The Life Of Brian (Kelly)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
I may be wrong but it seems that some are puting Kelly down for vested interests. Where there is a dispute over missed tackles, metres gained etc, some are chosing the poorer results. Are there some on this forum who dont like Kelly hmmm?
This forum is all about different opinions and disputes .That's what forums are for.
The vested interest and not liking players comments are in your own mind and way of thinking

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
This forum is all about different opinions and disputes .That's what forums are for.
The vested interest and not liking players comments are in your own mind and way of thinking

I'm not in any way disputing that fact. I am merely pointing out an apparent observation. I dont think anyone is yet suggesting Kelly is the next big thing. But I think most agree he is a class above many who are coming though to first grade. As I once pointed out Fulton, who I watched from the beginning of his career with Manly, was clever to start, but nothing trully special as he later became. He was several levels below Manly's star of that time Stanton. Fulton-Rome was not bult in a day nor a season. Neither is Kelly-Rome. And I'm not suggesting Kelly will be anything near as good as Fulton. But he looks to me to be well into the top half of backs who have played for Manly that I have seen and watched develop. May faulter...it happens... but to me he has the pedigree.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
I'm not in any way disputing that fact. I am merely pointing out an apparent observation. I dont think anyone is yet suggesting Kelly is the next big thing. But I think most agree he is a class above many who are coming though to first grade. As I once pointed out Fulton, who I watched from the beginning of his career with Manly, was clever to start, but nothing trully special as he later became. He was several levels below Manly's star of that time Stanton. Fulton-Rome was not bult in a day nor a season. Neither is Kelly-Rome. And I'm not suggesting Kelly will be anything near as good as Fulton. But he looks to me to be well into the top half of backs who have played for Manly that I have seen and watched develop. May faulter...it happens... but to me he has the pedigree.
Thank you for the courtesy of your reply .
We all have our views and its great to hear yours

Kelly is 1.5 years into a 3 year deal @ 21 and on 300k a season from what I recall (could be wrong but pretty sure the number sticks).
It is his 2nd year of first grade, 5 games in.

Year 1 was up and down. Defence misreads were regular, speed not as expected, but he showed glimpses of having footy talent.
Year 2 is certainly a step up from year 1, and the footy brain is there still plus he has stiffened up in D.

Bit of a way to go - but back to post 1 and @Mark from Brisbane is still on the money. @ 3.22% of our salary cap, he is welcome to keep getting better every game. Should he stall, or should the Roosters come knocking with 750K pa for 5 years (150K on the cap), then we would probably say our farewells.

Brian Kelly can play footy, he just needs more time to develop his game. May not be with us in the future, but I'm sure he will eventually be a pretty good 1st grader.

On a side note it was a shame he stopped to step the last line of defence. Seemed an injustice for him to do it, then be mowed down.
But full marks to Cartwright for chasing after he was well beaten.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
Kelly is 1.5 years into a 3 year deal @ 21 and on 300k a season from what I recall (could be wrong but pretty sure the number sticks).

Year 1 was up and down. Defence misreads were regular, speed not as expected, but he showed glimpses of having footy talent.
Year 2 is certainly a step up from year 1, and the footy brain is there still plus he has stiffened up in D.

Bit of a way to go - but back to post 1 and @Mark from Brisbane is still on the money. @ 3.22% of our salary cap, he is welcome to keep getting better every game. Should he stall, or should the Roosters come knocking with 750K pa for 5 years (150K on the cap), then we would probably say our farewells.

Brian Kelly can play footy, he just needs more time to develop his game. May not be with us in the future, but I'm sure he will eventually be a pretty good 1st grader.

On a side note it was a shame he stopped to step the last line of defence. Seemed an injustice for him to do it, then be mowed down.
Just looked up some info for you ...
Kelly is on 160k a year and is off contract at the end of 2018 along with the following players, Off Contract 2018: Lewis Brown, Lachlan Croker, Jack Gosiewski, Jackson Hastings, Brian Kelly, Apisai Koroisau, Shaun Lane, Darcy Lussick, Curtis Sironen, Kelepi Tanginoa, Akuila Uate, Jonathan Wright
Zero Tackle .

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
Wow.
If that 160k per year is correct, then we are getting excellent value for money at the moment.

Yeh saw that on Zero Tackle. Problem is going to be that its going to require a big chunk of cash to upgrade...and to compete with others. Personally I think we have a good player who could become a special player. If we lose him what options are there...not many for the money they will be asking

mave

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
ST needs a whipping boy, and Kelly provides that. I hope he is re-signed on that basis alone.

TimmyQ

Bencher

I like your logic with that post - and truth be told it made my D stiffen up a little too ;)

nightster

The older I get the better I was
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Yes mate I did see the game on fox .
I don't think he has been a stand out . Tommy Turbo has been a stand out . We all have different views , nothing personal
Stand out players convert opportunities into tries .
I do remember one Jamie Lyon dropping a few cold

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Kelly has shown some brilliant footwork and instinctive footy skills, I think we have a young bloke who is on the improve and has proven to have the ability to break a game open which is rare for a young centre....in saying this, he is not a genuine speedster and everyone is fair game to have an opinion or this forum would get boring...as for me, I'm on team Kelly but its all just opinion in the end....

Smokin Joe

Bencher
I may be wrong(but I don't think so....;) ),but my understanding (despite what zero tackle and others say) is that he signed a 2 year contract for 160K a year for 2018-19 and when it became known,the Titans released him from his 2017 responsibility and we picked him up for an extra year last year.I think we still have him contracted for next year....If we can find the cash we could upgrade 2019 and extend for a year or 2 like AFB.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
Who breathes through their willy????

I may be wrong(but I don't think so....;) ),but my understanding (despite what zero tackle and others say) is that he signed a 2 year contract for 160K a year for 2018-19 and when it became known,the Titans released him from his 2017 responsibility and we picked him up for an extra year last year.I think we still have him contracted for next year....If we can find the cash we could upgrade 2019 and extend for a year or 2 like AFB.

Sounds right, jogs a few cells. But there should be a spot on rating.

StuBoot

Bencher

Yep, we signed him for 2018-19 and as is the norm these days, it is somehow worked out that it's a "can we/do you want him now?" scenario.
Not sure of the $$ though but $160K for a guy that hadn't played 1st grade sounds about right.
An upgrade for next year and extension could be wise depending on how much of an upgrade that is.
He's really not that far behind where Walker was at the same stage of their careers.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
11 6 5 -9 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 5 6 47 12