St George Illawarra job. Flanagan met with Dragons chairman Andrew Lancaster and director Ben Hornby on Wednesday, with the club likely to make a decision by next week.
“‘Flanno’ has kept me up to date with where things are at,” said Manly coach Anthony Seibold ahead of his side’s clash with the Dolphins on Friday.
“He feels there will be a resolution sooner rather than later. I hope he gets the job. He’s qualified to get the job, he’s a premiership-winning coach, he’s coached eight years. He’s been fantastic for me.
“It would be a loss for the club, but ultimately with assistant coaches you want them to be aspirational. I’d love to see him get another opportunity and I hope he gets one at the Dragons.”
Seibold said he hadn’t yet broached the prospect of whether Flanagan, if successful, would leave immediately or at the end of the season. Regardless, Seibold said the former Cronulla coach would be a loss.

“He’s been a very good sounding board to me,” Seibold said. “Being an experienced coach, I feel you can lean on him [and ask] ‘What did you do on this occasion? What do you think about this?’
“Then you go away and think more about it. I feel any coaching staff that has an ex-head coach on staff, that’s a really positive thing because they have been through the furnace. They have won games, lost games, been on winning streaks, been on losing streaks. That’s the experience I bring from my last two jobs and that’s the experience Flanno brings from Cronulla as well.”
Dont offer him anymore money, he hasnt earned what he is on now. like I said ,if he doesnt want to be here, then let him go. We cant let any one player hold our club to ransom and dont come out and say you never want to leave the club, you want to be here for life. I hate it when a player does then and the next minute, he is gone. I still remember when Trent Hodgkinson said he never wanted to leave Manly, he loved it there and the next week, he signed with the Dogs

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6