[Resurrected] Taupau being shopped?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
People always rave on about Marty. No doubt he’s a good forward but not some monster like he’s made out to be. I’d take ~200k in cap to spend and Vaughn as a replacement any day of the week.
Vaughan won't be getting a contract registered by the NRL next season and certainly not to us of all clubs

100% agree Gosiewski, Boyle, Siro should all be leaving first and foremost. Purely hypothetical, as Marty would be a lot more desirable to another club than Suli. I have appreciated everything Marty has done for the club, and would be very happy for him to stay.

An extra few hundred thousand though sounds pretty good IF we could jag a quality FB back up. Truly feel that moving forward our front row depth will be fine, but there is a massive void at our club re quality fullbacks - probably the most important individual position in today's game.

With Croker's progression, now Lawton, plus possible Fainu, and Cust, and future guys like Chan Kum Tong, Birt, etc, we have definitely solved our 9 issue. Centre's looking much better too. But back 3 depth is horrible. Can you imagine turbo, and saab/garrick out at the same time? Everyone keeps harping on about Koula (much in the same way as Hopoate), and Tuipuloto too, but I'm not convinced...
Have you watched Koula play? He’s a speed demon & a solid boy! Plays Centre /FB & wing ata pinch! The kid was courted by Rugby Yawnion & still is. Played Australia Junior Wallabies before progressing to league which he prefers. Obviously people with far more knowledge of talent than you rate him highly & are convinced.

Vaughan is poison no matter how cheap he would be.

I doubt our sponsors would be happy with us signing him and we would have the press all over us.
Sponsors want to win. I highly doubt we would lose any sponsors by signing Vaughan.

800K is a big chunk of cap but Vaughan (prior to being sacked), Tamololo, Fifita and now Haas reported to be offered $1M + Taupau is as good as any of these guys and a stand up individual off the field.

I can understand the numbers being the reason but he will be a big loss to the club if he does leave

800K is a big chunk of cap but Vaughan (prior to being sacked), Tamololo, Fifita and now Haas reported to be offered $1M + Taupau is as good as any of these guys and a stand up individual off the field.

I can understand the numbers being the reason but he will be a big loss to the club if he does leave
There are plenty of props around that 800k that are no better. Andrew Fifita, Campell-Gillard, Klemmer, Broomich, Tohu Harris, Junior Paulo,

I would be happy for us to extend his contract and keep him around until 2023, but on a reduced contract for his final year. I think his second stints when he comes back on are usually great and needed, most times we go to another level and get that second wind.

I think we should focus on youth, so if we let Taupau go, it's on a swap deal with Tevita Pangai Junior (as a middle forward). Short leash type of deal.

08. Tevita Pangai Junior
09. Manase Fainu
10. Taniela Paseka
11. Haumole Olakau'atu
12. Josh Schuster
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Karl Lawton
15. Sean Keppie
16. Josh Aloiai
17. Andrew Davey

With Saddler, Sipley, Croker depth.

That means I let Cust , Gosiewski, Boyle, Sironen, Suli, Funa all go (along with Taupau)...hope that is enough for TPJ.

01. Tom Trbojevic
02. Jason Saab
03. Morgan Harper
04. Dylan Walker
05. Reuben Garrick
06. Kieran Foran
07. Daly Cherry-Evans

The backs. Brad Parker depth.

I hate the idea or signing TPJ. People forgetting that the 15th place Broncos want to get rid of him and that he has been an inconsistent liability for years that has flashes of brilliance and even more flashes of stupid. Not worth the risk when our pack is very close to being dominant already. I’d move Jake to prop, Davey or Lawton to lock, Schuster 12, sign some winger depth and fullback depth, release suli and if Vaughan truly is cheap i’d buy him for the bench. Respect Taupau but he is too slow and doesn’t really bend the line even though he is good for making metres consistently. Just not worth 800K or so anymore (definitely used to).

8. Taniela Paseka
9. Fainu/Croker
10. Jake Trbojevic
11. Haumole Olakatau
12. Josh Schuster
13. Andrew Davey/Lawton
Bench
14. Lawton/Davey
15. Paul Vaughan
16. Josh Aloiai
17. Toafofoa Sipley
Reserves
18. Burbo
19. Keppie
20. De Luis

It would be seamless. Paseka gets tired and then Sipley comes on. Jake gets tired then Vaughan comes on. Aloiai comes on at second row to give Olakauatu a breather, before moving to prop for a short stint after Olakautau is subbed back on for Sipley. Jake/Paseka sub back on for Aloiai/Vaughan and Lawton gives Davey a rest, roaming at lock (staying on as long as he is effective)

I like the sound of it. Versstile pack filled with stars and the dynamic of the pack could shift as the game goes on. Premiership winning imo and filled with leaders and hard workers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate the idea or signing TPJ. People forgetting that the 15th place Broncos want to get rid of him and that he has been an inconsistent liability for years that has flashes of brilliance and even more flashes of stupid. Not worth the risk when our pack is very close to being dominant already. I’d move Jake to prop, Davey or Lawton to lock, Schuster 12, sign some winger depth and fullback depth, release suli and if Vaughan truly is cheap i’d buy him for the bench. Respect Taupau but he is too slow and doesn’t really bend the line even though he is good for making metres consistently. Just not worth 800K or so anymore (definitely used to).

8. Taniela Paseka
9. Fainu/Croker
10. Jake Trbojevic
11. Haumole Olakatau
12. Josh Schuster
13. Andrew Davey/Lawton
Bench
14. Lawton/Davey
15. Paul Vaughan
16. Josh Aloiai
17. Toafofoa Sipley
Reserves
18. Burbo
19. Keppie
20. De Luis

It would be seamless. Paseka gets tired and then Sipley comes on. Jake gets tired then Vaughan comes on. Aloiai comes on at second row to give Olakauatu a breather, before moving to prop for a short stint after Olakautau is subbed back on for Sipley. Jake/Paseka sub back on for Aloiai/Vaughan and Lawton gives Davey a rest, roaming at lock (staying on as long as he is effective)

I like the sound of it. Versstile pack filled with stars and the dynamic of the pack could shift as the game goes on. Premiership winning imo and filled with leaders and hard workers.
Jake aint a prop. Doesn't make enough metres. Is a middle forward. Don't think we need 3 props on the bench either.

If walk is re-signed on a cheaper deal and Foran is on a cheap deal I don't see where we spend 7 million ( big three of turbo, DCE, Jake take up 3 million )
If we don't sign Siro 400? Suli 550? goes end of 2022 or earlier, other than Marty where does the salary cap go?

I can see in 3 years the young guys commanding more but by then DCE deal will be up.

Cheap players ATM:
Garrick
Saab
Harper
Parker
Foz
Lawton
Haumole
Croaker
Sipley
Davey
Walker?

Plus the Blacktown fringe players

Vaughn and Tevita Jnr? What are people thinking?!!
His former coach says Vaughn is not leadership material and likes to party with the younger players. His values include Hey let's disobey our club coach and then lie about it. He can play but to put him in a young playing squad would be a crazy risk from a culture viewpoint.
The other guy? Off-field seedy contacts and dramas. Now in his 6th NRL season, and aside from odd flashes has never lived up to the potential.
They are the sort of player you would try to keep and work with if they were your own talented troubled juniors but to deliberately bring them into your squad? Ah, no thanks! Just my opinion.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4