The Joel Thompson Thread (Any Off-topic discussion will be deleted)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I watched the 2008 Grand Final last night (brings a tear to my eye every time I see Beaver run down the left flank, pass it off to Robertson, who manages that over the shoulder pass back to Menzies for his fairy tail try !), and I remember thinking to myself, we'll never have a backrow as good as Watmough, Menzies, Stewart & Buhrer ever again.

I have to say though, this backrow is coming darned close. Thompson was a league leader (not top) in many categories last few seasons. Sironen seems to give our whole team a lift, and seems to take us to a new level (and we struggled without him), then there's Jake, who, well - is Jake. Then we have an open spot for a raft of players vying for the last position.

Some have said (including Barrett) that Lane has really impressed the most this pre-season. Maybe he gets that bench spot?

What makes these guys (in my opinion) a really good shot of being up there with the best, is their age.
X Joel Thompson (29) - Country Origin already
X Curtis Sironen (24) - City Origin already
X Jake Trbojevic (23) - Australian International already

X Shaun Lane (23)
X Jack Gosiewski (23)
X Kelepi Tanginoa (23) - people say he'd make a backrower

then some wily vets, who I think are amazing:

X Frank Winterstein (31)
X Lewis Brown (31)

I'd say we are pretty rich. Competition will be super fierce for spots, and that also bodes well.

I watched the 2008 Grand Final last night (brings a tear to my eye every time I see Beaver run down the left flank, pass it off to Robertson, who manages that over the shoulder pass back to Menzies for his fairy tail try !), and I remember thinking to myself, we'll never have a backrow as good as Watmough, Menzies, Stewart & Buhrer ever again.

I have to say though, this backrow is coming darned close. Thompson was a league leader (not top) in many categories last few seasons. Sironen seems to give our whole team a lift, and seems to take us to a new level (and we struggled without him), then there's Jake, who, well - is Jake. Then we have an open spot for a raft of players vying for the last position.

Some have said (including Barrett) that Lane has really impressed the most this pre-season. Maybe he gets that bench spot?

What makes these guys (in my opinion) a really good shot of being up there with the best, is their age.

X Shaun Lane (23)
X Jack Gosiewski (23)

X Frank Winterstein (31)
X Lewis Brown (31)

I'd say we are pretty rich. Competition will be super fierce for spots, and that also bodes well.

I would have to agree with you in saying that this back row could challenge the best we have had. Thompson and Terbo are both work horses and very aggressive. Thompson will also add some real edge attacking potency we have been missing for some time. Not to mention both these guys defence that will really instill confidence on our goal line. Then we have Siro who has grown into a great genuine 2nd rower. This guy can play. With another year under his belt I tip him to have a massive year for us with his 2nd phase play and ball playing ability. I feel the balance is now right for these 3 to really pull us in the right direction surprising a few.
Each of these guys are a genuine threat across the field and really looking forward to see it in action.

X Shaun Lane (23)
X Jack Gosiewski (23)

X Frank Winterstein (31)
X Lewis Brown (31)

I watched it again for about the 20 th time and still feel in awe at the truly great Manly performance that day . Just so pleasing also to see again how good and important Bret Stewart and Matty Balin were in particular in that game and in contrast to how unfortunately they both left the club with ordinary form and injury concerns . Almost the complete performance from any premiership winners in living memory . The Manly forward depth is noticeable and impressive this year , hope of course that it can translate into some top performances and favorable results for the approaching season .

Perfect signing. Tough, Experienced campaigner. The type of player we needed in a position we needed. Best of all I feel this bloke is on the up and just hitting his peak.

He had a couple of games this year for the dragons, which I remember saying to a mate, he has taken his game up another level. Even in 2017 he wouldn't have been out of place in an origin jersey for mine.

If a new club, means even more to prove, brings even more out of him. I will be surprised if he doesn't find himself in sky blue in the next couple of years. Massive signing.

He could add starch to the natural ability of sirro,will be a great back row of that happens,sirro is just a bit soft imo .I like Thompson's signing

Thompson is a great pickup on all levels. Most importantly he grings real toughness and experience to our starting backrow and our overall backrow depth. He will inspire respect from Lane/Winterstein/Gosiewksi/Tanginoa etc in the competition for the last bench spot available, by working extremely hard with Jake and leading by example. If Sironen continues to step up in 2018, and his work ethic continues to evolve alongside Thompson & Jake, we have the makings of a pretty special backrow. I believe Thompson and Jake will compete even harder in 2018 (and thats saying something), as this combination Jake/Thompson/Siro will bring out the best in them. Brown even adds balance to the backrow depth with Thompson on board.

He's going to have a massive affect on both the on field, and off field culture of this team. Takes no ****. Is aggressive. I hope his attitude rubs off on the playing group. Outstanding man and player.

Thompson is GOLD, check this out !

1. NRL‏Verified account @NRL 4h4 hours ago

http://NRL.com predicts how the @SeaEagles will line up in #NRL Round 1: http://www.nrl.com/news/2017/12/29/manly-sea-eagles-predicted-round-1-line-up-jamie-soward-on-who-plays-five-eighth/?utm_source=NRLTWContent&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=NetworkContent …

DRiehfuUIAAmxZI.jpg

13 replies 3 retweets 24 likes

2. Joel Thompson‏Verified account @joel_thompson12 3h3 hours ago

Hello Blacktown
    1f633.png
    1f602.png

12 replies 14 retweets 87 likes

Should help Kelly out with his defence on that left edge. Having someone of Joel's experience and presence will give Kelly some confidence and he should also learn a bit about defending in one of the most trafficked areas on the field given Joel has played a bit of centre in his day. Green, Kelly and Frankenstein had their moments last year where it all went awry, it's a whole new look left edge this year and I'm hoping a lot more watertight.

If you can get 80 mins out of your backrow then it gives you options on the bench. Extra props or an wrecking ball who is only good in 10 Min bursts.
Great signing but would have liked more to cover the loss of
Snake
Skivvy
BJ
Myles
Green

That's a lot of cash and experience off the books.

Saw this myself and thought, gee this guy has a sense of humour as well!!

Great stuff big fella

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8