The Joel Thompson Thread (Any Off-topic discussion will be deleted)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Great signing. My Dragon supporting mates are pissed off, so that’s good enough for me @:p (plus Joel started out with my home team, the mighty Forbes Magpies).

• 🤝
Reactions: Ned
I think we will have to wait about a month to know just where we stand with the NRL with regard to the cap and signings, but I can't see this falling through.

According to foxsports

“Despite the Sea Eagles announcing prior to Christmas the signing of Thompson on a two-year deal the contract has not yet been submitted to the NRL and will likely not be approved until the club can prove it will be salary cap compliant for the 2018 season.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/0a4d316b4682ee80ea6a975f837a1870
This 'story' about not approving new contracts is a beat-up or else the NRL is even more of a shonky shambles than we thought.
If true it means after issuing a provisional breach notice and they have then gone on to decide a penalty (affecting our 2018 cap) even before Manly has had a chance to put their case.
Moreover it means they have already imposed that cap penalty before Manly has even had a chance to put its case.
Ludicrous.

This 'story' about not approving new contracts is a beat-up or else the NRL is even more of a shonky shambles than we thought.
If true it means after issuing a provisional breach notice and they have then gone on to decide a penalty (affecting our 2018 cap) even before Manly has had a chance to put their case.
Moreover it means they have already imposed that cap penalty before Manly has even had a chance to put its case.
Ludicrous.
For the NRL nothing is impossible or ludicrous- hanging Brett Stewart before any evidence was considered was a perfect example

Yes you make a fair point but where's the natural justice? If we are later proved to have historical cap breaches then impose a penalty. As it stands we have already been penalised by missing Pearce, and if they are effectively freezing our 2018 cap then giving Manly the right of reply is a mere charade.

According to foxsports Thompson contract has not even been lodged with NRL and won’t be registered until we are cleared of cap breaches

“Despite the Sea Eagles announcing prior to Christmas the signing of Thompson on a two-year deal the contract has not yet been submitted to the NRL and will likely not be approved until the club can prove it will be salary cap compliant for the 2018 season.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/0a4d316b4682ee80ea6a975f837a1870
Funny i was just about to ask this question , has he been registered with the nrl to play with us and the answer sounds like no .

It was mentioned in an article straight after the signing that an NRL official mentioned the contract hadn’t been lodged, so interesting to see what is going on with the situation. All parties including Joel seem to think it’s aigned sealed and delivered.

Ludicrous.
Yeah this is a real tough one.

Assuming that in the breach notice the club is still responding too, it states a suggested penalty of $400k in our 2018 cap, as has been reported.

Would the NRL be negligent if after issuing such notice, and before the cap issue is determined, they registered contracts of players who would have to be released if that cap penalty is imposed?

If Man isn't cap compliant we need to then offload players or play for no points Yeah?

From NRL perspective It is a difficult time of year to find a club who have $400k free if Man had to off load a player.

I don't know the answer and suspect it depends on how contracts are written. But could there then contract issues for the NRL if not all teams are competing for points? Are the NRL in some way liable for the detriment Man or the players involved suffer as a consequence of registering a contract, aware of the breach notice, and the possibility Man is then Exceeding the 2018 Cap.

Given the numbers mentioned. It is Hard to see it effecting Thompson being registered.

Where it really gets interesting is Hodgko.

If Hodgko can't train with our squad for the next 4 weeks. If he hasn't been released by the knights then he can't. Surely one of the kids has that starting 6 spot.

If things go the clubs way with that breach notice, I guess we then have room for one more player before June 30.

If the Hodgko contract isnt otherwise subject to limitations of time, or withdrawn by both the parties by then. I guess Hodgko comes on board sometime before June 30?

Hmm with the uncertainty of it all, it must almost mean Hodgko is only cover at best and that is with a CAPITAL "IF".

Hastings and Croker better be ready for Monday. ****s getting real;-)

Yeah this is a real tough one.

Assuming that in the breach notice the club is still responding too, it states a suggested penalty of $400k in our 2018 cap, as has been reported.

Would the NRL be negligent if after issuing such notice, and before the cap issue is determined, they registered contracts of players who would have to be released if that cap penalty is imposed?

If Man isn't cap compliant we need to then offload players or play for no points Yeah?

From NRL perspective It is a difficult time of year to find a club who have $400k free if Man had to off load a player.

I don't know the answer and suspect it depends on how contracts are written. But could there then contract issues for the NRL if not all teams are competing for points? Are the NRL in some way liable for the detriment Man or the players involved suffer as a consequence of registering a contract, aware of the breach notice, and the possibility Man is then Exceeding the 2018 Cap.

Given the numbers mentioned. It is Hard to see it effecting Thompson being registered.

Where it really gets interesting is Hodgko.

If Hodgko can't train with our squad for the next 4 weeks. If he hasn't been released by the knights then he can't. Surely one of the kids has that starting 6 spot.

If things go the clubs way with that breach notice, I guess we then have room for one more player before June 30.

If the Hodgko contract isnt otherwise subject to limitations of time, or withdrawn by both the parties by then. I guess Hodgko comes on board sometime before June 30?

Hmm with the uncertainty of it all, it must almost mean Hodgko is only cover at best and that is with a CAPITAL "IF".

Hastings and Croker better be ready for Monday. ****s getting real;-)

Interesting perspective.

I am not convinced that Hodgko would get the starting spot even if he came today, and I can't see us paying $400k for him as has been suggested.

When I was a young fella I played for Red Bend Catholic Collage. Seems to be a few Forbes fellas on here
My nieces and nephews went to that school, now in there late 30’s / early 40’s, perhaps you were there at the same time!

I'm 30 so would be a little before my time

Probably , thought I’d ask though.

And no we don’t come from the area , my home town is Moree, by brother sent his kids to Forbes, I sent mine to Toowoomba.

I'm on record as saying JT is no BK. But....
that being said, he will add starch to the pack, and now as a Manly player he has my full support!!!!!!

As always GO MANLY.

I'm on record as saying JT is no BK. But....
that being said, he will add starch to the pack, and now as a Manly player he has my full support!!!!!!

As always GO MANLY.
As long as he is better than Myles

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8