The Joel Thompson Thread (Any Off-topic discussion will be deleted)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
good signing and may be one of the last for this season but that should be ok if the team keep working as a team and improving on the basics they started last season.

have a look at his farewell post to the dragons on instagram, seems like a quality bloke:
https://www.instagram.com/_joel.thompson_/

for those that don't want to click here is the message he put up:

• _joel.thompson_I wanted to let everyone know that I’ve signed with the Manly Sea Eagles for the next 2 seasons.
    It was one of the hardest decisions I’ve had to make in my football career but I feel it’s the correct one for my family and I.
    I’ve loved every minute of the last 4 years at the Dragons. The fans, my team mates & staff (especially lil Mick/Ray) thank you for everything that you guys have done for me over the years.
    It’s been an honour and a privilege to play for the mighty Dragons. I wish you guys nothing but the best in the future
    It’s now time to earn the respect of my new team mates, staff and fans. I’m excited to challenge myself again and rip in for a big 2018 with the mighty Manly Sea Eagles
    Merry Christmas

Good signing, and great news! ... more than anything it is his aggression that will make the biggest difference, it is infectious and Something our pack has been short of.

2nd row depth is no longer an issue ....

Thompson, Siro, Winterstein, Kelepi, "JetSki", Lane, Brown .....

PSS. Don't say goodbye to Frankie yet .... he may just have a big year.

I think Frankie is more suited to being an impact player off the bench. The bloke could be a weapon if he plays shorter minutes than he did last season.

Add the impact of Sipley, that young Ex Rabbit backrower and young Paseka, who is training with the big boys and this pack seems to have a tussle to make that 17 which is good.
Thompson will start and offers great edge running, particularly near the line, but his main asset that is a perfect match for Manly - his defence is rock solid and will help nullify those easy edge tries we seen in 2016/17 and the outside men will appreciate his “no panic” experience in these situations also

Add the impact of Sipley, that young Ex Rabbit backrower and young Paseka, who is training with the big boys and this pack seems to have a tussle to make that 17 which is good.
Thompson will start and offers great edge running, particularly near the line, but his main asset that is a perfect match for Manly - his defence is rock solid and will help nullify those easy edge tries we seen in 2016/17 and the outside men will appreciate his “no panic” experience in these situations also
He will also be making some ball players and hole runners have a little bo-peep a few times and have a few reservations about running down that side....

Merry Xmas y'all. I've said it before. Will say it again. Experience rough edge forward is what I see we need. Today's signing has me grinning. A young bloke can steer. But this is where the real work is at. Move us up 3 places on that ladder with this signing;-). Wooooo

Absolutely stoked we've signed Thompson, brilliant signing. Was pretty butthurt when the rumour died down although now that it's confirmed it's even better.

The back row will be ruthless. Such a vital defencive section has been strengthened and the attack on both edges more lethal. Hard running, brave backrower. A leader and most importantly a mentally strong player, will radiate that strength throughout the playing squad

That mental strength has been missing for a few years, and last season was faded. We need that one extra player like Thompson to lead by example and show the side the way. We had games last season where the side gave in when the going got tough, and other games where we were a resilient, tough side. With joel that inconsistency should itself fade

We are still shy a good prop I reckon. Backrow depth is OK now with Thompson + Siro, Frank, Brown, Lane, Gossie.

Kapow, Darcy and AFB need some depth. Maybe Tanginoa steps up - club must have seen something because they extended him for another year. Perret had some good moments last year, but just lacks a bit of leg drive and dynamism for mine. History shows that young props take a while to mature so not sure on Sipley and TP just yet. Do we think about moving Jake back to the front row ??

Thompson is a fantastic addition to the squad and really adds depth into an area that was looking a bit thin on quality

Like many i was disappointed we stopped chasing earlier although Pearce would have been a very good signing as well.

Now we have:
Thompson - good experienced backrower
Sirro - Talented but inconsistent however we looked a much better side when he played.
Frank - solid backup and maybe more suited to impact play rather than 80 minutes which he can now achieve, mature as well.
Tanginoa - Impact off the bench in his one game last year, could easily cement a spot in the 17
Jack Rabbit - the big unknown. Hampered with injuries and most don't come back from that but some do. Highly rated junior
Lewis Brown - been there, done that so nothing will phase him. Mr fix it which really hurts his play, jack of all trades, expert of none. When playing just backrow is another decent backup but suspect his time is coming to an end in first grade NRL.

We are still shy a good prop I reckon. Backrow depth is OK now with Thompson + Siro, Frank, Brown, Lane, Gossie.

Kapow, Darcy and AFB need some depth. Maybe Tanginoa steps up - club must have seen something because they extended him for another year. Perret had some good moments last year, but just lacks a bit of leg drive and dynamism for mine. History shows that young props take a while to mature so not sure on Sipley and TP just yet. Do we think about moving Jake back to the front row ??

Props are hard to tell, i thought Perret played ok and will get better.

As stated also have Sipley and Tent who both have are highly rated as juniors coming through. Gamble is there but only need a 1/3 return to come up winners.

Perret did make Mals young origin squad (about 10 players) so there must be something he likes.

I think Frankie is more suited to being an impact player off the bench. The bloke could be a weapon if he plays shorter minutes than he did last season.

I believe with the departure of Green and the inclusion of Thompson that you will see a vey different pattern of attack on the left edge .... Winterstein has always been capable and willing, but Green always preferred the cut out ball.

Fantastic signing and a bonus we may use him in centres when dylan out.
He help and hopefully push along likes of jack G, lane, siro. This would push frank to bench and maybe lewis brown to nsw cup.

I believe with the departure of Green and the inclusion of Thompson that you will see a vey different pattern of attack on the left edge .... Winterstein has always been capable and willing, but Green always preferred the cut out ball.
Left edge attacking structures directed by either Hastings or Croker could also offer some contrasts with Hastings probably more of a ball distributing type role and Croker maybe noted more as a running style 5/8 . It was often noted last season how Frank was regularly used a a decoy runner [ and an effective one apparently ] but one would think that with Thompson on that left edge , that he would be utilized more as a go to man hitting a left edge . Not aware if Thompson has any off loading traits [ but probably does not necessarily need them with his hard running style and mainly as a hole runner .]

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6