The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
We havent seen the real Josh Schuster yet. As a forward he's not had the opportunities to utilise his skills in full. And 2022 was a wasted year for him, spending most of it injured and then on the bench and being over weight and seemingly without confidence. The fact he's making such an effort to address his weight issues and speed in the off season suggests we will see what he really can do at 5/8 this coming season. He could be anything
Well summed up Bear, I feel his no look pass can be even more lethal if he use's it sparingly. This kid as all the tricks, show and go, no look passes and cut out balls with rugged defence when needed. With an injury free pre-season behind him, 2023s looking good for Josh.

In my opinion, Josh was ready 2 years ago to slot into 6 but was thrown into the second row where he was not physically ready for the forward battle .( got injuries from ) I have never heard or seen a player coming through the lower grades at 5/8 up till he was ready for FG and they put him in the second row .( both league or union ) Let's forget the past and bring on 2023 and am hoping Josh gets to start at 6 . Cannot wait to watch what Josh and his team mates can bring after a few rounds next year . Let's go Manly .

In my opinion, Josh was ready 2 years ago to slot into 6 but was thrown into the second row where he was not physically ready for the forward battle .( got injuries from ) I have never heard or seen a player coming through the lower grades at 5/8 up till he was ready for FG and they put him in the second row .( both league or union ) Let's forget the past and bring on 2023 and am hoping Josh gets to start at 6 . Cannot wait to watch what Josh and his team mates can bring after a few rounds next year . Let's go Manly .

100%. Des effectively put Schuster's career and development backwards in order for his ahirt term

X 1000. Des has a lot to answer for. Thankfully for Schu and his development he is now gone.

100%. Des effectively put Schuster's career and development backwards in order for his ahirt term

X 1000. Des has a lot to answer for. Thankfully for Schu and his development he is now gone.
Des was ( was the operative word ) a great coach but I really think in the last two years he made some strange decisions and kept to them regardless of how we were performing.

In all honesty , he was rescued in 2021 by a freakish performance by one player , over 15 rounds, the rest just played bit parts to the “ Tommy Show “.

Anyway that’s past tense now and I’m excited to see how some of these youngsters go with a new coaching broom sweeping through the joint.

Just to balance the injury insinuation out a bit, and putting aside the argument of whether he should have gone to 5/8 earlier…

His debut game was at 5/8 and… injured.
His latest injury (calf) was in the off-season.
He got through most of 2021 in the second row largely without injury.

Not saying that second row didn’t place extra load on his body, but I think Shu has challenges that go beyond whether he plays 5/8 or second row. Hopefully, being placed at 5/8 next season and a poor 2022 will give him the kick in the butt he needs.

We saw that in Foran for the last 2 years .We will judge Josh after he plays 6 or more weeks at his favorite position since 2020 .
Foran actually took on the line more than i expected in his second stint at Manly.

My comment was not really meant to be complimentary towards Josh more stating that he is already showing signs of slowing down and becoming more of a facilitator creator which means he wont take on the line with sharpness as much as he should.

Hopefully he gets the weight down brings back some speed to his game and footwork so it encourages him to be more "selfish minded" at times.

Foran actually took on the line more than i expected in his second stint at Manly.

My comment was not really meant to be complimentary towards Josh more stating that he is already showing signs of slowing down and becoming more of a facilitator creator which means he wont take on the line with sharpness as much as he should.

Hopefully he gets the weight down brings back some speed to his game and footwork so it encourages him to be more "selfish minded" at times.
Yes injuries, weight and limited playing time does not equal top performance in my vast experience.

Yes injuries, weight and limited playing time does not equal top performance in my vast experience.

Exactly MF76. Its a waste of time judging this kid until we see him in the position that seems most suited for him. If he fails then we know. But judging him before he has a chance to show what he can do, is like judging a bird in the nest's ability to fly before it makes its first jump into space. Lets judge him on performance, not presumptions

Exactly MF76. Its a waste of time judging this kid until we see him in the position that seems most suited for him. If he fails then we know. But judging him before he has a chance to show what he can do, is like judging a bird in the nest's ability to fly before it makes its first jump into space. Lets judge him on performance, not presumptions
Position most suited to him? Or position his management has agitated for given the financial rewards for that position?

I can’t say I’ve seen many top line 5/8 the size of the shoe. I still think he’s s lock. But point here is at his size you can understand why his path isn’t the same as smaller faster boys who are the more common body shape, so just being a path less travelled doesn’t make it a wrong path. It’s custom fit for purpose.

Two years in first grade can only do him wonders. No one has concerns about his defence, but I guarantee he is a better defender now than he was three years ago. He’s learnt a lot playing next to foz, and IMO there nothing wrong with learning how to put someone into a hole by first learn how to run in one.

What the last two years has shown is the shoe biggest weakness is over playing his hand, get too attack happy and just not value possession or field position enough. Some question marks over his kicking game. He’s had two years to grow and improve his composure and learn to value the grind. But I still think this is where his biggest learnings are yet to be made.

There is already a lot of pressure on a young bloke to perform from the get go in 23. Especially when his halves partner is a similar type player neither being organising game managers. Let’s hope he handles it and shines. But how ever good he goes, I can’t agree that he would have done it better 2 years earlier.

Position most suited to him? Or position his management has agitated for given the financial rewards for that position?

Position most suited to him. Has nothing to do with management. Its based on performance and we've seen in the junior comps where his skills lie. Just because that position invites big money is not the primary reason he is suited to that position. He may fail but it will be because of skill not money. And saying that no one has been his size and succeeded by some others , is spurious. No one thought a big lump of a lad like Grothe was suited as a winger, yet he became the template for many wingers that followed and now we have few small wingers. Game changes.

Last edited:
I guess his lack of discipline doesn’t count? Letting himself balloon out is not significant? You are right… his performance is all on him… so WTf did he allow himself to balloon out to gastrointestinal size?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8