The Manly forward pack are Soft

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

47MVEagle

Bencher
I agree, nothing wrong with the occasional emotionally-charged criticism during a game but this same stuff a week later?

Can you imagine Des (or any other coach) doing the same?
Furthermore, my post above was illustrating how pointless & unconstructive going on & on about how weak our forwards are a week later is, because you can bet Des said all he was going to say about our deficiencies in last week's match in the days immediately after it & has had the boys thinking positively & constructively & working towards putting in a better performance tomorrow night all week.

mickqld

Sea Eagle forever
Tipping Member
Well I wouldn't walk up to them face to face and call them soft. So it shouldn't be said on here either. They've got tomorrow night to show their mettle. I just hope we see their best.

Red Pill

Enthusiastic Amateur
Not good enough!

- no mongrel

- no go forward

- completely dominated in every way

- slow play the balls

- zero urgency

- no heart

- errors

It’s been this way for many many years and once again it’s the same **** again to start the year, Yes they will bully the weaker teams but we will never never ever win the comp or compete with the stronger teams unless there is change, be it players or attitude!

disgusted
Out of interest how do you think our pack compares to another team say like Parramatta?
Not good enough!

- no mongrel

- no go forward

- completely dominated in every way

- slow play the balls

- zero urgency

- no heart

- errors

It’s been this way for many many years and once again it’s the same **** again to start the year, Yes they will bully the weaker teams but we will never never ever win the comp or compete with the stronger teams unless there is change, be it players or attitude!

disgusted
hey soupy how do you think our pack compares to the eels?

Ryan

Journey Man
I browse this forum before, during & after games whether we win, lose or draw.

I don't demand or prefer anyone else post in a particular manner but like everyone else, I'm allowed to post my opinion, no?

I don't believe coming on here endlessly criticising our coach &/or players demonstrates a greater passion for our club than people who don't feel the need to do that.

I'm a fan of constructive criticism so I find seeing the same repetitive criticism (constructive & otherwise) nearly a week after the game somewhat tiresome as it doesn't really achieve anything other than dwelling in the past.

I prefer to look ahead with a positive mindset & look forward to our next game with the hope that we show signs of improvement.

Ever since last Thursday's game I've seen people providing any reasons for our performance shot down & accused of not living in reality.

As far as I'm concerned:

It was round 1
We played last year's premiers
Our opposition played at breakneck speed resulting in us fatiguing, making errors & lacking creativity
We had Schuster, Aloiai & Walker out injured/suspended
We lost our bench dummy half after 2 minutes
No other game in the round was played at the same intense pace & despite us looking ambushed, we played a lot better than many other teams did
2 other top 4 teams (Roosters & Souths) looked ordinary against lesser opposition

Also, this thread didn't need to be created, it could have just been a continuation of the other thread its been merged with.
Great post ! But see what you did there? You basically supported what I was saying. You gave reasons why you felt the team could improve, in a balanced, fair, non-attacking, intelligent, mature way.

You didn't tell someone to go support another team. You didn't tell someone they are this and that. You didn't rag someone's outlook or opinion. You debate the topic.

And I don't disagree. Full strength, our forwards have the ability to dominate other forward packs (Taupau, Paseka, Aloiai, Keppie, Olakau'atu, Schuster, Trbojevic, Davey, Bullemor, Sipley). That's enough firepower to dominate.

We need to be disciplined. We need to go at twice the speed and twice the amount of energy (like Panthers, Storm and others). We need to be fast at the ruck.

Do that and we'll improve out of sight. Means our backs will have more room to move. Means we'll be more dominant in defense. Tommy will be unlocked again.

Not sure what we are debating tbh (haha) we actually agree. What was it again ?

frank stokes

I discriminate indiscriminately
I dont think our guys are soft but i think many are less athletic than other packs... i am not saying they are not fit, i just reckon other packs are jammed with guys that have exceptional natural athleticism combined with fitness and competitiveness...

I personally reckon Marty, Guac, Jake and possibly Oshay are our only forwards that really tick that box... and Schu but he is not a true forward, more a ball-player on the edge...
Problem I see is that when these guys are not supported by other forwards that maintain momentum and intensity it leads to them being gassed and then the whole house of cards falls down...

It is notable that when Tent, Sip or Keppie have a big game - we generally steamroll the opposition...

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I dont think our guys are soft but i think many are less athletic than other packs... i am not saying they are not fit, i just reckon other packs are jammed with guys that have exceptional natural athleticism combined with fitness and competitiveness...

I personally reckon Marty, Guac, Jake and possibly Oshay are our only forwards that really tick that box... and Schu but he is not a true forward, more a ball-player on the edge...
Problem I see is that when these guys are not supported by other forwards that maintain momentum and intensity it leads to them being gassed and then the whole house of cards falls down...

It is notable that when Tent, Sip or Keppie have a big game - we generally steamroll the opposition...
i think we play the wrong style of footy for our pack to excel. they are big and mobile on the front foot but cumbersome and clunky on the back foot.

with a greater share of the ball this pack can roll anyone but if they are drip fed the pill, and the scoreboard reflects poorly the mental barrier emerges

i think if our game plan continues about being a bit different to other teams, like the tigers gf where they go against the conventional conservative grain , we must get more defence based forwards. not all of them but we need to change the current balance. Thats a couple of season process. hopefully davey can help fill this void somewhat if he gets a chance

as they are somewhat cumbersome in defence when croker or jake chop players down as they do, they are often pinged for coming in late to slow down the ruck for flop style. I think this is an area we get screwed over

the big guys get stretched a little easier in the middle .

i think the forwards are an untapped weapon, but i think mentally, we are a 15 - 25 minute side. we need signs of dominance early or we wobble.

we always talk about BK, and i agree regarding his influence but it seems to me we need a current player who can hand hold us through 80 minutes because we dont really know the journey unless the floodgates open

winning the kicking and territorial duel early in matches after a few big hit ups should be our bread and butter considering our massive props, DCE the cannon boot and wingers that travel at the speed of light .FFS, that alone should get us 8th

some basics look like they need more detail for me and the hand holder to keep team focus

alafua8

Reserve Grader
Agreed Penrith dominated that middle in game 1
But I recall Manly's pack owning Parramatta on their home turf in 2021
The only 1 not hiding was Brown and Keppie smashed him so hard, poor Brown was wearing a skirt by the end of that game
And also it was Schuster's only full game at 6 for 2021 .When Des is going to use him there again is a mystery .

KNUCKLES

Bencher
If
And also it was Schuster's only full game at 6 for 2021 .When Des is going to use him there again is a mystery .
If Schuster is 6 next year, I think we need a made ready replacement on the roster. Kid is always injured. Foz mite be the best option, with shoe coming off the bench short term

alafua8

Reserve Grader
If
If Schuster is 6 next year, I think we need a made ready replacement on the roster. Kid is always injured. Foz mite be the best option, with shoe coming off the bench short term
Weird thing is our injuries are mostly at training ,makes you wonder if some players are trying too hard to impress Des at training instead of game day . I like Foz but hard to see us winning the competition with him and Evans as our halves .They were there all last year and showed no improvement against the Panthers this year .We need young ones with new ideas to move forward .

Weird thing is our injuries are mostly at training ,makes you wonder if some players are trying too hard to impress Des at training instead of game day . I like Foz but hard to see us winning the competition with him and Evans as our halves .They were there all last year and showed no improvement against the Panthers this year .We need young ones with new ideas to move forward .
Halves, backs and Tom in general can't shine unless the forwards man up and set the platform. When we are always coming off our own line to bring the ball back because the other team have marched down the field - not much Foran, DCE or Turbo can do. The forwards need to muscle up and we need to replace Lawton on the bench with another forward to help with the rotation. Big night tonight for the pigs... either man up or there will be changes next week.

alafua8

Reserve Grader
Halves, backs and Tom in general can't shine unless the forwards man up and set the platform. When we are always coming off our own line to bring the ball back because the other team have marched down the field - not much Foran, DCE or Turbo can do. The forwards need to muscle up and we need to replace Lawton on the bench with another forward to help with the rotation. Big night tonight for the pigs... either man up or there will be changes next week.
We competed with Penrith for 20 minutes until we made errors and we cannot give the top teams extra sets .The problem for me is what we did with the ball when we have it in that first 20 minutes .
It was 5 hit ups and kick the ball straight down the fullbacks throat .Their was no variety in our attack . We then score a try from a ball that we could not find a kicker to kick it away .Anyway let's cheer the boys on tonight and hope for a win .Go Mannnnnly .

47MVEagle

Bencher
We competed with Penrith for 20 minutes until we made errors and we cannot give the top teams extra sets .The problem for me is what we did with the ball when we have it in that first 20 minutes .
It was 5 hit ups and kick the ball straight down the fullbacks throat .Their was no variety in our attack . We then score a try from a ball that we could not find a kicker to kick it away .Anyway let's cheer the boys on tonight and hope for a win .Go Mannnnnly .
I thought DCE did at least one long kick that resulted in Saab tackling a Pennies player in goal?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 118 22
14 10 4 78 22
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 6 42 17
14 7 7 37 16
15 8 7 -8 16