The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
On what I have seen so far I would prefer him as an edge backrower or centre with a licence to do some playmaking... which is exactly what he's doing now. And he is dominating.

The problem is that neither Josh nor DCE are primarily an organiser in the mould of Adam Reynolds or Nathan Cleary. Foran is, and DCE is going nowhere for a few years at least.

Not every game is going to be like yesterday where we can rely on Tom to just punch holes in the opposition and score at will on the back of that.

In the juniors it was his organising ability that got them to the top. Just remember this kid is 19 and is yet to be given a good opportunity at being the centre of the action. Benji wasn't kidding when he said his first game, which was at 5/8, was the best debut he had seen. In that game the team was leading until he left, injured. His skills are hindered by being in the forwards and this was revealed in some of the rep junior games when he was chosen in the second row for half a game rather than at 5/8. I suspect this kid will be a bigger star than Foran, and I think Foran was an outstanding 5/8.

Scorpio

Armchair Expert
In the juniors it was his organising ability that got them to the top. Just remember this kid is 19 and is yet to be given a good opportunity at being the centre of the action. Benji wasn't kidding when he said his first game, which was at 5/8, was the best debut he had seen. In that game the team was leading until he left, injured. His skills are hindered by being in the forwards and this was revealed in some of the rep junior games when he was chosen in the second row for half a game rather than at 5/8. I suspect this kid will be a bigger star than Foran, and I think Foran was an outstanding 5/8.

If he stays on the field he will be a superstar, I have no doubts. But not convinced it will be as a #6.

Game management required in U/18s (i.e. many of whom haven't finished growing) while playing in a stacked junior side, is surely different to game management required in the NRL playing against adults.

Also this isn't the early 1990s where neither of our halves kicked the ball very often. Being a half means having to put in pinpoint long and short kicks, get repeat sets and build pressure. The past 5 years has suggested that we need both our 6 and 7 doing this regularly or our attack becomes ineffectual.

Are Josh's strengths best utilised doing those things at first receiver? I would say no. He probably has even more space on an edge at second receiver where he is essentially already a playmaker with free reign. He can still pick and choose when to combine with his inside/outside men...

For now I am just glad he is out there and getting his hands on the ball.

AlxFromNthNarra

Rarely does big posts worth reading....maybe
Don't hate me for saying this, but Schu reminds me of a player like Latrell Mitchell (minus the shonky attitude) - big body with super silky skills and boundless potential.

Showed against the Tigers that he can single-handedly drag a team back into a game that is in the balance - that was special, instinctive footy to exploit that gap and make that break for our first pts - and yeah his no-look passes might get frowns from the conservative amongst us......but I love it! That level of confidence is refreshing in this side.

With the Turbo clan, the Fainu clan and guys like Schu, we are already building the next Manly dynasty - and that's despite the Barrett speedhump en-route.

We simply must hold on to Schuster at all costs - and having him already wrapped up until AFTER the DCE contract re-negotiation is to happen is super encouraging.

EOL now nesting on the GC

Official NRL commentator of the UK Royal Family
Premium Member
Tipping Member
It's real simple mate... First thing you get taught in the under 6s is LOOK at the bloke your passing too..
Toms pass wasn't great I agree, but atleast he was looking..
Shuster had no one on his left, wasn't gonna make it himself and had cherry on the right open.. EVERYONE knew he was going to pass right, so why look left??? What purpose does it serve other then too "look cool" whilst almost blowing a certain try by throwing a dud pass BECAUSE HE WASNT LOOKING..
He blew the try on the wing by not looking and throwing the ball dead instead of too an open Winger, and almost blew the cherry try..
It's not needed EVERY SINGLE PASS and it you don't get that then I'm not gonna try explain it again
So there are some players that can just do things 99.9% of others cant. You me and im pretty sure all of the ST forum fall into the cant side.
Should Benji have been told. Dont throw those flick passes behind his back while looking the other way? Or Joey Johns to stop doing the things that made him an immortal?
No.... keep going kid doing what ever you want. Its working at the moment so dont change for anyone.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
Do those no look passes worry anyone?

He seems to do them even when he doesn’t need to!

just sayin’

There was a superstar player in another sport who built his career on no look passes and I see a lot of the brash confidence in Shoe that I also saw in this guy even from early in his career like where Shoe is at now.

Although lets not forget that just a few weeks ago those no look tap-on's and passes weren't coming off and some even resulted in turnovers that led to opposition tries. We all like them now, but not everyone, including myself, liked them the week before we beat the Warriors.

That other player BTW? Magic Johnson, and he turned out alright.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
Also this isn't the early 1990s where neither of our halves kicked the ball very often

That's an interesting point. From the mid-late 80s until probably the end of the Bozo coaching era, none of our halves were really great or prolific kickers which was rare at a time when halves like Lewis, Stuart, Daley, Langer and Fittler were all known for their kicking games. Cliffy probably kicked the most out of himself, Des and Tooves, but the bulk of the Manly kicking during that period was done by our fullbacks which were Rowdy Shearer and Matthew Ridge.

manlyfan76

There is no A.I. Just better computers
No way I'd be prepared to pigeon hole Schuster without him getting a good run in the halves.

Everyone can see his talent playing 2nd row, the skills, the vision yet some don't want him where he has played most.

six for sure.

XV-1

First Grader
Watch the replay if garrick sprints from when shoe gets it then its a try instead he was jogging and not really anticipating getting it that early. Garrick is almost a sure bet to score every game now that shoe and turbo are playing like this.

Totally agree. If you look at the Benji pass to Johnson, Johnson had to run fast to pick it up.

Looks like Schu can kick off both feet. When he was penalised for kicking the ball away, it was with his right foot.

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I didn’t even notice. By that time I was already in chorus with some other Manly supporters at the Tugun Surf club, singing Eaglerock.

If you were that close to the airport ya shoulda just rocked up, thrown some cash down on the counter and caught a flight to watch the game!

#truesupporterlife

lol

Maybe.... Shuster does look, sees the player backing up, continues running, then throws the ball to where the player should be!

then it just becomes a matter of time lapsed to determine when a look becomes a no-look.

And as we know... time is a relative construct!

nightster

The older I get the better I was
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Penrith will be plotting to smother him and Tom and starve them by smashing DCE and Foz ... so hopefully Froggy steps up his running game and our forwards smash their halves

Ranga

Bencher
Tipping Member
Maybe.... Shuster does look, sees the player backing up, continues running, then throws the ball to where the player should be!
I reckon he does look but is great at making it look as though he hasn't. Kind of like when one walks with their better half, sees an 'attractive sort' and gets a decent look, but is able hide from better half the fact that they have seen the 'attractive sort'. It's all about seeing as much as you need in order to assess the situation...

47MVEagle

Bencher
I reckon he does look but is great at making it look as though he hasn't. Kind of like when one walks with their better half, sees an 'attractive sort' and gets a decent look, but is able hide from better half the fact that they have seen the 'attractive sort'. It's all about seeing as much as you need in order to assess the situation...

20210427_080747.jpg

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
11 8 3 75 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
11 6 5 -9 14
10 6 4 -10 14
12 6 5 36 13
11 6 5 107 12