The Life Of Brian (Kelly)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
The whole Kelly thing needs perspective, like ANY rookie has been shown up at times but has also shown glimpses of skill that got him there....I mean the real Bozo is a fair judge 1 would think.
Rather than just blame Kelly for being run over in a team backpeddling - look at the real issue....the inside defenders and that ruck have been allowing play the balls like its touch footy at times and ANY centre put under this pressure will be exposed....yes I agree he has been targeted as 1 of our defensive spot players with Green, but that's life and will continue - particularly if in finals....but be very clear ....the main issue is not Kelly getting carried over the tryline by a bigger, more experienced player, its the players inside not aiming up and controlling the ruck 90% to blame.

Volley

Bencher
Good luck to the kid and his confidence. However one quality 2nd half in God knows how many games played this year doesn't make him a quality centre. He should develop more in the reggies where he can afford to make mistakes. But we are so used to mediocre that anything other than his usual performances are now considered top shelf! Everyone praises him for passing a ball or making a tackle! Wow! By his standards he should have got man of the match!

You're a debbie downer. Is it so hard to give credit where it's due?

Bencher
The simply fact is we don't have a centre ready to step up yet, so Kelly is it. We have to learn to love him, at least for the rest of the year.

Let's put things into perspective without the use of aliteration. I agree he had a good 2nd half and good on him for that. Early on in the season I was sitting on your side of the fence and giving sprays to people who were "bashing" BK. But enough time has passed for me to make a more informed assessment based on the form he has displayed all year and I agree with the view of many that he shouldn't be playing first grade for Manly. Just because he is a good likeable kid doesn't change reality. Not many rookies get opportunities like he has to showcase their skills. He is just fortunate that there is no quality centre available. He has consistently shown that he is out of his depth. He should develop his skills and strength in reserves like all the other talented hopefulls vying for an opportunity in fg.

Snake

Snake's Alive!
If we had a deeper squad and 1.2mil spare in the cap, I'm sure Kelly would have been "nursed" into first grade over a couple of seasons but we haven't had that luxury.

It's tough for the kid and it's tough for the club because we r in a unique position. He has done well at times and struggled during others. Only the absolute freakiest of talents step into FG and excel from the get go... and even then, they still have their moments (Tom T and Latrell for eg).

Kelly is not going to be on the same level as those two (he lacks the raw speed and strength) but he will be a solid first grader down the track...every club needs middle of the road players who don't break the bank but offer value...he'll be our Ricky Leutele.

manly al

First Grader
Wright has been the biggest problem on that left edge recently with his tendency to leave his wing . This has then of course not only put unnecessary pressure on Kelly but has also restricted any covering defender"s ability to nullify the outside attacking players . But until the team as a unit, can consistently adopt the aggressive , up in their face style defence and mark up effectively and hopefully this week and on wards and which they have shown at times this season , both edges will still leak points . With Kelly at present of course , it is what it is , and i am sure the main hope and expectation is that he will at least be able to just hold his own while he is out there . Also he will probably be marking Peachey this week . I clearly remember Matai 's debut against the Storm and marking Matt King and then his continued development and improvement and in all seriousness , Kelly is definitely no Steve Matai and i really can not see at this stage how he can ever be a similar rated player. However at this stage, Walker , Parker and Kelly will be our center options next season , so again , it is what it is . Personally and i know that i would be in the minority, i think it would have been better to have retained Brayden Williame instead of recruiting guys like Jono Wright . No problem in also recruiting Kelly but regardless of some of Williame"s deficiencies , he was bigger and stronger then Kelly and at least had pace and could break the line .

Mals

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Silvertails, feel free to blame the winger or centre, based on your whim.

It was never Jamie's fault when wolfman came off his wing. It is Kelly's fault that wright is coming in.
Exactly! The only time Wright should be coming in and jamming on the opposition centre is when we are caught short on numbers and Kelly needs to take an opposing 5/8 / fullback / back rower etc.

mave

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Where is Bozo anyway ?

images (1).jpg

Snake

Snake's Alive!
The problem is not all Matty Wright and not all Bryan Kelly...it's a combination of both and it comes down to confidence.

Watch the first Fusitua try and notice how they were both tentative in making a decision. Then they both half made decisions and that's what ultimately gave the warriors the time to get the ball wide. It was only a split second hesitation but that's all it takes.

Kelly jams in half hearted and Wright half heartedly followed. If they both jammed in hard, that they would never have been scored.

The problem is not all Matty Wright and not all Bryan Kelly...it's a combination of both and it comes down to confidence.

Watch the first Fusitua try and notice how they were both tentative in making a decision. Then they both half made decisions and that's what ultimately gave the warriors the time to get the ball wide. It was only a split second hesitation but that's all it takes.

Kelly jams in half hearted and Wright half heartedly followed. If they both jammed in hard, that they would never have been scored.
I agree. For an effective defensive structure the defenders need to be working together and doing the same things. But in the scenario you portrayed, I would think that Kelly is responsible for initiating the breach. Therefore you could argue that Wrong was in the Right as he was mimicking his inside defender. Regardless of opinion, they are both struggling defensively. They need to have a long hard chat to each other at training and back each other up. If they keep second guessing and not having faith in each other's abilities then we are royally screwed. That goes for all of them.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
@BOZO You have now officially progressed from the realms of obsession into the depths of congenital idiocy.

You have failed and continue to ignore the fact that even people that share your assessment of Kelly's form/potential are over the relentless avalanche of **** you put on the kid in every thread. We get it ... he's struggling.

No body is contesting your right to be critical, all players are subject to poor appraisal at times, but you have gone beyond that into a campaign of witch- hunt proportions.

But he is the centre we have, he is having a go, and as the prom queen and head cheerleader of Manly you had a choice .... support a 20yo Manly rookie .... or be a bagger.

Your choice lessens you ... not Kelly, who by all accounts is a respectful and decent human.
Yes I agree that Kelly would be by all accounts a decent young human and it is a shame that he does not play like a descent NRL player
I am entitled to my views as a passionate manly supporter and you are entitled to yours and if Kelly defended on the field the way you defend him on this forum he would be a star just like you . :)

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
I think Waqa Blake plays right centre so will mark Kelly (unless Blake goes to wing to cover for DWZ... they've got so much depth, they'll probably get Whare back!)

I have heard it said that centre is one of the most difficult spots to defend in the modern game.
I have also heard that most up and coming centres don't ever make it in the NRL because they have proven they cant defend against fast and powerful opposition ;)

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
But if you'd like to chat line breaks for the season bozo

Kelly 9 at 0.4 per game
Your hero Roberts 12 at 0.6 per game

Not really a glaring difference is there ?

Toss in line break assists

Kelly 5 for the season
Roberts 1

Last edited:

mave

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
But if you'd like to chat line breaks for the season bozo

Kelly 9 at 0.4 per game
Your hero Roberts 12 at 0.6 per game

Not really a glaring difference is there ?

Toss in line break assists

Kelly 5 for the season
Roberts 1

Can you please stop using facts and logic to back up your alternative position.
It makes it too difficult to argue against.

Team P W L PD Pts
14 11 3 103 26
14 10 4 118 24
14 10 4 78 24
15 9 6 161 20
14 8 6 60 20
14 7 7 63 18
14 7 7 37 18
15 8 7 -8 18
14 7 7 -50 18
14 7 7 -79 18
15 7 7 28 17