The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Schuster is a Huge talent as he has all the skills but his Huge frame is holding him back

If he trims down he will look and play more Terrific
1)He has some skills not "all the skills"
2)Playing effective and direct with a limited skillset done right is more important to build a future platform to play off.

Example is DCE has a more rounded skillset than Cronk, but Cronk was way more effective and dangerous because he perfects what he does well combined with footy intellect.

I watched our game again (no interest in the other games on offer) and Schu wasn't as bad as I first thought. Yes he failed to look when a try was on. Other than that he was very heavily marked by Wests, Noddy had obviously identified him as a major threat. A good wake up call on the reality of being a marked man, which NRL playmakers are.
And after about 3 whole games at 5/8 I suspect a lot of the disappointment in his performance today was down to unrealistic expectations. He'll improve as the year unfolds and if he avoids injury should be ready for a bumper season in 2023.

Shuster was ordinary. Awful actually. He's not involved in the game just his personal thing.
It seems he's not sure what his role is. Maybe Des will till him. Probably not.

Shu is hot and cold , inconsistent due to his inpatience. He is way too slow and has much to learn in defence effectiveness. We will struggle with him at 6. 2023 we will have a 6 and 7 that are inconsistent. Foz offered consistency week in weekout.

Leave Schuster at 6 for the rest of the year as we have won both games with him there .He needs to play against the Cowboys and Storm at 6 for us and him to find out if he is ready to be our 6 in 2023 and also what he needs to work on to get there . Des will have him loose the extra weight before kick off in 2023 .You need a player in there that the opposition are planning their defenses on and that should create room for our attack elsewhere on the field .

While The Shoe didn't have a spectacular game yesterday he is an excitement machine, isn't he?
Can you imagine him playing in a crack team such as Penrith or Melbourne?
I was impressed that he pared back his "have to score from every touch" approach and was more conscious of maintaining possession.
For me he is still potentially the most exciting playmaker we've had since Cliffy. I love watching him play, even though he's currently a rocks-or-diamonds player.

I dont think he was ordinary today, he never stopped trying,lots of tough runs, he was cramped in attack he needs early ball, if anyone stifles the attack its jake and walker playing first receiver when there is a need to spread to the edges plus croker service from dummy half isnt nrl standard
I rewatched. In attack up their end the schu rarely got the ball as first or 2nd receiver. Most often it went croker, Jake, Walker then schu out wide, and wests were already up marking sch’s supports, so there was nothing on. This is a problem with manly’s tactics, not so much the schu. The team should have adjusted.

I rewatched. In attack up their end the schu rarely got the ball as first or 2nd receiver. Most often it went croker, Jake, Walker then schu out wide, and wests were already up marking sch’s supports, so there was nothing on. This is a problem with manly’s tactics, not so much the schu. The team should have adjusted.
100% agree and is why it is important for some on here to watch the replays of the game after having a few ales ,then comment .He is rocks and diamonds alright ,that is why the commentators on both Nine and Fox talk about him a lot of the time when he does something good or makes an error but none of them wants him on the bench except for that rat Ennis .

Cliffy was rocks and diamonds and we loved him because the diamonds were worth the wait. Schuster has talent but he needs to work hard on his fitness, patience and being clinical. It’s all up to him he just needs to focus.

Last edited:
Cliffy was rocks and diamonds and we loved him because the diamonds were worth wait. Schuster has talent but he needs to work hard on his fitness, patience and being clinical. It’s all up to him he just needs to focus.

Bravo finally some common sense. Cliffy didn't cement his place in first grade till his mid 20's.

Give Schuster time to cure and create his art.

Wasn't sure where to put this but figured here is an appropriate thread as any. This is in the latest Northern Beaches Review by Adam Lucius:

"Will the real Josh Schuster please step up
In his last interview before his death, Manly great Bob Fulton likened Josh Schuster to fellow league immortal Wally Lewis.
"He is once-in-a-generation player - just watch the way he moves and the time he has with the ball," Bozo told this columnist. "He's got similar traits (to Lewis). With his size and skill, they (Manly) can build a side and a club around him at five-eighth."
Schuster backed Fulton's words with deeds when he was finally given his shot at a regular first grade spot, producing several stand-out performances as Manly roared into the top four last year.
But it's got to be said, his dip in form during this season has been alarming. No longer commanding a regular run-on berth, Schuster came off the bench for the last 22 minutes as the Sea Eagles threw away victory against North Queensland last Friday. His involvement was minimal and one of his no-look passes - now as predictable as white bread - forced Kieran Foran into a knock-on that pretty much killed off any hope of a late Manly revival.
Schuster is not solely to blame for Manly's average campaign this season, but his so-so form is a contributing factor and a concern. He started the season late due to injury, playing just six of 15 games for one try, one try assist and just two line breaks.
Fans accuse the 21-year-old of being unfit - a claim the Manly strength and conditioning staff strongly dispute - but it's clear something is not quite right. Schuster is slated to take Foran's spot at five-eighth next year, and the Sea Eagles fans will be desperately hoping he lives up to the hype."

I think Lucius has pretty much nailed it and I'm with the fans as far as Schuster's fitness is concerned.

Personally I think he's frustrated! His early season injury didn't help but coming back he's been on the bench, has had minimal game time & has been, as far as I'm concerned, held back for too long into games. He may look unfit & yes agree he could lose some kilos but overall he showed last year he can handle it. A young kid his age to go from a starting position, albeit not his favorite position in the 2nd row, to the bench to minimal playing time would frustrate me also. By the time he's brought into games off the bench the 'fat lady has already sung' & he's expected to perform miracles. It's not the first time this season the bench has not been utilized fully until late in games when earlier injection of fresh reserves could have helped! Many had high expectations of Saab when he joined & he didn't appear quite up to it then suddenly exploded. Same with Garrick. Schuster needs to start whether at 5/8 or 2nd row.....this chopping & changing & expecting him to come on with not long to go & perform is BS. To me it appears his confidence is down & it could be he's been told to play differently to his natural game?? People complain about his no look passes yet more have led to try scoring opportunities than haven't. The way he plays is what made him special in juniors AND the players around him had time to know how he plays & what to expect! He doesn't get that in 1st Grade......he needs to play consistently so those around him learn to expect the unexpected! FMD at least he tries to make things happen. Two of the greats, the late Bozo & Benji, can see it & to me it's all that matters. He's not the reason we lose games!

Personally I think he's frustrated! His early season injury didn't help but coming back he's been on the bench, has had minimal game time & has been, as far as I'm concerned, held back for too long into games. He may look unfit & yes agree he could lose some kilos but overall he showed last year he can handle it. A young kid his age to go from a starting position, albeit not his favorite position in the 2nd row, to the bench to minimal playing time would frustrate me also. By the time he's brought into games off the bench the 'fat lady has already sung' & he's expected to perform miracles. It's not the first time this season the bench has not been utilized fully until late in games when earlier injection of fresh reserves could have helped! Many had high expectations of Saab when he joined & he didn't appear quite up to it then suddenly exploded. Same with Garrick. Schuster needs to start whether at 5/8 or 2nd row.....this chopping & changing & expecting him to come on with not long to go & perform is BS. To me it appears his confidence is down & it could be he's been told to play differently to his natural game?? People complain about his no look passes yet more have led to try scoring opportunities than haven't. The way he plays is what made him special in juniors AND the players around him had time to know how he plays & what to expect! He doesn't get that in 1st Grade......he needs to play consistently so those around him learn to expect the unexpected! FMD at least he tries to make things happen. Two of the greats, the late Bozo & Benji, can see it & to me it's all that matters. He's not the reason we lose games!
This is bang on. The poor kid has struggled with injury this year and keeps getting chopped and changed. Bench, backrow, 5/8, bench.

When he started against Souths for his first game of the year, he was one of our best players. Put him back on the edge and let him start. Give him some time and he’ll build fitness and confidence.

15 minutes off the bench isn’t going to help and it works against our team.

Wasn't sure where to put this but figured here is an appropriate thread as any. This is in the latest Northern Beaches Review by Adam Lucius:

In his last interview before his death, Manly great Bob Fulton likened Josh Schuster to fellow league immortal Wally Lewis.
"He is once-in-a-generation player - just watch the way he moves and the time he has with the ball," Bozo told this columnist. "He's got similar traits (to Lewis). With his size and skill, they (Manly) can build a side and a club around him at five-eighth."
Schuster backed Fulton's words with deeds when he was finally given his shot at a regular first grade spot, producing several stand-out performances as Manly roared into the top four last year.
But it's got to be said, his dip in form during this season has been alarming. No longer commanding a regular run-on berth, Schuster came off the bench for the last 22 minutes as the Sea Eagles threw away victory against North Queensland last Friday. His involvement was minimal and one of his no-look passes - now as predictable as white bread - forced Kieran Foran into a knock-on that pretty much killed off any hope of a late Manly revival.
Schuster is not solely to blame for Manly's average campaign this season, but his so-so form is a contributing factor and a concern. He started the season late due to injury, playing just six of 15 games for one try, one try assist and just two line breaks.
Fans accuse the 21-year-old of being unfit - a claim the Manly strength and conditioning staff strongly dispute - but it's clear something is not quite right. Schuster is slated to take Foran's spot at five-eighth next year, and the Sea Eagles fans will be desperately hoping he lives up to the hype."

I think Lucius has pretty much nailed it and I'm with the fans as far as Schuster's fitness is concerned.
He is an over rated dud.

Interesting that the staff are suggesting he has no fitness issues.So what is the problem.He’s 21 so if he’s unhappy with his “treatment” i.e. bench time etc. I think he needs some better advice from those he trusts.His manager doesn’t really fill me with confidence that he’s doing the right thing by Schuster

Interesting that the staff are suggesting he has no fitness issues.So what is the problem.He’s 21 so if he’s unhappy with his “treatment” i.e. bench time etc. I think he needs some better advice from those he trusts.His manager doesn’t really fill me with confidence that he’s doing the right thing by Schuster
It could be a combination of factors. Could be Des and Shoe’s ego clash or even Des punishing him for the Foran exit. Who knows but something is not right. Might be time for old Des to give it away.

It could be a combination of factors. Could be Des and Shoe’s ego clash or even Des punishing him for the Foran exit. Who knows but something is not right. Might be time for old Des to give it away.
I doubt Des would hold a grudge against him over the Foran situation as Manly offered him a contract but Titans was better and too good to refuse.And if Des does have an issue,you can guarantee the media would be all over it given Schuster’s allegiances to the Fulton’s and certain people in and around the club/Fulton’s who are quite happy to leak anything and everything to the media.I have my issues with Des,but there’re along the lines of the way the team plays,not his man management skills as so many current and former players of his always praise him for that

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8