The boring non-Manly Final series 2018

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Have to disagree there mate. The Souffs player made zero effort to get out of the way. And he was right in line with where the pass was going. He's got to make some kind of effort.
He was on his haunches,the pass hit him fairly low,very grey area I know.

I agree
Also watching this finals series it really has not lived up to other years
Living in Sydney there has not been the same build up to games as previous years
Look at the crowds really Saturday night should of got at least 60,000 and only 19,000 to Friday nights game.
The day we get back competing deep into September will be the day the finals come good again..hate having my Souths mates enjoying September this year.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the games have been all that bad. Its just that the lack of crowds have made it not feel like Finals football, even for those of us who only get to watch it on the telly.

Saturday night's game at ANZ drew 48,188 which so far is the largest attendance of the Finals. And that was for two of the biggest supported clubs in Sydney, Souffs and St Merge. It was only 6 years ago when the Dogs vs Souffs Prelim at ANZ attracted over 70,000. And they aren't going to beat that next week. Even if the SFS is full for the Chooks vs Souffs (and no doubt it will be), that's still only 45,500. The Storm vs Sharks game will be lucky to attract much more than 20,000 because they've stupidly put it directly up against the AFL Prelim at the MCG between Richmond and Melbourne.

For us here, Manly not being involved may have a lot to do with it. Believe me there is the same feeling in Adelaide right now with neither the Adelaide Crows or Port Power being involved in the AFL Finals. Its a dead feeling.

For myself, this is like a holiday with nothing to do until the cricket, basketball and speedway seasons start.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I don't think the games have been all that bad. Its just that the lack of crowds have made it not feel like Finals football, even for those of us who only get to watch it on the telly.

Saturday night's game at ANZ drew 48,188 which so far is the largest attendance of the Finals. And that was for two of the biggest supported clubs in Sydney, Souffs and St Merge. It was only 6 years ago when the Dogs vs Souffs Prelim at ANZ attracted over 70,000. And they aren't going to beat that next week. Even if the SFS is full for the Chooks vs Souffs (and no doubt it will be), that's still only 45,500. The Storm vs Sharks game will be lucky to attract much more than 20,000 because they've stupidly put it directly up against the AFL Prelim at the MCG between Richmond and Melbourne.

For us here, Manly not being involved may have a lot to do with it. Believe me there is the same feeling in Adelaide right now with neither the Adelaide Crows or Port Power being involved in the AFL Finals. Its a dead feeling.

For myself, this is like a holiday with nothing to do until the cricket, basketball and speedway seasons start.

Also,agree
The games have not been that bad being a member out at Anz stadium myself been to both finals games out there and will be going to the GF in 2 weeks time.
The finals series just feels like this year it never got going.

We are currently like the Smurfs from that episode where they were put under a spell and kept on chanting "We don't care. We don't care", We'll still watch the games, still pass comment and judgement on what we see and hear, but we really couldn't give a rats backside because Manly aren't playing.

We're only watching because we happen to love the game of rugby league.

I’ve switched off to Manly now until next year, I however might get a bit excited if we announce a better coach and support staff and add 2-3 reasonable quality players.

In the meantime I really enjoyed both games at the weekend, it’s actually nice to watch a final where you really don’t give a shot who wins AND let’s face it two 1 point games was great REGARDLESS of who played.

I just hope the Drizzle get knocked out, don’t think I could stand 4 hours of Billy love AND you just know he’ll win the Clive Churchill medal if they play!!

I missed the game because of work. But having watched the replay of that set a few times, Mann totally ****ed it up. He had a 3 man overlap. When hunt passed it too him , he didnt even look, just ran straight into the defence . He needed to catch and pass and dragons probly score a match winning try. So im giving cutting Hunt some slack. Because it was on for sure. Also the penelty against the hooker for passing into the defender laying on the ground was absolute crap. If that happened to us id probly have a heart attack. Such a bad call from the ref.

Chances are that Sat nights game will be a full house but get this
Gates open 4.30pm
Game starts 7.40pm
So nothing on for three hours, who's going to get there at 4.30?
The ISP Cup Grand Final is on at Leichhardt Oval at 3.10 on Sunday, why not put in on as the curtain raiser on Saturday?

Friday night in Melbourne
Yes they're up against the AFL - so dumb but TV rules the draw.
They've got the women's game on before that, wow that'll pull in the fans!

Also,agree
The games have not been that bad being a member out at Anz stadium myself been to both finals games out there and will be going to the GF in 2 weeks time.
The finals series just feels like this year it never got going.
I think most fans are getting jaded with the game - the terrible NRL leadership, the refereeing, a somewhat scripted feel, certain clubs (particularly one) with an endless cap that gets more ridiculous each year. The wrestle, the crusher tackles - then we look at the women's game and we are reminded what rugby league used to be like and it was a much better specta; unfortunately, I can see them going down the same path once money starts to play a bigger factor in the 'product'.

Chances are that Sat nights game will be a full house but get this
Gates open 4.30pm
Game starts 7.40pm
So nothing on for three hours, who's going to get there at 4.30?
The ISP Cup Grand Final is on at Leichhardt Oval at 3.10 on Sunday, why not put in on as the curtain raiser on Saturday?

Friday night in Melbourne
Yes they're up against the AFL - so dumb but TV rules the draw.
They've got the women's game on before that, wow that'll pull in the fans!

I can understand playing Saturday's game at the SFS as its a Chooks home game. But you would have to think that if they played it at ANZ they would get at least 60,000 to see Chooks vs Souffs. Having it at the SFS is going to deprive at least 15-20,000 the chance to go to the game.

Yes, the ISP Cup GF should be a curtain raiser to the game at the SFS. Who was the dummy who made the decision to play the game at Leichhardt the next day?

But still, that's not as dumb as playing Melbourne vs the Sharks on Friday night in Melbourne up against the Richmond vs Melbourne AFL Preliminary Final next door at the MCG. One is going to attract 90-95,000+, the other will be lucky to attract 20,000. As you said, television rules still.

Hands up those who are not surprised that even though the NRL regained control of the draw this year, they are still basically catering to the wants of their broadcast benefactors?

I think most fans are getting jaded with the game - the terrible NRL leadership, the refereeing, a somewhat scripted feel, certain clubs (particularly one) with an endless cap that gets more ridiculous each year. The wrestle, the crusher tackles - then we look at the women's game and we are reminded what rugby league used to be like and it was a much better specta; unfortunately, I can see them going down the same path once money starts to play a bigger factor in the 'product'.
The reffing is at an all time low. Was just thinking (thanks to mr jack daniels). That they need to just go to a system where every game is reffed like a state of origin. Let all the little things go and just ping the outrageous obvious things. Cause atm one ref has different ideas to the other refs and its just crap.

The reffing is at an all time low. Was just thinking (thanks to mr jack daniels). That they need to just go to a system where every game is reffed like a state of origin. Let all the little things go and just ping the outrageous obvious things. Cause atm one ref has different ideas to the other refs and its just crap.

And this is what I have laughed at all season quite frankly.

Prior to this year, everyone...the fans, the media, we were all screaming for referees to do their jobs properly and actually referee games and call penalties for things like incorrect play the balls etc etc instead of continually letting it go. This year they have gone and done pretty much exactly that - started penalising just about everything, and suddenly everyone is moaning about how bad the refs have been and that they are blowing too many penalties for stupid little things and its killing the game blah blah blah.

Be careful what you wish for.

One thing I won't argue with though is that save one or two exceptions like Cecchin and maybe Atkins, the current crop of NRL referees including the protected Sutton's and that idiot Klein are just about the worst referees I have seen in my 36 years of following Manly and the game itself. And that's before we get to the buffoon's who populate the bunker.

Last edited:
Most of them have no game smarts, which comes from never having played the game. What irks me most of all are nit picking 50-50 penalties late in the tackle count. Do that not realise (or not care) what a massive impact they have on the result? Its ridiculous the extent to which refs now determine games.

Personally I think they know exactly what impact those decisions have on games. Yet Manly are the ones who got investigated for match fixing o_O

Darcy Lawler couldn't have done a better job.

FMD, even Mogsheen Jadwat was better than most of the current NRL referees.

Yes, the reffing is at an all time low but that is driven from above - we just need every game reffed with the confidence of their convictions, if they're right - all good, if they're wrong - they know the consequences.
Only problem with "letting the little things go" is that the line gets blurred between "little" and "outrageously obvious".
Do 10 little things = 1 obvious thing?
Again different refs = different ideas.

Sat hi to Mr Daniels for me!

Most of them have no game smarts, which comes from never having played the game. What irks me most of all are nit picking 50-50 penalties late in the tackle count. Do that not realise (or not care) what a massive impact they have on the result? Its ridiculous the extent to which refs now determine games.

How else is the NRL going to determine outcomes? Back in the 90s there was probably 1 reffing clanger that cost a team a game a month. Now there’s at least 1 a week. The players no longer determine the results because they are no longer playing a sport.

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8
9 4 5 -19 8