The Life Of Brian (Kelly)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

NLSeaEagle

Reserve Grader
His size and strength will improve, and I really don't get the carry-on about speed - plenty of guys getting around who are quick, but dumb as dogsh*t and totally incapable of either throwing the right pass to someone else, or putting themselves in the right place at the right time to receive a pass. You need a mix across the backline, one or two pure speedsters, sure. But not everyone needs to be an Olympic sprinter.

What you can't work on in the gym or coach into a player are the footballing instincts. Kelly's got good ones.

I'm really not sure he's going to get any taller.................but maybe some gym work will improve his strength.

You hit the nail on the head ........."You need a mix across the backline, one or two pure speedsters, sure"
The problem is that we are presently missing that 1 or 2, which makes his lack of speed an issue.

Holmsey

Bencher
I'm really not sure he's going to get any taller.................but maybe some gym work will improve his strength.

You hit the nail on the head ........."You need a mix across the backline, one or two pure speedsters, sure"
The problem is that we are presently missing that 1 or 2, which makes his lack of speed an issue.
Tom, Uate and Walker are very fast, im happy with our current backline.

Kevinward777

First Grader
His size and strength will improve, and I really don't get the carry-on about speed - plenty of guys getting around who are quick, but dumb as dogsh*t and totally incapable of either throwing the right pass to someone else, or putting themselves in the right place at the right time to receive a pass. You need a mix across the backline, one or two pure speedsters, sure. But not everyone needs to be an Olympic sprinter.

What you can't work on in the gym or coach into a player are the footballing instincts. Kelly's got good ones.
He's also demonstrated some REALLY nice footwork in attack, the type of footwork that enables a player to beat his inside or outside man nine times out of ten when the defence is back peddling. He then breaks the line and is able to set up his support runners either side. I remember reading somewhere in the pre season where a Manly player (think it may have been Walker) said he was amazed at the footwork of Kelly. Matai wasn't ever a speedster and I think Kelly is at least as quick as him. Good feet, a good head and an ability to throw left or right at pace is more than enough for a centre to develop into a top quality attacking player. Like I've said, I'd had enough of Kelly in the last month.....at the start of the year I saw enough of the above to be excited about the kid, but he was looking uncertain and as a result was making several errors. Last night took that excitement to the next level. Will he kick on? I really hope so, but if he doesn't it won't be because he was lacking in the skills required that's for certain. Roberts is a very fast and dangerous centre, but I reckon Kelly has the potential to be a much more skillful player than Jimmy Roberts will ever be.

mave

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
He's also demonstrated some REALLY nice footwork in attack, the type of footwork that enables a player to beat his inside or outside man nine times out of ten when the defence is back peddling. He then breaks the line and is able to set up his support runners either side. I remember reading somewhere in the pre season where a Manly player (think it may have been Walker) said he was amazed at the footwork of Kelly. Matai wasn't ever a speedster and I think Kelly is at least as quick as him. Good feet, a good head and an ability to throw left or right at pace is more than enough for a centre to develop into a top quality attacking player. Like I've said, I'd had enough of Kelly in the last month.....at the start of the year I saw enough of the above to be excited about the kid, but he was looking uncertain and as a result was making several errors. Last night took that excitement to the next level. Will he kick on? I really hope so, but if he doesn't it won't be because he was lacking in the skills required that's for certain. Roberts is a very fast and dangerous centre, but I reckon Kelly has the potential to be a much more skillful player than Jimmy Roberts will ever be.

And that is precisely what some clowns can't see....the potential...

You dont hang draw and quarter a kid with this much potential, even after 10 poor games. You nuture him, and reap the rewards later.
You cant have a footy team stacked with 17 current international quality players (unless you are Brisbane).

anthonyb1965

GO Manly
Happy with 3 very fast players
HAPPIER with 5.
*** SPEED THRILLS *** :)

Would you swap Kelly for; Roberts, Gagai or Chambers? These guys are arguably at the top of their game while Brian has loads to learn and is a keeper for mine.

Screenshot (5).png

And that is precisely what some clowns can't see....the potential...

You dont hang draw and quarter a kid with this much potential, even after 10 poor games. You nuture him, and reap the rewards later.
You cant have a footy team stacked with 17 current international quality players (unless you are Brisbane).

And they look like adding Mathew Lodge to their list next year as well, apparently he has been cleared by the NRL. If he can keep his act together, he can be anything, he has the talent thats for sure

HoldenV8

Journey Man
Chicka had a good game last night and how important it was to the team. He has a lot ahead of him if he stays in the game. His body will develop, his strength will improve, his game will improve. I just hope we see it.

I just wish he the speed of another Chicka.....John Ferguson. That would be very handy. But as @yokahontas said, speed isn't everything. Its all well and good to be a Jimmy the Jet, but what good is it without a brain?

PS .. for over 2 decades now clubs provide all sorts of "family" accommodation and support personnel to assist young men coming to Sydney because they recognise the high risk of a range of problems for them. This only occurred when the failure rate was rising to unacceptable levels.

I think its actually been longer than that. IIRC in Fatty's book he said that when he came down from Brisbane in 1979, he was provided accommodation by a friend of Arko's who had been doing that sort of thing for years.

A rest and an off season programme will make all the difference to this bloke.
I've said before Darryl Williams clone.

A Darrell Williams clone. Hmmm never thought of him like that, but thinking about it you could be close to the mark. Williams won a premiership with us and played for his country. If Kelly could do similar I'd be happy.

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
I think many are under-estimating Kelly's speed. He is no slouch, and was quick enough in U20s rep game to score 5 tries in a match. Over 15 metres he's very quick. And he relies more on evasion and jinking than really fast players like Tom T. We havent seen much of him in the clear yet, but though I accept he doesnt have Tom T and Walker's outright pace, he has good evasive abilities and a good eye for making the right play and setting up his supports. Having variety in the style of your backline players is in my opinion more important than having sheer pace across the park.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
Must be why Roberts hasn't won a premiership or played rep footy ;)
Ok feathered friend here are some facts ;)
The flying catch me if you can Jimmy the jet is not the only Big Name Player not to win a Premiership and comes with illustrious company ....
*Wally the Immortal Lewis
* The Flying Steve Rogers and Andrew Ettinghauson
Just to name a few.....
Dynamic Big Name match winners that never played rep footy include ...
* The Brilliant razzle dazzle Preston Campbell
* Our premiership winning captain and Dally M Medal Winner Matt Orford
Other Dynmic Impact Speedsters include Luke Burt and the general Luke Patten
If you know your footy K.E. then you would know that Jimmy the Jet is a champion Player

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
Let's all hope that Kelly simply had his 2nd year syndrome early.

PSS. Don't write of Parker .... he also has the skills.
Good Morning Woodsie ,
Glad to see we agree on some things. Parker is a machine

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
I think many are under-estimating Kelly's speed. He is no slouch, and was quick enough in U20s rep game to score 5 tries in a match. Over 15 metres he's very quick. And he relies more on evasion and jinking than really fast players like Tom T. We havent seen much of him in the clear yet, but though I accept he doesnt have Tom T and Walker's outright pace, he has good evasive abilities and a good eye for making the right play and setting up his supports. Having variety in the style of your backline players is in my opinion more important than having sheer pace across the park.
The attribute that makes fine players is not just one or two fine games . It is making an impact with their skills on a regular basis .
Consistency is the Key that opens great NRL careers

Snake

Snake's Alive!
I think this is the attitude that we should be taking with Kelly. It's very true that Matai wasn't fast but he also had great footwork and knew how to position himself to pass the ball inside or out. Kelly has shown an ability to position his winger and that's a skill that is sometimes even more valuable than raw speed.

Kelly won't be scoring too many 100m tries over the next few years but he will probably help create a few and be a dangerous prospect inside the opposition 20m zone, which is where most tries begin.

Snake

Snake's Alive!

Tom T and Uate are fast enough and I think Dylan Walker would be one of the fastest "off the mark" in the competition...his first 10-20m are electric.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
14 11 3 103 26
14 10 4 118 24
14 10 4 78 24
15 9 6 161 20
14 8 6 60 20
14 7 7 63 18
14 7 7 37 18
15 8 7 -8 18
14 7 7 -50 18