The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
In the game the other night his jersey got pulled up as he was rising from a tackle to play the ball & I didn’t notice any “belly” on him so I think you’re right - he’s a naturally bulky person & I don’t think he will ever be a cut, muscle bound player.

Not everyone has the genetics to be lean & musclebound - look at the likes of Latrell, Wade Graham, Suli, Te Whare, Timoko, etc.

2.5 years ago. Check out those blistering , explosive length of the field tries ! Diaaammmnmnm...

Well, well, Michael Chammas just said on 100% Footy that Manly have had enough of Schu at 5/8 (haven't we all) and he's moving back to the backrow and they're not waiting till next year. He didn't say exactly when, nor who'd be at 6, but I got the impression it might happen this week.
All will be revealed at 1600K today.

2.5 years ago. Check out those blistering , explosive length of the field tries ! Diaaammmnmnm...
That is from 2019 and over 4 years ago.
That's a long time ago! Pre-Brexit. Pre-Covid.
He was certainly fit as a 17-18 year old and not at all shy to run himself.
In fact it's possible that the years footy was affected by Covid disruptions really set him back more than some other young players. Maybe it will just take him longer to get back to where he was physically and with his footy, looks far off at the moment though.

That is from 2019 and over 4 years ago.
That's a long time ago! Pre-Brexit. Pre-Covid.
He was certainly fit as a 17-18 year old and not at all shy to run himself.
In fact it's possible that the years footy was affected by Covid disruptions really set him back more than some other young players. Maybe it will just take him longer to get back to where he was physically and with his footy, looks far off at the moment though.
I’ve said it many times on here however that game against the eels in 2021 was an incredible game from him. He seemed much fitter and leaner two years ago.

Probably will just be a matter again whether Shu can transition to a 13 role or try to get back to his regular impressive form on an edge in 2021 .
Noted a suggestion that he could somehow alternate between both positions depending on attacking or defensive stages but hard during a normal course of a game and with changeover plays and so on .
Also just that limited opportunity for him to better show his skill level with the requirement of a more grinding style at 13 .
Taking the defence on just wide of the ruck with more room to move should really help or assist him to get his mojo back set up and attacking ability wise . Defence there usually manages O K , just that extra effort and intent needing some improvement at times .
Seems to have more challenges fitness and injury prone wise since the latter stages of 2021 and now ongoing . Sure that he fully realizes what his responsibilities are to try to negate the problem on the general fitness area .
Would be a good outcome for him to resolve the 13 dilemma going forward but again for a range of reasons , looks like having to find another option there . and not too delayed one would hope

He is never going to have the same physiology he had in the juniors because he is human and humans grow.

Look at Tom T in the 9s in 2015 when he ran away from Randrandra. He was much leaner and faster because he was much younger. It’s what happens to all first graders.

Sure, he looks a little unfit but the days of the clip that Ryan posted have passed, not to mention have nothing to do with competing at first grade level.

I’ve said it many times on here however that game against the eels in 2021 was an incredible game from him. He seemed much fitter and leaner two years ago.
After a breakout 2021 season to where he is right now, it's hard to comprehend his fall in form in the space of 2yrs. mmm...I know we keep saying it, but another good off-season leading into 2024 and hopefully the Shoe can recapture his 2021 form all over again.

From the SMH. You have to wonder who is leaking this stuff.

Manly’s Schuster experiment set to end, Roosters star Manu not interested in bidding war​

Michael Chammas

By Michael Chammas

August 15, 2023 — 8.48am

Manly are set to end the Josh Schuster five-eighth experiment this weekend after a rollercoaster season in the halves for the enigmatic 22-year-old.

Sea Eagles sources confirmed to this masthead that coach Anthony Seibold is expected to move Schuster to the forwards for this weekend’s clash against the Warriors in Auckland on Friday night.

While it’s unclear where Schuster will officially be named when team lists are submitted on Tuesday afternoon, mid-season recruit Jake Arthur is poised to play in the halves alongside skipper Daly Cherry-Evans.

It has been a turbulent season for Schuster, who made it clear to Manly officials last year that he wanted to make a permanent move into the halves — a declaration that ultimately forced veteran Kieran Foran out the door to the Titans.

While Schuster has shown patches of brilliance, he has failed to make the impression required to hold on to the club’s No.6 jersey.

While he has recently inked an $800,000-a-season extension (TZ: cough) with Manly until the end of 2027, Schuster has already been told by coach Seibold that he will move into the back row next year to accommodate the arrival of Wests Tigers halfback Luke Brooks.

Problem is he’s slow as ****. Every time he makes a break of some sort he’s getting mowed down.
Yeah it’s strange - is it because he’s still recovering from his calf (& other) injuries or is it because he’s gunshy of getting injured again or is it because he’s unmotivated or overloaded with the game plan & overthinking things?

I dunno, I just hope he comes good for his own sake as well as the team’s.

So this is 2 years ago when he was playing backrow. A couple of things to note from the highlights. 1) how confident he looks with the ball in attack and 2) the last try that Tom scores, Shu is there backing up. So he had the fitness and speed to be there at the end of the game to be backing up Garrick and Tom. 2 things that are currently missing. Have the 2 leg injuries and subsequent loss of fitness led to this lack of confidence, I don't know. But I think he can still be an important player for us if he can get that fitness and confidence back.

After last weeks game I did write that they should throw him in the forwards this week to see if he has any ticker. Which I then thought twice about coz I thought it was a bit harsh. I guess we'll find out now coz the Warriors pack won't be doing him any favours.

Yeah it’s strange - is it because he’s still recovering from his calf (& other) injuries or is it because he’s gunshy of getting injured again or is it because he’s unmotivated or overloaded with the game plan & overthinking things?

I dunno, I just hope he comes good for his own sake as well as the team’s.
Schuster's a bit like the fools gold at the end of the rainbow, you think you're getting close to it.....to only see it get further away again..

this sounds to me like another one of those square of the defender conversations.

looking at the stats on the manly site, i can see a fair variation. other sites are cumbersom for the season stats on a game by game basis. point out a better one for that and i will look. especially times in games
.found it easier to get game by game stats there . against who and when is very important but even . It seems stat collection is not an exact science

I suppose it depends on lots of stuff those stats. they have DCE at 14 with 8 doughnuts and 3 of those in the last 6 weeks . hey im just quoting

maybe kicking assists or something has something to do with it .I actually think he has done better this season but against previous seassons numbers indicate otherwise. The link is below,

his game against the panfers he doubled his season best for tackle breaks, just adding since i looked

they have schuster listed at 13 T/A from 14 games but he is getting smashed....huh

see thats the funny thing about stats and why they can be as unreliable as opinion in many cases. Just curious do you consider a try assist when 20 down with 10 to go is as valuable as a try assist at nil all. are all stats even equal in terms of measuring contribution. are stats a definitive in measuring output

does your workplace have stats ? many do

So this is 2 years ago when he was playing backrow. A couple of things to note from the highlights. 1) how confident he looks with the ball in attack and 2) the last try that Tom scores, Shu is there backing up. So he had the fitness and speed to be there at the end of the game to be backing up Garrick and Tom. 2 things that are currently missing. Have the 2 leg injuries and subsequent loss of fitness led to this lack of confidence, I don't know. But I think he can still be an important player for us if he can get that fitness and confidence back.

After last weeks game I did write that they should throw him in the forwards this week to see if he has any ticker. Which I then thought twice about coz I thought it was a bit harsh. I guess we'll find out now coz the Warriors pack won't be doing him any favours.

Agree with your points that he looked better and more confident in that game, but Foran was out that week and Schu was actually playing 6 there. In fact before this year I'd always thought his best games had been in the halves.

Unfortunately even as one of the few fans of him left I do think he's probably outgrown the 5/8 spot but we've really done him no favours. The moment we signed Brooks and Tommy went down is when we should've moved him back to the forwards, but instead he's been out there playing a position we don't want him in, and being asked to create opportunities with Tuilagi, Parker & Tui/Vaega outside him. We saw how we looked when he at least had Koula & Tommy to link with, but there is no half in the game that would succeed when being rushed on every time they get the ball, and having no genuine attacking threat outside of them. That's what we saw on Thursday night with Schu

I'm glad we are apparently making the change this week if only just to see some sort of change within the team, but I wish a) we'd decided to do this earlier and not with 3 weeks left, and b) also addressed some other positions like our outside backs, weak forward pack, lack of threat at hooker. This is what I don't understand with Seibold being the tactical innovator he tries to be, surely he is watching the same games we are

Agree with your points that he looked better and more confident in that game, but Foran was out that week and Schu was actually playing 6 there. In fact before this year I'd always thought his best games had been in the halves.

Unfortunately even as one of the few fans of him left I do think he's probably outgrown the 5/8 spot but we've really done him no favours. The moment we signed Brooks and Tommy went down is when we should've moved him back to the forwards, but instead he's been out there playing a position we don't want him in, and being asked to create opportunities with Tuilagi, Parker & Tui/Vaega outside him. We saw how we looked when he at least had Koula & Tommy to link with, but there is no half in the game that would succeed when being rushed on every time they get the ball, and having no genuine attacking threat outside of them. That's what we saw on Thursday night with Schu

I'm glad we are apparently making the change this week if only just to see some sort of change within the team, but I wish a) we'd decided to do this earlier and not with 3 weeks left, and b) also addressed some other positions like our outside backs, weak forward pack, lack of threat at hooker. This is what I don't understand with Seibold being the tactical innovator he tries to be, surely he is watching the same games we are
Yep that's fair and once Brooks was signed his 5/8 days were over. I take your point about him playing 5/8 that day (I didn't realise Foz was out). But I think he will be playing as a ball playing loose forward, so he may find himself in a similar position in attack at times anyway.

Just for a more relevant comparison, I've also attached the Tigers game from that same period. Foz is playing this game and I just note the footwork and leg speed he had back then when he sets up Chez. We just need him back at that level and he'll do well for us in the forwards.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8