The Manly forward pack are Soft

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

ManEagle

Just a Man and his Eagle
I wouldn't say they are soft, not at all. They are just too nice, we have no Mungrel or DH forwards, Walker and Alosi are probably the two most likely.
Our forwards just want to play footy, do their job, tackle but without malice, they are not interested in the niggle or putting someone on their ass for the sake of putting then on their ass to gain dominance.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Yeah if you saw one of our forwards in a pub you'd probably feel safe to bowl up and say g'day. Maybe except Haumole, he's got quite a good scowl.

We need another one or two that you take one look at then quickly avoid eye contact.

1647481592899.png

ManEagle

Just a Man and his Eagle
Yeah if you saw one of our forwards in a pub you'd probably feel safe to bowl up and say g'day. Maybe except Haumole, he's got quite a good scowl.

We need another one or two that you take one look at then quickly avoid eye contact.

View attachment 20531
Haha exactly.
But if you want more mungrel you have to accept there will be DH, sinbins, send offs and off field incidences. It's just life, personality traits, our forwards are nice guys they don't get into trouble.
We had AFB alot criticised him for being a DH, Walker gets canned, Alosi was starting to cop it before being injured, fans have to make up their minds what they want, I just can't see how you can have both traits and not have issues

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Looking at the recent losses to souffs, melb and the riff

I think as a side we are mentally weak. we never really look in control of the pace of any games as the better teams continually dictate terms and game speed. The pack seems willing enough to test themselves but are too often on the back foot and on a hiding to nothing considering there size and shape . they showed great scramble the other night until the mental scars appeared, early

popular opinion thats its there own doing, or they lack a hooker all hold merit but the teams mind gives up before the arms and legs do

There are so many aspects to possession rate that lead to the mental fatigue and they are failing in some of the basics when under pressure, and that pressure of folding under pressure is growing. our fancy pants game got us plenty of air time on prime time , where the teams underbelly is about to be tested for all to see at night , where our game struggles at the best of times

The on field leadership currently have intention to speed the game up when we are gassed, and to risk it all early instead of getting to safety areas and kicks , to gain some psychological relief for at least playing some footy at the other end away from your line.

I bag on a lot about our kicking game but ask ourselves, how many of our kicks in a game have some type of attacking option to them, repeat set, pressure from chasers, contested, etc. a very very high percentage rely on a clunker from the opposition and the result is mostly reasonable for the opposition to counter. marginally better last week but i would think this would be a stat we would be below average

so why do i bang on. Because our game is rarely littered with good, planned, smart , organised kicking, especially early in in contest which is part of good platforms as we get our arses handed to us by teams that do again

we seem to overplay our hand when we should be kicking when the scoreboard pressure is nil all feeling comfortable, but ultimately end up a way behind on the fatigue and psychological battle by the time the opposition score.

we take the field to out score the opposition where other teams outlast them, both styles need a game plan and approach. i just dont think our approach to the footy, the respect we give the better teams is where it should be. And that is the weakness. the mistakes, dropped balls are just the symptoms of the intent

PS have we ever just settled for a 30 or 40 m kick into touch to slow the game down . is the fastest backline assembled too scared to have one play from a scrum 70 m out. its just not in the DNA to try rest the boys when they are huffing , ever.

47MVEagle

Bencher
Haven't we already got a thread about this?

EDIT: apologies, the other thread compares our forwards to urine - a liquid - so "soft" is not an applicable descriptor - this thread is therefore acceptable & not a duplicate, carry on.

Ryan

Journey Man
LOL, where did Raiders and Knights finish last year ? The Eels were very lucky last week. Go back to supporting Parra mate if you can't get behind the boys after losing 1 game against the reigning Premiers on their turf , who have lost 6 games in 2 seasons !

Pathetic thing to say, sorry :finger:

Real Manly fans don't tell others to support another team. We just don't. It's a prehistoric and redneck rib at someone (perfect for the Kennel's board). Immature, weak and pathetic. @IQofalimabean is "absolutely" entitled to want more out of the forwards from his favorite team.

Brookie Bob

"I come back to you now at the turn of the tide"
It's a pity that Ben Kennedy doesn't want to get involved. We need some ex-Manly forwards to mentor our pack on being 'a pack'. We've got Snake mentoring our outside backs, a great move - look how that turned out last year.

Shoe1

Journey Man
Aloia has promise, but expends lots of energy in things that don't quite come off, e.g. dangerous tackles that get us penalised and him suspended. Hopefully he can channel this aggression and energy better this year.

Ryan

Journey Man
It's a pity that Ben Kennedy doesn't want to get involved. We need some ex-Manly forwards to mentor our pack on being 'a pack'. We've got Snake mentoring our outside backs, a great move - look how that turned out last year.

Surely a consultancy role for Spud? That's a good idea mate. Not sure he'll commentate on Foxtel given how patronising and demeaning Voss was to him when he got a callup.

Last edited:

deanm

Reserve Grader
Pathetic thing to say, sorry :finger:

Real Manly fans don't tell others to support another team. We just don't. It's a prehistoric and redneck rib at someone (perfect for the Kennel's board). Immature, weak and pathetic. @IQofalimabean is "absolutely" entitled to want more out of the forwards from his favorite team.
Just my opinion, but I don't stick it up our players .

47MVEagle

Bencher
Just my opinion, but I don't stick it up our players .
I agree, nothing wrong with the occasional emotionally-charged criticism during a game but this same stuff a week later?

Can you imagine Des (or any other coach) doing the same?

Ryan

Journey Man
I agree, nothing wrong with the occasional emotionally-charged criticism during a game but this same stuff a week later?

Can you imagine Des (or any other coach) doing the same?

Then why browse a footy forum after the teams been walloped? You're not going to have everyone posting in the fashion you demand / prefer, as human beings are naturally different, and take wins / losses in different ways / levels.

I personally think anyone completely gutted (after being flogged by three teams out of our last four), who comes on here and literally tee's off just shows how passionate, disappointed and caring they are.

That's as opposed to people who come on after a loss, just to mediate those people, and demand they be positive all the time (debating the poster, not the subject).

Seems really sad, if that's people's mindset. Also shows they should open their minds. Debate the subject. If you find yourself upset at the poster, go to another thread, or read someone else's response. No-one cares what X poster feels or thinks about Y poster. There's a Dr Phil thread about that somewhere on the internet, I'm sure.

I reiterate, telling a Manly fan, to go follow another team for being upset about our team losing, is nothing but dumb, narrow minded and immature.

EDIT: The original poster was speaking generally about our forwards, as a whole, and wasn't nasty. If you find yourself (and this goes for anyone) writing about the way they perceive a forum poster is, forget it (go to Dr Phil), and move on....no-one cares.

Ryan

Journey Man
For the record, I disagree. I think our forwards are fantastic.
I want Marty re-signed. On paper we have one of the best teams.
I DO think however they could play-the-ball quicker. I do think they could be more aggressive in defense. But that's system stuff that can be fixed.

Tragic Eagle

Tragic
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I believe its not sticking up our players if we provide constructive criticism. I was not happy with the pack last week but I was also very unhappy with some of the options taken by our halves which actually exploited our tried pack. In pressure games we have a habit of turning over important possession particularly after we haven't had the ball for quite a while. Turning over critical possession by choosing low percentages plays, like cramming your backs for space and players being pushed into touch (last year), throwing poor passes to players under pressure resulting in turn overs, poor kicks that are easily returned near half way and kick offs out on the full, these all contribute to the pack being overwhelmed when already gassed by harsh and repetitive six again calls. They are not super human and they need help from the people paid to control our game.

47MVEagle

Bencher
Then why browse a footy forum after the teams been walloped? You're not going to have everyone posting in the fashion you demand / prefer, as human beings are naturally different, and take wins / losses in different ways / levels.

I personally think anyone completely gutted (after being flogged by three teams out of our last four), who comes on here and literally tee's off just shows how passionate, disappointed and caring they are.

That's as opposed to people who come on after a loss, just to mediate those people, and demand they be positive all the time (debating the poster, not the subject).

Seems really sad, if that's people's mindset. Also shows they should open their minds. Debate the subject. If you find yourself upset at the poster, go to another thread, or read someone else's response. No-one cares what X poster feels or thinks about Y poster. There's a Dr Phil thread about that somewhere on the internet, I'm sure.

I reiterate, telling a Manly fan, to go follow another team for being upset about our team losing, is nothing but dumb, narrow minded and immature.

EDIT: The original poster was speaking generally about our forwards, as a whole, and wasn't nasty. If you find yourself (and this goes for anyone) writing about the way they perceive a forum poster is, forget it (go to Dr Phil), and move on....no-one cares.
I browse this forum before, during & after games whether we win, lose or draw.

I don't demand or prefer anyone else post in a particular manner but like everyone else, I'm allowed to post my opinion, no?

I don't believe coming on here endlessly criticising our coach &/or players demonstrates a greater passion for our club than people who don't feel the need to do that.

I'm a fan of constructive criticism so I find seeing the same repetitive criticism (constructive & otherwise) nearly a week after the game somewhat tiresome as it doesn't really achieve anything other than dwelling in the past.

I prefer to look ahead with a positive mindset & look forward to our next game with the hope that we show signs of improvement.

Ever since last Thursday's game I've seen people providing any reasons for our performance shot down & accused of not living in reality.

As far as I'm concerned:

It was round 1
We played last year's premiers
Our opposition played at breakneck speed resulting in us fatiguing, making errors & lacking creativity
We had Schuster, Aloiai & Walker out injured/suspended
We lost our bench dummy half after 2 minutes
No other game in the round was played at the same intense pace & despite us looking ambushed, we played a lot better than many other teams did
2 other top 4 teams (Roosters & Souths) looked ordinary against lesser opposition

Also, this thread didn't need to be created, it could have just been a continuation of the other thread its been merged with.

Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 118 22
14 10 4 78 22
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 6 42 17
14 7 7 37 16
15 8 7 -8 16
14 7 7 -50 16