talkinsport

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

swoop

Bencher
Tipping Member
Crimes and Misdemeanors - the Melbourne storm story.

The Full Monty - a story of a rugby league team who visits coffs harbour.

The Elephant Man - staring Nate Myles

Groundhog Day - the South sydney story.

Vyssini

Reserve Grader
Take the Money and Run- Starring de$, cru$her, trex....

Deception- Starring the chihuahuas' ceo, head coach and chief fluffer (Mrs Visible).

MadMarcus

Toovey for NRL CEO
BIG - The George Rose Story.

The Horse in the Gray Flannel Suit - The story of a CEO who couldn't apologise
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063091/

MrInvisible

Reserve Grader
Alien vs Predator - Rebecca Wilson interviewing Lote Tiquiri
Gone in 60 Seconds - The story of how quickly the Storms books disappeared when NRL came knocking.
Under Siege - Story of my user account on here :D

ManlyBacker said:
Jethro said:
Technical Coach, did you ever read the reports from the court case that DSM5 provided us here daily? By the sounds of your posts, you are judging your gut feelings on incorrect reports from the press.

I can provide you the link if required.

Yeah TC, you have come in on a serious Manly issue and if you haven't read the full summary of every day of the court case then you are way behind the facts. DSM5 did an outstanding job and you owe it to yourself, and especially as a Manly fan, to get the link from Jethro before coming out with your theories. Every fan at the time followed the daily court evidence and have drawn strong conclusions by the evidence presented in his trial. Every thing else is speculation and is a sore point for those who took the time to understand the charges and the fabrication by some witnesses. There was nothing reasonable about the press coverage, the fact that the DPP went ahead with the case or how Gallop handled it. Seriously.

People here are not understanding my view point or why i try to balance out all the positive comments with a differing point of view.

I stated at the time before and during the trial that people should keep their opinions be it on the case or the character of both parties to themselves and let the courts decide(out of respect to both) but every Tom Dick and Harry could not contain themselves.(i certainly did not express my "gut feelings" which is what everyone did in this case at that time.

I'm not suggesting or have ever thought he was guilty of the charges laid out---on the other hand i also don't believe "nothing happened" and i don't mean anything worthy of going to court.

There was never enough evidence to go to court with and i really feel sorry for both parties that it did---it was pathetic that it reached this level.

In relation to the report Jethro linked to me yesterday---i read it at the time and again late yesterday. To be brutally honest the reporting was some of the worst one sided commentary i have seen---good on detail but you could see that the reporter was trying hard to see the positive in every comment that could help Brett.

There were some comments made in the court report that i felt were negative to Brett's case but the reporter just kept on outlining the positives or twisting in favour of Brett----you could tell his colours. In saying that i do agree there were more negatives against the prosecutions case.

I don't expect people to understand me but that's life----i only mentioned them out of annoyance from the original link thinking it was a current day thread still going on to this day.

dceagle

Reserve Grader
TC , You were not there , your so called gut feel can only be drawn from inuendo, sensationalism , and very unreliable reporting .

You therfore should not ask for people here to understand you , or your point of view .

And please stop inferring that something must have happened .

It did not , and to be continually suggesting something happened is again insulting a completely innocent man .

Please now let this topic rest , out of respect for Brett .

Berkeley_Eagle said:
Good on ya TC thread was just turning good

I was asked to read the reports in a private link and during this thread also so i respectfully replied to both here.

My gut feeling is based on "human nature" past experiences and had absolutely zero to do with inuendo,sensationalism and very unreliable reporting.(I don't read the Telegraph lol)

Funny how most people supporting Manly are probably Right Wing voters---the crap we read about Manly,Bretts case and reporting in general is a disease more commonly seen in right wing tabloids---when will people learn.

When it comes to economics The Telegraph and right wing radio stations promoting fear and doom is dead on the mark within this same group(fits the Manly demographic after-all) yet these same people who support this kind of media finally see the light when it came to reporting about "one of our own" --- funny that.(maybe some will finally see the light)

The opposite standpoint could also be easily influenced by "inuendo, sensationalism , and very unreliable reporting" just fan based pride with their "own gut feelings".

Please no more public replies debating this topic as i will feel the overwhelming need to respond and we are just going around in circles.(feel free in private if you require an outlet)

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Technical Coach said:
Not sure why the Brett Stewart saga has to be opened up again---it's old news but keeping in line with the topics mentioned here are my own views.

I'm still 50/50 in both the actions taken by the NRL and if Brett is 100% innocent.

I always believe innocent until proven guilty and yes Brett was not afforded this respect but like Labour with the current issues surrounding a certain politician your in a catch 22 position if your too tough or not tough enough so you can never win.

In saying that below are things that i use to weigh up the situation.

1) Correct me if i'm wrong did Manly not inflame the situation with the first findings they delivered to the NRL not long after the incident(if i'm wrong i stand corrected been so long ago)

2)Do i think the media exaggerated what really happened---Yes, do i think something happened in some drunken larrikin capacity that may have been somewhat inappropriate---gut feeling Yes.

3)My gut feeling prediction as to what a certain close person to Brett would do after the case ended feeds a more negative outlook on the situation. I hate myself for being a gut feeling kind of guy with people(usually right though) but we are human and sometimes gut instinct is all we have even though in some respects it's shallow.

In terms of Manly and the salary cap---to me you have to be one eyed to ignore the obvious---do i care if we are breaking the cap--"no" as i hate the salary cap fullstop.

In relation to crowd figures Manly supporters will come out in their droves for quality meaningful games---The Cowboys game at the SFS i doubt any Sydney team would have attracted a larger crowd. To be honest some wet and cold day/night crowds we have had at Brookie over the years with limited comfortable seating is amazing but papers only prefer to look at the negatives when it comes to Manly and crowds.

You have blotted your copybook here TC by moving out of your technical comfort zone into the realm of gut feeling. So despite giving lip service to 'innocent until proven guilty' you are more than happy to publicly state your opinion that something unsavoury did indeed occur. Based on ... well, well that is is the problem really, isn't it? You weren't at the trial, but you claim to have somehow reached a balanced opinion based on a variety of flawed, piecemeal, and in some cases outrageously defamatory reporting. Tough luck for you if someone one day decides to defame you in public, based on their gut feeling. You know better, maybe you were having a bad night but it's still not acceptable. 'Where there's smoke there's fire' is the catch-cry of all gossip-mongering rumour merchants. Sometimes the only thing burning is an innocent man's reputation.

north coast eagle

Reserve Grader
Technical Coach said:
Berkeley_Eagle said:
Good on ya TC thread was just turning good

I was asked to read the reports in a private link and during this thread also so i respectfully replied to both here.

My gut feeling is based on "human nature" past experiences and had absolutely zero to do with inuendo,sensationalism and very unreliable reporting.(I don't read the Telegraph lol)

Funny how most people supporting Manly are probably Right Wing voters---the crap we read about Manly,Bretts case and reporting in general is a disease more commonly seen in right wing tabloids---when will people learn.

When it comes to economics The Telegraph and right wing radio stations promoting fear and doom is dead on the mark within this same group(fits the Manly demographic after-all) yet these same people who support this kind of media finally see the light when it came to reporting about "one of our own" --- funny that.(maybe some will finally see the light)

The opposite standpoint could also be easily influenced by "inuendo, sensationalism , and very unreliable reporting" just fan based pride with their "own gut feelings".

Please no more public replies debating this topic as i will feel the overwhelming need to respond and we are just going around in circles.(feel free in private if you require an outlet)
Dear TC
I respect your ability to analyse the footy, however you are way outside your area of expertise here. You have contradicted yourself several times during this post.
"Human nature" is a debate in the field of philosophy. That is to say that there is no agreement on what "Human Nature" is.
Social science however categorises perspectives of human nature, along with other beliefs and values, into ideological categories. The darker view of what human nature is -( ie that we are basically self interested and left to our own devices will cause each other harm) is a characteristic of consensus or right wing ideologies. The view that we are fundamentally co-operative and pro social is more characteristic of structuralist or left wing ideologies.
Your dim view of human nature in the Brett Stewart case demonstrates an aspect of right wing ideology in comparison to the views of the other posters here who see Brett Stewart in a much more positive light. Your opinions seem also to be based in arm chair philosophy (gut feelings) rather than science, logic or fact. This too would have much more in common with the right wing "shock jocks" that you mention rather than the posters on this site who display a healthy skepticism of media reports. Ample evidence I believe that you are actually guilty of exactly what you are ranting about in others. Rest assured however that I have given you the benefit of applying evidence and logic rather than just going with my initial "gut feeling" about your post.

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
The Muppets Take Manhattan - Parra's end of season footy trip.

Or have we moved on?

Staff online

• lsz
    First Grader
  • Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
14 11 3 103 26
14 10 4 118 24
14 10 4 78 24
15 9 6 161 20